System Contentment [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : System Contentment

L.J.
09-26-2008, 07:39 AM
Over the past few years I have been slowly upgrading and optimizing my system. Many of you have helped me along the way. I consider my setup to be very modest. I cut corners and tried to save $$$ whenever possible. Actually, I only paid full price for a few items :D

Building slowly allowed me to note improvements in sound each step of the way. Something was always a bit off to me but now I don't feel that way anymore. My system does double duty and I feel like I have a very nice balance between multi & 2 channel playback. Now I sit back and listen to my system and I'm VERY happy with it. Most of my extra cash goes toward CD's and movies now.

Now I know I'll get the bug eventually and decide to change something....but for now, I'm very happy and content with my setup.

What about you guys?

GMichael
09-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Very cool LJ,

Glad to see that you are happy with your system. Musical bliss is a good thing.

I am pretty happy with my system. There are a few upgrades that I would like to try but it's not due to me not liking what I have now. Just that curiosity of "how much better could I get?" syndrome. My receiver is a few years old so there's no HDMI. You know the reasons why I'd like to try that. I'd like a 1080p projector, but the 720p's I have now look great. And of course I'd like to try separates instead of a receiver. All of these are things that can wait. The system I have now makes me very happy.

Maybe a BFD would be fun though.

kexodusc
09-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Glad to hear you've got your priorities straight LJ.

Being a DIY/audio hobbyist, I found myself upgrading just for the sake of uprading for about 3 years - speakers, acoustic panels, amps etc.

Recent changes in work and at home have really put a tax on my free time, and to a lesser extent my wallet - we sold our home and built a new one, nuff said. Since we knew we were moving I had a good 14 month period (maybe longer) where I had a moratorium on upgrades. The sole exception was an XBOX 360 and the LPA-1 amp (due to the fried Adcom). I spent a lot more time and money listening to music (actually built a jazz collection) and watching movies...oh the odd alien got nuked on the 360 too. After that year, the upgrade bug seemed to have died down a bit.

Then the Adcom died, and the house planning hit high hear - so I suppose I did buy a new amp, 1080p projector, PS3, and am waiting for a processor or new receiver to catch my eye sometime in the next 3-6 months. (my travel in winter decreases substantially so I'll actually be able to use it). I've spent very, very little time in my new HT room, even though it's just what I wanted - havent' listened to any 2-ch music and haven't even set up the stereo system in the other room. Nor have I had time to finish wiring 6th/7th speakers and re-eq the BFD to my new room. No wall panels. I just fixed the HT sub. Haven't even had time to run YPAO. I'm surprised I could find an hour to put DVE in to get the screen looking nice

I'm eager to get to these tasks - not really upgrades per se, but living on 2.0, 3.0, 5.0, and 5.1 for just a few hrs per week has really made me appreciate what I do have again. That should satiate any hobby upgrade needs for awhile.

At risk of being flammed harshly for the current crisis, I do work in the financial services sector and the last few months have been...difficult on my line of work to say the least. I've spent more time in planes and at airports than I have thinking about audio anything.

I am loving 102 inches of 1080p in all its glory though. :D

Auricauricle
09-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Content?

Content?!

And you call yourself an audiophile!!

L.J.
09-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Very cool LJ,

Glad to see that you are happy with your system. Musical bliss is a good thing.

I am pretty happy with my system. There are a few upgrades that I would like to try but it's not due to me not liking what I have now. Just that curiosity of "how much better could I get?" syndrome. My receiver is a few years old so there's no HDMI. You know the reasons why I'd like to try that. I'd like a 1080p projector, but the 720p's I have now look great. And of course I'd like to try separates instead of a receiver. All of these are things that can wait. The system I have now makes me very happy.

Maybe a BFD would be fun though.

Exactly! This has been my story for years. Mostly a waste of money on HTIB and cheap Sony speakers :cryin:

BTW, your not gonna content 'til you get that BFD. Umm...what does the letters stand for again :D

L.J.
09-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Glad to hear you've got your priorities straight LJ.

Being a DIY/audio hobbyist, I found myself upgrading just for the sake of uprading for about 3 years - speakers, acoustic panels, amps etc.

Recent changes in work and at home have really put a tax on my free time, and to a lesser extent my wallet - we sold our home and built a new one, nuff said. Since we knew we were moving I had a good 14 month period (maybe longer) where I had a moratorium on upgrades. The sole exception was an XBOX 360 and the LPA-1 amp (due to the fried Adcom). I spent a lot more time and money listening to music (actually built a jazz collection) and watching movies...oh the odd alien got nuked on the 360 too. After that year, the upgrade bug seemed to have died down a bit.

Then the Adcom died, and the house planning hit high hear - so I suppose I did buy a new amp, 1080p projector, PS3, and am waiting for a processor or new receiver to catch my eye sometime in the next 3-6 months. (my travel in winter decreases substantially so I'll actually be able to use it). I've spent very, very little time in my new HT room, even though it's just what I wanted - havent' listened to any 2-ch music and haven't even set up the stereo system in the other room. Nor have I had time to finish wiring 6th/7th speakers and re-eq the BFD to my new room. No wall panels. I just fixed the HT sub. Haven't even had time to run YPAO. I'm surprised I could find an hour to put DVE in to get the screen looking nice

I'm eager to get to these tasks - not really upgrades per se, but living on 2.0, 3.0, 5.0, and 5.1 for just a few hrs per week has really made me appreciate what I do have again. That should satiate any hobby upgrade needs for awhile.

At risk of being flammed harshly for the current crisis, I do work in the financial services sector and the last few months have been...difficult on my line of work to say the least. I've spent more time in planes and at airports than I have thinking about audio anything.

I am loving 102 inches of 1080p in all its glory though. :D

Sounds like you need a vacation!!!

102 inches huh......blah blah blah. You guys are making my 60" Sony jealous :arf:

Looking forward to some pics.

L.J.
09-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Content?

Content?!

And you call yourself an audiophile!!

What's an audiophile :2:

Auricauricle
09-26-2008, 12:46 PM
I believe it's used to reshape a worn out stylus.

Rich-n-Texas
09-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Oh so THAT'S what them things are. I have one of them. :yesnod:

My system's dusty already. :biggrin5:

Auricauricle
09-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Yeah...Supposedly you're supposed to grind 'em down so they don't sound so bright...