New Vizio XVT series [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Vizio XVT series

tintern_footie
09-24-2008, 11:29 AM
I was in the market for a new tv a few months ago and ended up buying the Vizio 42" HD 1080p. But Now, I saw that Vizio came out with a new series called XVT. They currently have 3 tv's in the XVT series. The biggest one is the VP505XVT 50” Full HD 1080p Plasma, then there is the SV420 and SV470 (both in 42” or 47” Full HD LCD). Would it be completely unreasonable to sell my 42" and go to Costco and buy the 47"? I've only had my 42" for a few months but the new XVT series has 120Hz, as opposed to 60Hz and supposedly even better picture quality and noise reduction. There's nothing wrong with my 42", but when it comes to tv's specifically, I always want the best out there. :o What do you guys think? Any suggestions or reviews on the XVT? Thanks!

pixelthis
09-24-2008, 10:04 PM
I was in the market for a new tv a few months ago and ended up buying the Vizio 42" HD 1080p. But Now, I saw that Vizio came out with a new series called XVT. They currently have 3 tv's in the XVT series. The biggest one is the VP505XVT 50” Full HD 1080p Plasma, then there is the SV420 and SV470 (both in 42” or 47” Full HD LCD). Would it be completely unreasonable to sell my 42" and go to Costco and buy the 47"? I've only had my 42" for a few months but the new XVT series has 120Hz, as opposed to 60Hz and supposedly even better picture quality and noise reduction. There's nothing wrong with my 42", but when it comes to tv's specifically, I always want the best out there. :o What do you guys think? Any suggestions or reviews on the XVT? Thanks!

First off congrats on the new set.
Vizio is (IMHO) a fine TV, I have run one for two years (l37) with no problems.
Some on this board might disagree with their business methods but teh truth is they create a quality product at a reasonable price.
AND forget about 120 hz, they are much more expensive and not worth it.
1080p is worth it, as I find out daily on my new 42" Vizio fhdtv.
Besides the tech hasnt been "road tested" yet, that is a lot of power for a display to put out.
The biggest thing about 1080p is Blu-ray, which finally has 24fps,
which matches movies frame rate.
They do this by showing three frames of each, which adds up to 72
(3x24) hence no 3:2 puldown to worry about.
1080p pics on blu are very good.
120 hz hasnt proven itself beyond the gimmick stage, if you were shopping for a new one and wanted to pay the extra and risk the increased chance of breakdown, sure, I would say go right ahead.
But having just bought a new set?
Not worth the trouble, I have seen these side by side with 60 models
and the diff, if any, is slight.
SAVE IT FOR THE NEXT UPGRADE:1:

RoadRunner6
09-25-2008, 01:55 AM
No offense intended, Vizio is a fine TV and a very good best buy. However, it is not the top level of quality or performance in either LCD or plasma (..."I always want the best out there"...). If you shop Costco, you are missing the boat. They have Panasonic which is the best of all the name brand plasmas with the possible exception of the much more expensive Pioneer. The 1080p Panasonic Plasma is currently $1599 at Costco. It will soon be down to $1299 or so. It, TH-C50FD18, is the same as the Panny top rated TH-50PZ80U. These models now have a 100,000 hours rating and have no burn-in problems if you follow some simple first 100 hours guidelines. Plasmas also have the lowest repair frequency of all flat panel displays according to CR, $2%.

Plasma has better color accuracy, better blacks, better off angle viewing and much more film like picture quality and zero motion blur. Don't judge by what you see in the store. The pumped up brightness of the LCD's is not necessary in normal medium to darker room viewing. Only if you have an extremely bright room would you prefer the LCD or if you like that video, edgy, sterile, computer monitor picture effect. The Panasonic is rated much higher than the Vizio models in picture quality and total score. Most of all you will love the 50" size and the beautifully smooth and natural clear picture of the plasma. Most people start out with a screen that is too small.

Costco offers their 2 year warranty and the important 90 day return policy, (if the price drops between now and Christmas get a refund for the difference).

