Receiver and power amp or bigger receiver? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Receiver and power amp or bigger receiver?

kexodusc
03-11-2004, 03:35 PM
I'm currently looking at two options for upgrading my receiver. First, I could buy the Yamaha RX-V640 and used amplifer (probably arcam, adcom or rotel) to power my main speakers for stereo playback and lighten the burden on the receiver for movies.
Or I can buy an RX-V1400 that has a bigger power supply and more juice, as well as a few interesting but not essential features. What would you do?
Any advantages to using the power amp instead of the receiver or am I better off with investing in a larger receiver?

markw
03-11-2004, 03:51 PM
Is your current receiver missing any vital features you can't live without? Is it so outdated that it screams for replacment?

kexodusc
03-11-2004, 04:01 PM
Yes, I've moved into significantly larger room. My current Yammie RX-V795a is wonderful receiver and I've been very happy with it, but unfortunately I feel there is a large gap in the surround environment that might better be filled by a 6 or 7 channel receiver. I think 6 is probably sufficient. I'd be open to any suggestions on how to best improve my system. Currently I have two Studio 40's, two Studio 20's and a Studio center channel from Paradigm. I like them very much and don't think I can afford to upgrade speakers again anytime soon. I have a decent sub too. The newer Yamaha receivers sound a bit better than mine from what I've heard. Maybe I could keep the receiver and just add better amplification?

mtrycraft
03-11-2004, 05:54 PM
The newer Yamaha receivers sound a bit better than mine from what I've heard. Maybe I could keep the receiver and just add better amplification?

Well, don't believe everything you hear :)

I seriously doubt you have a receiver problem. How large is your room? Which surround speakers? Can you do rear center with your setup now?
Did you level match all the speakers in the new setup?

kexodusc
03-11-2004, 06:10 PM
Well, don't believe everything you hear :)

I seriously doubt you have a receiver problem. How large is your room? Which surround speakers? Can you do rear center with your setup now?
Did you level match all the speakers in the new setup?
Using Paradigm Reference Studio 20's for surround. I don't have a problem with my receiver, just wondering if I can upgrade to something that's better. It's the oldest piece in my setup. It's a DTS decoding 5.1 receiver. All the speakers are level matched (well, according to my SPL meter, however good that is). I'm sure I could better match my sub to my speakers but it's close enough for now. Bass isn't the problem. Just wondering what I can do.

mtrycraft
03-11-2004, 07:32 PM
Using Paradigm Reference Studio 20's for surround. I don't have a problem with my receiver, just wondering if I can upgrade to something that's better. It's the oldest piece in my setup. It's a DTS decoding 5.1 receiver. All the speakers are level matched (well, according to my SPL meter, however good that is). I'm sure I could better match my sub to my speakers but it's close enough for now. Bass isn't the problem. Just wondering what I can do.

Is there anything you are dissatisfied with your setup? If not, I don't see any benefit to upgrading.