Garage Sale find - Sort of...... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Garage Sale find - Sort of......

squeegy200
09-20-2008, 09:06 PM
To clean out my garage, I recently had a Craigslist/garage sale.
In it, I sold numerous pieces of old stereo gear I had lying around including several receivers, turntables, etc.

A gentleman came by and bought a Marantz Linear Tracking turntable I had for sale. He wasn't sure if his current system had a phono stage but had a lot of vinyl and knew he needed a turntable. The next day I received a call and he was now inquiring about one of the receivers I had displayed with a phono stage.

He was interested in trading for an amplifier which he had. He did not know what was wrong with it but said it did not work.

I executed the trade that very day and the amplifier he offered was a Carver TFM 45.

I took it home and hooked it up to my preamp only to discover it worked perfectly fine. I've been running it now for three months and have yet to find anything wrong with this amp. (Except for the light bulbs in the VU meters)
It sounds very nice with my vintage Dahlquists DQ10s.

Anyways, it turned out to be another garage sale find for me.

here is a picture
http://lh4.ggpht.com/les.noriel/SNXS-PXK3WI/AAAAAAAADGI/VuTKBd84cZQ/s720/2008_09200004.JPG

Feanor
09-21-2008, 03:14 AM
To clean out my garage, I recently had a Craigslist/garage sale.
In it, I sold numerous pieces of old stereo gear I had lying around including several receivers, turntables, etc.

A gentleman came by and bought a Marantz Linear Tracking turntable I had for sale. He wasn't sure if his current system had a phono stage but had a lot of vinyl and knew he needed a turntable. The next day I received a call and he was now inquiring about one of the receivers I had displayed with a phono stage.

He was interested in trading for an amplifier which he had. He did not know what was wrong with it but said it did not work.

I executed the trade that very day and the amplifier he offered was a Carver TFM 45.

I took it home and hooked it up to my preamp only to discover it worked perfectly fine. I've been running it now for three months and have yet to find anything wrong with this amp. (Except for the light bulbs in the VU meters)
It sounds very nice with my vintage Dahlquists DQ10s.

Anyways, it turned out to be another garage sale find for me.

here is a picture
http://lh4.ggpht.com/les.noriel/SNXS-PXK3WI/AAAAAAAADGI/VuTKBd84cZQ/s720/2008_09200004.JPG
Squeeg, the Carver TFM amps have a very good reputaion as I recall, so I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Is that your Apt Holman preamp I see above it? That sort of pains me: I owned an Apt Holman for many years but sold it a little over a year ago -- I dearly wish I had not. If you're thinking of selling, (not likely I guess), email me.