Say good night, Gracie,
RR6 :smile5:

pixelthis
09-25-2008, 09:51 PM
No offense intended, Vizio is a fine TV and a very good best buy. However, it is not the top level of quality or performance in either LCD or plasma (..."I always want the best out there"...). If you shop Costco, you are missing the boat. They have Panasonic which is the best of all the name brand plasmas with the possible exception of the much more expensive Pioneer. The 1080p Panasonic Plasma is currently $1599 at Costco. It will soon be down to $1299 or so. It, TH-C50FD18, is the same as the Panny top rated TH-50PZ80U. These models now have a 100,000 hours rating and have no burn-in problems if you follow some simple first 100 hours guidelines. Plasmas also have the lowest repair frequency of all flat panel displays according to CR, $2%.

Plasma has better color accuracy, better blacks, better off angle viewing and much more film like picture quality and zero motion blur. Don't judge by what you see in the store. The pumped up brightness of the LCD's is not necessary in normal medium to darker room viewing. Only if you have an extremely bright room would you prefer the LCD or if you like that video, edgy, sterile, computer monitor picture effect. The Panasonic is rated much higher than the Vizio models in picture quality and total score. Most of all you will love the 50" size and the beautifully smooth and natural clear picture of the plasma. Most people start out with a screen that is too small.

Costco offers their 2 year warranty and the important 90 day return policy, (if the price drops between now and Christmas get a refund for the difference).

Say good night, Gracie,
RR6 :smile5:

Yeah, you talk about the "superiority" of plasma and then remind the one you're preaching to to be "carefull" of BURN IN!
Very convincing.
Sure there are better brands out there, but their improvement in PQ is
usually not worth the price.
As for that "edgy video effect" guess what ace? Weather plasma or LCD you're WATCHING VIDEO.
That "filmlike" effect you're talking about is the plasma screens inability
to show a very sharp image.
AS for the 100,000 HOUR lifespan of sets that is being bandied about,
this is rediculous, has a plasma lasted ten years yet?
C'mon, lets hear from some long term plasma owners!
We can't build an SET tube that will last a 100,000 hours, which is around 34 years!
Beleive it when I see it.:1:

RoadRunner6
09-25-2008, 10:22 PM
He says:

...."Yeah, you talk about the "superiority" of plasma and then remind the one you're preaching to to be "carefull" of BURN IN!".....

Yes, burn in can be a problem if the set is abused (as you probably were as a child or bad potty training)...where did I say "careful" (I said, "no burn-in problems if you follow some simple first 100 hours guidelines."...for a person with an IQ of 130, you sure have a problem with reading). CRT's are also subject to burn in. Did you not own a CRT. I have owned a plasma for 4 years now and have never had one instance of IR (image retention) or burn-in.

Find someone here who has owned either a 42" or larger LCD or Plasma for ten years. Your argument is redica-dica-dicalous (once again bad potty training).

Do you expect to own a TV for 34 Years? It is just an estimate, can you comprehend that? Vizio LCD's do not have plasma's outstanding repair record.

The plasma gives the clearest picture while maintaining natural edges. LCD looks like when you overcrank the sharpness control in PhotoShop.

The same site that rated the picture quality at 77 on the 42" Vizio 1080p gave a rating of 96 to the Panasonic 42" 768p plamsa.

One other thing I forgot to mention. The stretch mode on the Panasonic (called "just" by Panny) is the most natural looking of all the panel displays. Below is an example of the extremely unatural looking stretch mode from a Vizio display.

RR6 :D :D :D

Duds
09-29-2008, 11:36 AM
To the op, if you arent going to be watching blu-ray dvds, and sit 9 feet or farther from your tv, you do not need 1080p.

pixelthis
09-29-2008, 11:06 PM
He says:

...."Yeah, you talk about the "superiority" of plasma and then remind the one you're preaching to to be "carefull" of BURN IN!".....

Yes, burn in can be a problem if the set is abused (as you probably were as a child or bad potty training)...where did I say "careful" (I said, "no burn-in problems if you follow some simple first 100 hours guidelines."...for a person with an IQ of 130, you sure have a problem with reading). CRT's are also subject to burn in. Did you not own a CRT. I have owned a plasma for 4 years now and have never had one instance of IR (image retention) or burn-in.

Find someone here who has owned either a 42" or larger LCD or Plasma for ten years. Your argument is redica-dica-dicalous (once again bad potty training).

