Terminator Special Edition (Similar problem as Jurassic Park DTS) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Terminator Special Edition (Similar problem as Jurassic Park DTS)

Torech Ungol
03-11-2004, 12:44 PM
I own Terminator Special Edition on DVD. The DD soundtrack doesn't seem right. I actually prefer to watch it in mono (what it was originally recorded in). Does anyone else own this DVD experience this problem? Thanks

Lexmark3200
03-11-2004, 04:05 PM
I own Terminator Special Edition on DVD. The DD soundtrack doesn't seem right. I actually prefer to watch it in mono (what it was originally recorded in). Does anyone else own this DVD experience this problem? Thanks

Ungo,

As the poster of the Jurassic Park DTS problem, I can tell you that I have no experience with the original Terminator Special Edition BUT I DO have experience with the Terminator 3 DVD---and let me tell you something.....the only thing I can say is WOW....sounds coming from EVERY direction and I will go as far to say that it is the BEST standard 5.1 Dolby Digital mix I have ever heard----not DTS, mind you, but the best DOLBY DIGITAL mix....its really that good. Blows some DTS mixes away, in fact.

Woochifer
03-12-2004, 11:57 AM

That's because the 5.1 EX mix done for that DVD had to mix sound elements from 1984 with stuff that was newly recorded in 2002. Very hard to do that without it sounding inconsistent because the original film was very low budget. There's only so much you can do if the original sound elements were not in great shape to begin with. Just be happy that MGM released that DVD with a choice of soundtracks.

Torech Ungol
03-12-2004, 12:05 PM
Thanks again Woochifer