effsod [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : effsod

ForeverAutumn
09-19-2008, 06:47 AM
That's right, it's a new effsod thread, or Friday Song Of the Day for those who may not be familiar with this custom.

I suppose that I could have also posted this in the morning commute thread, but since it's Friday...well...an FOSD thread seemed appropriate.

My song today is Lesson Learned off of Ray Lamontagne's album Till the Sun Turns Black. This song just hammers home to me what a great songwriter this man is. The lyrics are simple yet poetic. The phrasing of the sentences is just beautiful. I especially love the last verse and the way that he interjects the thought "now looking back it seems surreal". The melody is simple but emotional. I repeated this song four times on the drive into work this morning. This is the kind of song that I listen to and think, "damn I wish that I could write like this!"

Well the truth it fell so heavy
Like a hammer through the room
That I could choose another over her
You always said I was an actor, baby
Guess in truth you thought me just amateur

That you never saw the signs
That you never lost your grip
Oh, come on now
That's such a childish claim
Now I wear the brand of traitor
Don't it seem a bit absurd
When it's clear I was so obviously framed
When it's clear I was so obviously framed

Now you act so surprised
To hear what you already know
And all you really had to do was ask
I'd have told you straight away
All those lies were truth
And all that was false was fact

Now you hold me close and hard
But I was like a statue at most
Refusing to acknowledge you'd been hurt
Now you're clawing at my throat
And you're crying all is lost
But your tears they felt so hot upon my shirt
But your tears they felt so hot upon my shirt

Well the truth it fell so heavy
Like a hammer through the room
That I could choose another over her
You always said I was an actor, baby
Guess in truth you thought me just amateur

Was it you who told me once
Now looking back it seems surreal
That all our mistakes are merely grist for the mill
So why is it now after I had my fill
Would you steal from me the sorrow that I've earned
Shall we call this a lesson learned?
Shall we call this a lesson learned?

Slosh
09-19-2008, 07:38 AM
Mine is Shame In You (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?c0qjqjczni0). Damn, I almost forgot how good this album is!

Dude, where's my car? :confused:

Davey
09-19-2008, 07:56 AM
Today, mine is the beautiful and sad "There Is No Such Place" from the also beautiful debut of Augie March, Sunset Studies. Lots of memorable repeatables on this one, they really did come on the scene fully formed.

There is no such place
If I lower mine to yours might you kiss me on the face?
If you're looking for an unmarked place,
There is no such place -
Blasted in appearance and a composite of fearful minutes
Frozen in the waking instant

Ex Lion Tamer
09-19-2008, 09:06 AM
Mine is "Everybody Knows Everybody" by Earlimart -I'm not even sure how I got this song on my itunes/ipod, but I think Slosh had something to do with it. Anyway it's a great straight ahead indie-rocker from a band I know nothing about. As much as I like this song though I really should do some investigating. Whoever it was that put this tune in my hands...thanks!

ForeverAutumn
09-19-2008, 09:13 AM
Today, mine is the beautiful and sad "There Is No Such Place" from the also beautiful debut of Augie March, Sunset Studies. Lots of memorable repeatables on this one, they really did come on the scene fully formed.

There is no such place
If I lower mine to yours might you kiss me on the face?
If you're looking for an unmarked place,
There is no such place -
Blasted in appearance and a composite of fearful minutes
Frozen in the waking instant

That is a beautiful tune. I have it on Moo You Bloody Choir (another killer rec from my RR buddies!). Is the version on Sunset Studies different?

Slosh
09-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Mine is "Everybody Knows Everybody" by Earlimart -I'm not even sure how I got this song on my itunes/ipod, but I think Slosh had something to do with it. Anyway it's a great straight ahead indie-rocker from a band I know nothing about. As much as I like this song though I really should do some investigating. Whoever it was that put this tune in my hands...thanks!Yeah, it was on my 2007 Pt. 1 YEC. Everybody Down Here and Treble & Tremble are really good. The last two not so much (still pretty decent though).

NP:

Davey
09-19-2008, 12:35 PM
That is a beautiful tune. I have it on Moo You Bloody Choir (another killer rec from my RR buddies!). Is the version on Sunset Studies different?

Similar, but it's a little simpler arrangement, and sounds more subtle without the syrupy strings, mostly just piano, some acoustic guitar and drum brushes. That's really all it needed. Check in red below ...

In late 2000 Augie March released their first full-length album, "Sunset Studies". The album stayed in the Australian National Albums (ARIA) chart for half the year. Listeners of national #1 youth radio station Triple J voted “Sunset Studies” into their Top 5 Albums of the Year. Again, the album is still finding new homes a couple of years after release; it crept its way through various musical communities of the world like a creeping vine. It ranked in Jack Rabid's influential U.S mag The Big Takeover's Top 40 Albums of 2001 – without being released there. Similarly, in Q Magazine's (UK) Readers Poll for the Best 50 Albums of The Last 15 Years; “Sunset Studies” got an honourable mention, without a UK release. It has found willing ears across Europe, in Japan, Canada and many other parts of the galaxy. Video clips were made for The Hole in Your Roof, Heartbeat and Sails and There Is No Such Place. There Is No Such Place featured the piano and backing vocal talents of the late great Awesome Bobby Dawson, a longtime friend of the band who joined in early 2000, and tragically departed from this world about a year later. He is not only very, very, very fondly remembered by friends and fans as an incredible man but he is present in Augie March and what they do.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.cs-ma-NAMO~936

3-LockBox
09-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Mine is a not-so-well-known Rush toon called Available Light from the Presto album. Maybe Geddy Lee's crowning glory as far as vocals go. I love this song.

But, as I type, I'd be remiss if I did not type that I'm chasing Wiser's Blended Whiskey with Bud Light Lime, and listening to Old 97s Blame It On Gravity...as well as a host of other 2008 delights (like Ray Davies, Notwist, Morning Benders, et el)

life's been good to me so far

really