receiver help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : receiver help

antsai
09-20-2008, 09:23 PM
hi there,
I recently got a good deal on a pair of Jamo 775 speakers and I was wondering if someone can help me find a good receiver to drive them? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

anthony

elapsed
09-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Hi antsai, welcome to AR! A few questions for you..

1. Are you building a 2-channel stereo system or a surround system?
2. What are the dimensions of your room?
3. What are your sources (e.g. DVD, Blu-Ray, PVR, CD Player, turntable, game consoles etc)
4. Is this system primarily for music, sports, movies, gaming?
5. What type of music do you listen to?
6. What is your budget?

cheers,
elapsed

antsai
09-21-2008, 02:01 PM
Good questions... right now I'm thinking of just doing a 2 speaker system. I haven't really thought about my budget but just trying to start a system that I can build on and looking for mid-level equipments. This will be mostly for movies and some music (all types, but very little classical). The room is about 12x12 ft. As for equipments I have, just have a JVC HR-XVC1U DVD player. The rest are yet to come ;) Yeap, I'm just starting to build my system now...

elapsed
09-21-2008, 02:13 PM
In that case I'd suggest getting an integrated amp instead of a stereo receiver, this way you build a really solid stereo system over time.. For a good quality mid-fi system I would start by auditionning Cambridge Audio, Rotel, NAD, Arcam, Cyrus, etc. You can also find some fantastic deals on s/h equipment on Audiogon if this is something you might consider.

But budget is still an important factor.. are you looking at $500, $1000, $2000, more?

If the system is primarily for music, you'll also want to consider upgrading your CD Player. The Marantz CD5001 is really popular on this forum, this would be a great start. I think there is also a new 5003, it's very reasonably priced as well.

cheers,
elapsed

antsai
09-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Thx, elapsed.

I'm thinking of $500 range. What would you suggest?

blackraven
09-21-2008, 06:27 PM
If you don't plan on doing HT then look at the Onkyo 9555 integrated, Yaamha AX-596, Cambridge Audio 640A V2 and 540A. These will probably be in the $500-600 range.
Also consider the Outlaw Audio RR2150 receiver for $600. Its a powerful receiver and will drive most speakers that you throw at it. It also has a bass management system.

pixelthis
09-21-2008, 10:07 PM
If you don't plan on doing HT then look at the Onkyo 9555 integrated, Yaamha AX-596, Cambridge Audio 640A V2 and 540A. These will probably be in the $500-600 range.
Also consider the Outlaw Audio RR2150 receiver for $600. Its a powerful receiver and will drive most speakers that you throw at it. It also has a bass management system.

NOT to mention an USB input.
And it really looks cool! :1:

RoadRunner6
09-22-2008, 01:05 AM
Well, he did say

"trying to start a system that I can build on and looking for mid-level"

So I'll take him at his word that he wants a "receiver" in the $500 range. He also said mostly music so I can't believe he won't want to a expand later to a 5.1 HT system.

http://hometheatermag.com/receivers/808onk/

http://electronics.pricegrabber.com/home-audio-receivers/m/67294715/zip_code=97213/qlty=n/st=sort/sort_type=bottomline

http://electronics.pricegrabber.com/home-audio-receivers/m/85477807/search=onkyo%20706/st=sort/sort_type=bottomline

I recommend when you do expand you buy a Jamo center speaker that matches your Jamo 775's. The same goes for the surrounds. Do not mix speaker brands for the best surround sound. You want to have a smooth voicing/timbre match from all the speakers for both movies and music.

RR6 :o

antsai
09-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the inputs, guys.

RR6, you read my mind. I am planning on buying a Jamo center speaker when I have more funds :)

I like all the choices. I think I'll probably go with an AV receiver b/c I like to be able to use it for the TV that I'm going to buy. I also appreciate the suggestions on receivers that looks beautiful as well as play beautiful sounds. What else would fit that?