Do you expect to own a TV for 34 Years? It is just an estimate, can you comprehend that? Vizio LCD's do not have plasma's outstanding repair record.

The plasma gives the clearest picture while maintaining natural edges. LCD looks like when you overcrank the sharpness control in PhotoShop.

The same site that rated the picture quality at 77 on the 42" Vizio 1080p gave a rating of 96 to the Panasonic 42" 768p plamsa.

One other thing I forgot to mention. The stretch mode on the Panasonic (called "just" by Panny) is the most natural looking of all the panel displays. Below is an example of the extremely unatural looking stretch mode from a Vizio display.

RR6 :D :D :D

All that is proof of is that you're a "chubby chaser".
And the scaler on my Vizio has been praised by many.
I had a Panny and their "justified " (their word for it) mode is less than perfect, trust me.
A real example of my Vizios scaler.:1:

pixelthis
09-29-2008, 11:09 PM
To the op, if you arent going to be watching blu-ray dvds, and sit 9 feet or farther from your tv, you do not need 1080p.

WRONG (of course)
720P is dead:1:

Duds
09-30-2008, 05:35 AM
No, Dicksy, it isnt wrong. If the op is going to watch Hi-definition cable broadcasts, and will be sitting 9 feet or more from the tv, he will not see a difference between 720p and 1080p. Now if he will be watching a blu-ray dvd, then yes, there will be a difference.

WRONG (of course)
720P is dead:1:

RoadRunner6
09-30-2008, 05:53 AM
will be sitting 9 feet or more from the tv.....between 720p and 1080p. Now if he will be watching a blu-ray dvd, then yes, there will be a difference.

Not necessarily! At that distance even with Blu-Ray the difference might not be visable.

Duds
09-30-2008, 09:17 AM
true!! depends on size of tv, source, the ops eyesight.

Not necessarily! At that distance even with Blu-Ray the difference might not be visable.

RoadRunner6
09-30-2008, 09:30 AM
Pixelthis is plasmaphobic!

Plasmaphiles Unite !!!

RR6 :thumbsup:

pixelthis
09-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Pixelthis is plasmaphobic!

Plasmaphiles Unite !!!

RR6 :thumbsup:

In a class action lawsuit when you find out that ol pixie was right,
and the extent of just how screwed you are comes to light.
"phobia" implies fear, why should I fear someone else getting screwed over, as I will never be dumb enough to buy one of these contraptions.
WHAT A HERD mentality has taken over plasma owners:1:

tintern_footie
10-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Well, congrats to you too pixelthis. Do you have the XVT or the same one I have? I've heard a lot of people talk about 120Hz definitely being worth the extra bucks, but then again - some people have also said that you can't tell the difference in anything less than 47", so maybe you're right. The 1080p DOES make a huge difference, I definitely agree with you on that one.

I actually did purchase my Vizio at Costco. I feel that's always the best way to go. I did see some awesome Panasonic tv's, but they were a little more expensive than what I was initially intending to spend. Even with the price dropping to $1299, the 42" XVT at Costco is at $1099 I believe.

But yea, I think I'm going to stick to my 42" Vizio and "wait til the next upgrade". They'll always be coming out with 'bigger and better'. I actually heard that Vizio is coming out with a 55", but that's just hear-say. I do think I'd like to stick to Vizio though. So far, I'm really loving my tv and have also gotten lots of compliments. Thanks so much for the advice! Really helped!

kelsci
10-11-2008, 04:27 AM
I just read a report on the online magazine PLAYBACK which now incorporates THE PERFECT VISION. They had a report on the VP505XVT. They recommended this set

pixelthis
10-12-2008, 08:58 PM
Well, congrats to you too pixelthis. Do you have the XVT or the same one I have? I've heard a lot of people talk about 120Hz definitely being worth the extra bucks, but then again - some people have also said that you can't tell the difference in anything less than 47", so maybe you're right. The 1080p DOES make a huge difference, I definitely agree with you on that one.

I actually did purchase my Vizio at Costco. I feel that's always the best way to go. I did see some awesome Panasonic tv's, but they were a little more expensive than what I was initially intending to spend. Even with the price dropping to $1299, the 42" XVT at Costco is at $1099 I believe.

