Platter Bearing maintenance [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Platter Bearing maintenance

squeegy200
09-19-2008, 04:34 PM
it's been sometime since the bearing on my turntable has been serviced. I have a SystemDek IIx which has a similar bearing setup as so many other manual turntables.

I've read a few different methods for cleaning, priming, and re-oiling platter bearings.

How do you service the bearings on your turntable? What oil do you use?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Les

basite
09-20-2008, 02:15 AM
I used contact cleaner to clean the bearing tube, and the platter shaft in my lenco.

Don't use thin oil, don't use too 'hard' oil neither, it has to be hard/fat enough to stay close to the important bearing parts (the tracking ball, and such...), thin oil will spread too much, causing too much friction...

hope this helped...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

JohnMichael
09-20-2008, 03:54 AM
Here is a link for bearing oil.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Turntable-Fluids

I have changed the fluids once in my Rega when I installed the new subplatter. For me the first step was to remove the original subplatter. Next I used a magnet to remove the bearing. Thin foam items resembling q-tips were inserted in the bearing well to clean out the old oil. I would not use q-tips as they may leave fibers behind. Next I added some oil and then dropped the bearing back in the well. Next I gently reinserted the subplatter and helped it settle back in place. I slid a paper towel under the subplatter to absorb any excess oil and that was it.

Good luck!

E-Stat
09-20-2008, 08:49 AM
How do you service the bearings on your turntable? What oil do you use?
I follow John Micheal's procedure, but use more readily available and cheaper Prolong synthetic oil with my '75 Ariston.

rw

squeegy200
09-20-2008, 10:35 AM
I follow John Micheal's procedure, but use more readily available and cheaper Prolong synthetic oil with my '75 Ariston.

rw

All good suggestions. Thank you.

E-Stat, your suggestion for using Prolong was also suggested to me from a fellow enthusiast from another forum. Interesting approach and not surprising considering it is a mechanical bearing with similar properties to other mechanical applications.

Another question then -- Since this is similar to other bearing applications, Has anyone ever tried replacing the stainless Steel bearing with a Ceramic Bearing? They are reported to be smoother, rounder, and more durable than the stainless steel equivalents when applied to other applications.

JohnMichael
09-20-2008, 02:27 PM

E-Stat, your suggestion for using Prolong was also suggested to me from a fellow enthusiast from another forum. Interesting approach and not surprising considering it is a mechanical bearing with similar properties to other mechanical applications.

Another question then -- Since this is similar to other bearing applications, Has anyone ever tried replacing the stainless Steel bearing with a Ceramic Bearing? They are reported to be smoother, rounder, and more durable than the stainless steel equivalents when applied to other applications.

The new subplatter came with a ruby bearing. I am sure a lab created ruby bearing. I do not think it would matter as long as it was the exact size as the old bearing when new.

hifitommy
09-21-2008, 12:57 PM
its readily available. i have never heard of the prolong oil but am sure its fine.

basite
09-21-2008, 01:10 PM

Ceramic is an option too, yes, but as JM said, Ruby is too...

Ruby is said to sound 'better' though, with the right thrust plate...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.