Blue Man Group blew my mind. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Blue Man Group blew my mind.

Mr Peabody
09-21-2008, 06:22 PM
I was lounging back in the sofa surfing the channels and landed on HD Net where I was immediately mezmerized by seeing these blue guys playing awesome rythyms on these tubes that looked like PVC pipe. They were also doing sort of a comedy routine with them, taking them apart, putting them back together in a new configuration to make new sounds. Then they had this video screen come on and a guy claiming to be a relative of Ron Pullpeel (Pocket Fisherman guy), the commercial was for the Megastar Rock Show kit version 2.0. Then one of the blue dudes made a skit out of ordering one. He selecting "super fast delivery". When it showed up the show became about doing the steps suggested. All through this the band is playing great percussion and interjected a couple songs. I can just write and write about all they done from throwing things to the audience to pulling a couple on stage to put a T-shirt on them and squirting what I think was paint balls on them. These guys are the next evolution in concert entertainment. They did killer covers of Pink Floyd's, Run and The Who's, Baba O'Reilly. On the Who song the synthesizer part was done by the rythym played on the tubes, it was very cool. This is one band who you might want to seek the DVD instead of CD.

I've heard their name before but nothing of their music or what they do. I was blown away, I can't remember any other concert video getting me so into it.

jvc
09-21-2008, 06:50 PM
They have a couple of dvds out.
Blue Man Group - The Complex Rock Tour Live
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Man-Group-Complex-Rock/dp/B0000DBJ9P/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1222051675&sr=1-3
and How to Be a Megastar Live! (DVD with CD)
http://www.amazon.com/How-Be-Megastar-Live-DVD/dp/B0013D8LP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1222051675&sr=1-1
I've heard they are a regular show in Las Vegas.

Mr Peabody
09-21-2008, 06:58 PM
How to be a megastar live is the show I saw. It was really good.

ForeverAutumn
09-22-2008, 06:47 AM
They have permanent shows in many cities. Las Vegas is one of them. They also tour. We saw them a couple of years ago and it was one of the most fun shows that I've ever seen.

I would never think of them for music. But there are a few people here who have mentioned owning their CDs.

Troy
09-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Yeah, I own the 2 CDs and have seen the Complex DVD and the Megastar show on HDnet.

The Complex CD is more song oriented and Audio is more of a showcase of the instrument technology they developed. Both are an absolute must for percussion fans.

The 2 live recordings are pretty similar, but the newer one has better picture quality. The singer is much better on the first live disc. Her cover of "I Feel Love" (yeah, Donna Summer) is breathtaking.

I've wanted to see the Las Vegas show on a few visits to that horrible town, but the ticket prices were ridiculous, hundreds per head.