But yea, I think I'm going to stick to my 42" Vizio and "wait til the next upgrade". They'll always be coming out with 'bigger and better'. I actually heard that Vizio is coming out with a 55", but that's just hear-say. I do think I'd like to stick to Vizio though. So far, I'm really loving my tv and have also gotten lots of compliments. Thanks so much for the advice! Really helped!

I got a 42" FHDTV , one they made for Walfart I beleive.
Some think I PROPOSE THAT VIZIO is the "best" tv out there.
Thats not what I am saying.
What I am saying is that they have 95% of the best pic that is possible
at 30 to 40% less than the price.
I may be wrong about 120hz, I was wrong about 1080p, in the home it is a big improvement, if for no other reason that its easier to deinterlace 1080i than to deinterlace it and rescale it to 720p.
Anyway Vizio makes a true HT experience possible to those who might not be able to afford the little extra tweak that a Sony or Samsung might provide.
And in the bargain tier they can't be beat.
One thing tho, their new remotes are bad, which is disapointing considering they used to be known for their comprehensive ones.
IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THOSE "SIMPLE" remotes you might want to track down an older one, the one from my former set has a much better layout. AND ACESSES features not even advertised on my new Vizio that were on my older one.:1:

RoadRunner6
10-25-2008, 08:25 PM
The Manufacture of LCD HDTV's Causes Global Warming, Soon to be Banned!

A recent AP story states:

"......The manufacture of LCD screens involves a chemical whose gas is thousands of times better at trapping atmospheric heat than carbon dioxide. That gas, nitrogen triflouride, is on the rise......Nitrogen trifluoride has been considered such a small problem that it's generally been ignored. The gas is used as a cleaning agent during the manufacture of liquid crystal display television and computer monitors and for thin-film solar panels.
Earlier efforts to determine how much nitrogen trifluoride is in the air dramatically underestimated the amounts, said Ray Weiss, a geochemistry professor with Scripps Institution of Oceanography and lead author on a nitrogen trifluoride paper. It is set to be published in Geophysical Letters in November. Nitrogen trifluoride levels in the air — measured in parts per trillion — have quadrupled in the last decade and increased 30-fold since 1978, according to Weiss, who is also a co-author of the methane paper......Nitrogen trifluoride is one of the more potent gases, thousands of times stronger at trapping heat than carbon dioxide......"

RR6 (Touche)

kelsci
10-26-2008, 12:42 AM
Oh my god, the end of the world is near, Emperor MIng is at it again with his NITROGEN TRIFLOURIDE BEAM going after those darn clay people on mars and where is there a FALSH when you need him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pixelthis
10-26-2008, 08:36 PM
Oh my god, the end of the world is near, Emperor MIng is at it again with his NITROGEN TRIFLOURIDE BEAM going after those darn clay people on mars and where is there a FALSH when you need him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAH, I am really worried about that

pixelthis
10-26-2008, 08:39 PM
[QUOTE=RoadRunner6]The Manufacture of LCD HDTV's Causes Global Warming, Soon to be Banned!

A recent AP story states:

"......The manufacture of LCD screens involves a chemical whose gas is thousands of times better at trapping atmospheric heat than carbon dioxide. That gas, nitrogen triflouride, is on the rise......Nitrogen trifluoride has been considered such a small problem that it's generally been ignored. The gas is used as a cleaning agent during the manufacture of liquid crystal display television and computer monitors and for thin-film solar panels.
Earlier efforts to determine how much nitrogen trifluoride is in the air dramatically underestimated the amounts, said Ray Weiss, a geochemistry professor with Scripps Institution of Oceanography and lead author on a nitrogen trifluoride paper. It is set to be published in Geophysical Letters in November. Nitrogen trifluoride levels in the air — measured in parts per trillion — have quadrupled in the last decade and increased 30-fold since 1978, according to Weiss, who is also a co-author of the methane paper......Nitrogen trifluoride is one of the more potent gases, thousands of times stronger at trapping heat than carbon dioxide......"

RR6 (Touche)

AncientWalkman
10-27-2008, 06:58 PM
2012 is going to be the end of the so DO ITTT !!:14:

pixelthis
10-27-2008, 10:46 PM
[QUOTE=AncientWalkman]2012 is going to be the end of the so DO ITTT !!:14:

THIS is the "end of it":1: