Basement in Final Phase [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Basement in Final Phase

Groundbeef
09-22-2008, 04:19 PM
After 6 years of convincing my wife I just needed 1 more weekend, we are moving into the final phase of basement finishing.

I've gotten it almost complete, carpet and new furniture are due on October 11th.

It's taken quite a while. 2475 square feet of area. I put in a bedroom, bathroom, home office, kids playroom, laundry room, storage area, and lastly the grand room. There are some partial pictures in my page. Since then I have gotten the remainder finished up.

Considering I hadn't swung a hammer with any need before the project it has been a real learning experience. Aside from the plumbing, and and major electrical (I ran speaker wire), I did the work. Framing, Drywalling, Finishing, Trim Work.

I'll post pictures as time permits.

bobsticks
09-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Congrats Beefy. You're prolly tha last person we'll ever know to successfully buy a house.

Groundbeef
09-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Congrats Beefy. You're prolly tha last person we'll ever know to successfully buy a house.

I built the house 6 years ago. I am just now completing the basement. We had a full basement put in, but I did all the work on weekends, spare time etc.

ForeverAutumn
09-22-2008, 06:13 PM
After 6 years of convincing my wife I just needed 1 more weekend, we are moving into the final phase of basement finishing.

I've gotten it almost complete, carpet and new furniture are due on October 11th.

It's taken quite a while. 2475 square feet of area. I put in a bedroom, bathroom, home office, kids playroom, laundry room, storage area, and lastly the grand room. There are some partial pictures in my page. Since then I have gotten the remainder finished up.

Considering I hadn't swung a hammer with any need before the project it has been a real learning experience. Aside from the plumbing, and and major electrical (I ran speaker wire), I did the work. Framing, Drywalling, Finishing, Trim Work.

I'll post pictures as time permits.

Wow, congratulations! Your basement is bigger than my whole house! I can't wait to see some pics. What a great sense of accomplishment you must be feeling.

Mr Peabody
09-22-2008, 06:52 PM
GB good to see you surface again. Are you saying you started this project with no experience? I was wishing I had the nerve to attempt something like that, then again, I think I know better. I don't think mine would turn out so hot. I'd be like a one man comedy.

Groundbeef
09-23-2008, 02:53 AM
GB good to see you surface again. Are you saying you started this project with no experience? I was wishing I had the nerve to attempt something like that, then again, I think I know better. I don't think mine would turn out so hot. I'd be like a one man comedy.

Essentially yes. I had 1 week in High School where I donated a week of my time to Habitat for Humanity. Other than that I hadn't had much hands-on construction experience.

I learned as I went. Because of the timing there was A LOT of construction going on when I began. So, if I had questions about framing, I just walked into homes that were under construction. I just looked until I found a solution to the problem.

My father in Law was also very helpful in construction. Particularly in getting the bathroom framed up. He helped me plan for the plumbing, etc. The only downside to his help, is that it is THE ONLY WAY to build. So after I got going, I didn't really need him to tell me what he felt could have been done. I have no doubt that if we sell, and the new owners tear out walls, they will wonder what I was thinking on some of the earliest work.

Like any job, after doing it, I got pretty good with it. Drywall finishing was the most challenging, and hard to stay on task. My wife wanted smooth ceilings (me too) and that makes you have to work 10X harder. Everything needs to be super smooth.

In fact, in the great room, I had a contractor come in and hang the sheetrock, and finish that area. He and a helper framed, taped, and mudded 1500' in 3 weeks. It would have taken me a year. I had done the bedroom, bathroom, and office.

The main driving force for doing the work was cost. If I had it done, it would have run over $25,000-35,000. I would have to add it all up, but I spent somewhere around $13,000. Plus, my sister still works for Sherwin Williams. I was able to pick up our carpet for $4,000. Had I bought it through a carpet store it would have easily run $9,000. (side note, YES, Sherwin Williams sells carpet. FYI, SW is the nations largest supplier of carpet in the US. 90% of their business is commercial, ie apartment complexes, and offices. But if you know someone who works at a SW flooring store, you can get it MUCH cheaper than a regular carpet store. Carpet stores work on a margin around 75-80%. How do you think they make pad and labor "free"?)

The downside to the job was the commitment to time. At times the scope of the job was so great, it was almost depressing. Plus, I was going to school at the time, so money was a constant problem. If we build again, my wife has already told me, it will be done by the builder. Not because of my abilities, but because of the time involved.

kexodusc
09-23-2008, 03:29 AM
The downside to the job was the commitment to time. At times the scope of the job was so great, it was almost depressing. Plus, I was going to school at the time, so money was a constant problem. If we build again, my wife has already told me, it will be done by the builder. Not because of my abilities, but because of the time involved.

Hey Beefy,
Congrats on the hard work. I know where your coming from, I had to completely refinish my last house. As soon as that was done I vowed never again to take all that on.
You're a bit lucky in some regards. Building new rooms is 10 times easier than refinishing and altering existing ones. And you get it just the way you want.

Hope it's everything you hoped it would be.

Rich-n-Texas
09-23-2008, 05:02 AM
Good for you beef. You must have a really good feeling of accomplishment. Like Mr. P, I don't think I'd ever take on a job like that (Ummm... I don't have a basement).

GMichael
09-23-2008, 05:20 AM
Congrats Beef,

I know how much work that can be. We are still working on our basement a little at a time. Only 2 years in so far.
When is the party?

I look forward to the pics.

Groundbeef
10-06-2008, 07:30 AM
Alright, here are some pictures. I can't get the file size down small enough, so I am hosting them on photobucket.

My wife is pretty giddy. Carpet comes on Saturday, and the furniture is coming the Saturday after that.

Guinia Pigs are for FA, she asked to see them ages ago, and I hadn't gotten to it.

BTW, I covered the TV to protect from dust, so thats what is on the wall.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/groundbeef2008/PA060003.jpg (The Ladies)

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/groundbeef2008/PA060006.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/groundbeef2008/PA060007.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/groundbeef2008/PA060008.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/groundbeef2008/PA060009.jpg (Bedroom)

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/groundbeef2008/PA060010.jpg (Office)

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/groundbeef2008/PA060011.jpg (BackView facing stairwell)

basite
10-06-2008, 08:07 AM
DUDE!!!

you need bigger speakers :D

congrats, very nice basement...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

ForeverAutumn
10-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the piggie picture. They're very cute. It looks like they have a nice big home to roam around in. Are they young in that picture? They look to be about half the size of my pigs.

The basement looks great! I love all the potlights and the colour choices for the walls. Nicely done. You'll have to post more pics once it's all finished with carpet and furniture.

Groundbeef
10-06-2008, 09:36 AM
No, the brown/white pig is 4 years old. The Black one is 1 years old. The cage is 3'x3'. They love to run around in it.

I will post more pictures as the carpet is installed.

L.J.
10-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Lookin' good GB!