What's special about the new ipod? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What's special about the new ipod?

tintern_footie
09-24-2008, 11:39 AM
I've seen commercials about a new iPod coming out..I believe it's the iPod nano? I have the "last year" version of the nano. It's the real small, square version that shows video too and it's a light blue. So what's really different about the new nano? Is it just the shape and more color choices? Cause as far as I can tell, the new 8GB holds the same amount of songs and so on. What would be a persons reason to go to this new version if you already have the "last year" version of the nano, which seems almost exactly the same?

Feanor
09-26-2008, 09:22 AM
I've seen commercials about a new iPod coming out..I believe it's the iPod nano? I have the "last year" version of the nano. It's the real small, square version that shows video too and it's a light blue. So what's really different about the new nano? Is it just the shape and more color choices? Cause as far as I can tell, the new 8GB holds the same amount of songs and so on. What would be a persons reason to go to this new version if you already have the "last year" version of the nano, which seems almost exactly the same?

Hi, t/f,

For my part, I have a Mini and no plans to upgrade unless the Mini dies. In fact if the batttery dies I might even see if I can find an after-market replacement rather than replace the whole unit. Versus the Nano, any version, I don't see a reason for me to upgrade; I only used mine for audio: no pics, no videos.

captjamo
09-26-2008, 09:40 PM

They display wide aspect when laid over (screen being a tiny bit larger) and you can give them a shake (accelerometer) during shuffle play and they will go to the next track.

Then there is the bad news for all us who bought 3rd gen nanos last year--you get 16 gigs for the same price as 8 gigs last year.:mad2:

bubbagump
10-05-2008, 09:46 AM
If you want special, find one without proprietary connectors, basic functionality such as hard bookmarking and true innovation like stereo bluetooth, high quality audio recording, a good fm tuner and an sd slot. For example, the Insignia Pilot (sadly discontinued), Creative Zen X-Fi and the Cowon D2. iPods aren't bad products but I find them limiting and occasionally frustrating. If it's iTunes that keeps you locked into Apple products, switch to Amazon drm-free downloads or buy a drm stripping tool. I have a favorite but there are several others out there that are pretty good.

Blue Meanie
10-18-2008, 03:05 PM
<snip>Cause as far as I can tell, the new 8GB holds the same amount of songs and so on.<snip>

Newsflash: A given storage space is going to hold the same amount of info (songs), no matter what the player.:smilewinkgrin: You were expecting a NEW 8GB player to hold 16GB of songs?:arf:

filecat13
10-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Mainly it's the increased storage, new form factor, newer software, more gaming options, and addition of the accelerometer for the same price.

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/features.html

I have the 3G "fatty" and see no need to upgrade, but if I didn't have an iPhone, I would get the Nano 4G anyway just for the motion-based games.

bobp
06-02-2009, 01:42 PM
do not buy an ipod whatever you do- get a creative x-f at 16 gb for the price of an 8 gb nano and get better functionality and far better sound. dose'nt have the looks or name but works like a dream and costs (reliability)nothing. better battery and screen as well as no drm an non propitry connector so you can charge it of your gps/phone/kindle charger.only downside is no linux compatibility.
bobp

GMichael
06-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Past blasters?

atomicAdam
06-03-2009, 11:55 AM
diggin up the dirt