Another "digital vs. analog" thread? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Another "digital vs. analog" thread?

emaidel
09-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Today I decided to listen to some records, which I don't do very often. I put on one of my longtime favorites, Claude Bolling's "Concerto for Classical Guitar and Jazz Piano" on RCA. I often used this record for demo way, way back when, and have always found it delightful to listen to. I still enjoy it to this day.

Shortly after the record began, I noticed how good it sounded. In fact, it had never sounded that good before! Why, I wondered? I haven't done anything to my turntable or cartridge in over a year; I'm still using the same phono preamp (Parasound PPH-100), and I've been using the Acrhomat platter mat for about a year too. Why does it sound so much better?

Then I remembered: this was the first time that I played a record since I installed the Hi-Fi Tuning fuses in my DQ-10's. They made a huge difference in improving the sound of my system while listening to my Marantz SA-8001, but I hadn't listened to any records, and this was my first experience doing so after installing those fuses.

I was mightily impressed with how good the record sounded, and started to wonder: am I turning into a vinyl junkie? After all, this record really sounded terrific! I've been an enthuisastic supporter of CD's and SACD's for years, and have I now, with the increased clarity and detail from my system, made an about face? So, I tried a comparison between a CD and an LP of a Kenny Loggins album, 'High Adventure."

I remember this CD sounding a good deal worse than the LP when I first bought it, and whenever I compared the two, the winner was always the record. On this go around, it was pretty much a tossup. While there was a bit more sparkle to the top end of the LP, there was a good deal more bass and midrange "air" on the CD. I also tried the same comparison between an old Alan Parsons recording, "Eve." On this occasion, the CD walked all over the LP in every area, most noticeably in noise as the LP has always had a lot of noise, and the CD has none at all.

So, while I'm not a vinyl convert, and still believe the CD and SACD mediums have the potential to be the best (though that's not always the case, unfortunately), everything sounds pretty good on a revealing system, and those little wonders, the Hi-Fi Tuning fuses continue to knock my socks off making the difference they do.

JohnMichael
09-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Thanks for mentioning Claude Bolling. I have the series of recordings he has done on CBS. I have not listened to them in a while and tonight I will be playing "Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano", "Suite for Chamber Orchestra and Jazz Piano Trio", "Toot Suite" and "Picnic Suite".

I have been on a vinyl kick lately. I like both vinyl and digital but sometimes one format will satisfy more than the others. Right now vinyl is bringing the message home.

I am glad the fuses are still impressing you. I was very pleased with the noticeable change with the Onkyo A-9555. What a little expense for the sonic improvements.

jrhymeammo
09-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Okay, I really gotta try these hi-fi fuses . Maybe first in my phono pre then to my integrated amp.

Do you know the difference in your room layout and dimension? This has to be one of the biggest reasons why you are hearing more details.
I dont consider myself a vinyl junky but do love what it offers. But I do prefer CD/SACD for certain music over LP.

JRA

JohnMichael
09-17-2008, 08:05 PM
For my room it is a long rectangle with a combined living room / dining area. I would have to say my speakers are in the center portion of the long wall forming a triangle with my listening position. Both speakers are at least 7 feet from a side wall and 1 and a half feet from the back wall. Carpet, upholstered furniture and art of the wall makes for a wonderful sound. Beautiful window treatments from Country Curtains. Archtectural Digest I am ready.

emaidel
09-18-2008, 04:28 AM
Do you know the difference in your room layout and dimension? This has to be one of the biggest reasons why you are hearing more details.

JRA

I assume this question was asked of me. I moved from Colorado to South Carolina, and now have my system in a very different, and much smaller, room. The improvements in the system's sound due to improved room acoustics are now "old hat," as I've lived here now for over a year. My "new" turntable (the Dual CS-5000) and the Achromat platter mat were acquisitions made after moving here. The details I'm hearing now are since last playing records in my current house, and prior to installilng the Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, and so I must attribute the new clarity and detail to them.

I bought the fuses from thecableco.com, and while I have no complaints about that organization, I'm somewhat startled at the emails I receive from them advertising replacement power cords with price tags in the thousands of dollars!

JohnMichael
09-18-2008, 05:27 AM
I assume this question was asked of me.

Yes it was but I was bored and wanted to talk about my room.

jrhymeammo
09-18-2008, 05:24 PM
So you'd moved away from Denver Metro ay? I hope to live in Denver again. Defintely one of the greatest place to live. I think I would prefer to live in Morrison/Lakewood or DT Denver again.

The review on the Positive Feedback sounds promising. I think it's about time I try this out for myself.

bobsticks
09-18-2008, 06:00 PM
Jay disappears for weeks at a time and comes back full of piss and vinegar...

