Pioneer Spec 1 pre-amp / Spec 4 power amp (pic) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer Spec 1 pre-amp / Spec 4 power amp (pic)

Turbota
09-23-2008, 03:42 PM
I bought these 2 girls new back in 1978 while stationed in Korea and had been using them for all these years on up to just 2 years ago without any repairs.

Since I am now retired and have moved to the Philippines, I gave both of these Pioneer amps away to a friend of mine back in the US.

I guess this goes to show how those massive amps they used to make were pretty much bullet-poof. The Spec 4 power amp I believe weighed-in at about 70 Lbs alone.

Anyway, I now need to purchase a new system over here in the Philippines ... This time I am just going to buy an integrated amp. Not alot to choose from over here in the stores (the Philippines is still a very poor country) ... but I may buy a low to moderatly priced Onkyo A-9555 integrated amp. These are readily available and the Asian model here is rated at 100 w/channel, and will produce 160w/ch using 6 Ohm speakers.

Do you think these modern day amps sound as good, or better than the old stuff like what I used to own? .... I really miss these 2 girls! :sad: :sad:

Anyway, here is a photo of the Pioneer Spec 1 and Spec 4 amps that I had before we parted ways (I hope they will live for another 30 years):

Ron,

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/Turbo6ta/PioneerSpec14.jpg

blackraven
09-23-2008, 03:53 PM
Very nice stuff! I do think that much of todays equipment sounds as good and better than older equipment, especially speakers and CDP's.
I'm not including cheap mass market equipment though. I still have a Vintage 1976 Technics integrated that still purrs better than many receivers selling below $600. My first piece of audio equipment was a 1970's 15wpc Pioneer receiver and it was built well and sounded good.

The Asian version of the 9555 sounds like a very nice amp.