JohnMichael
09-18-2008, 06:18 PM
Hey JM, stop talking about your damn room :)

Sorry everything is sounding so good I just had to talk about it. I did not know we had a new rule to stay on topic. Still shopping for a new phono pre-amp and if I put a Hi-Fi Tuning fuse then I will still be on topic? JRA how was your trip?

emaidel
09-19-2008, 04:36 AM
So you'd moved away from Denver Metro ay? I hope to live in Denver again. Defintely one of the greatest place to live.

My wife and I moved from Long Island (where I grew up) to Littleton, Coloroad in 1993. At first, simply because we missed our friends, we were homesick, but then, after traveling around some, we both thought we'd died and gone to heaven.

We lived in Littleton for 9 years, and then moved to southeast Aurora into an age-restricted community (filled with old farts like ourselves). Upon retirement, my wife decided she needed a warmer climate, and wanted to be near dear friends of hers for over 36 years who had moved to a little town called Moore, South Carolina. Add to that, all of our family is on the east coast.

So, I live in Moore, SC. Do I like it? Well, the jury's still out on that one. I can't stand the heat and humidity of the summer (though here in "the upstate" it isn't as bad as elsewhere), but have to say the long sping and fall is wonderful. Still, given the chance, I'd move back to Colorado in a heartbeat. The only problem with that is that my listening room here has far better acoustics than that in Colorado, though that wouldn't be enough of a reason to keep me here in the event my wife decided she didn't like it here (which she does).

hifitommy
09-20-2008, 10:50 AM
one can go to circuitcity.com and get many of the LPs being sold at the online majors (elusive, acoustic, and direct) for significant savings. free shipping for orders over $24 too.

add to that the fact that some costcos are selling vinyl (they are in burbank,ca) for likewise sig/savings. pet sounds for $13 ferinstance.

i never stopped using vinyl. cd sounded good, at least on my $140 (at target) magnavox player (brothers in arms etc) but i later found that the vinyl was noticeably better for the most part (brothers in arms again).

i procrastinated in buying certain LPs and then when i went to tower, vinyl had been largely supplanted by CDs! oooopsy, the planets by mehta and a few others were unobtainium. MUCH later i got them used and eventually in good cond.

now the rennaissance. i can still go to amoeba or record surplus and get good affordable vinyl, and new vinyl is becoming increasingly available.

i guess i should try the fuses, my adcom 555II uses two per channel so that should be audible if expensive. i will have to be much more careful with my speaker swaps. i will then actually turn off the amp for safety. if you accidentally touch the two leads, both fuses are toast in that channel, but not the transistors etc.

AMONDRA
09-20-2008, 06:01 PM
What can you tellme about yhe CD

02audionoob
09-21-2008, 08:46 PM
After reading this thread, the Claude Bolling vinyl is going to spin at my house, too.

pixelthis
09-21-2008, 10:22 PM
After reading this thread, the Claude Bolling vinyl is going to spin at my house, too.

I have the half speed master version of suite for flute and jazz piano,
bought it new. Its one of my most prized posessions.
When I say that CD will always beat analog I mean in accuracy,
sometimes a vinyl "hit" is preferred.
I think what surprizes people most is hearing a well maintained
album that is clean, this used to be the best format you could get, after all, the only way to get decent HI-FI.
And with a decent phono stage (or even an adequate one) the sound can be quite good.:1:

hermanv
09-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Hey JM, stop talking about your damn room :)
<snip> I did not know we had a new rule to stay on topic. <snip> Well, there goes the fun. I mean as much as love my hobby the topic itself is fundamentally geek-ish and boring. I am an EE, believe me I should know.

Ground control to major Tom; flame ON!

Mrgooch
11-13-2008, 02:33 PM
I have the Onkyo A-9555.Can you tell exactly which fuse is needed? Do you really feel that it is worth the cost to use it?

JohnMichael
11-14-2008, 03:27 PM
I have the Onkyo A-9555.Can you tell exactly which fuse is needed? Do you really feel that it is worth the cost to use it?

Mrgooch, Welcome to AudioReview. I am using the HiFi Tuning fuse that I purchased from Music Direct. The cost if memory serves was $30. I ordered the 6.3A, small size, slow blow fuse based on information in the Stereophile review of the A 9555. I heard a nice improvement in the highs and more clarity overall. Very nice tweak for not much money.

Mrgooch
11-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Can you tell me where on the dial [ 9:00 o'clock ] you find your listening most? I find I have to go to 10:00 o'clock to get enough punch.11:00 clock is very loud.

Gerall
11-14-2008, 05:34 PM
When it comes to "in the dark" quality listening, I live my vinyl. But cd is handier for mixed songs and when you have company and just want background music. I have about 2000 vinyl LPs from 60's - early 90s, and I also have many of the same cd's, as vinyl doesnt play worth a darn in my car. In MOST cases the vinyl outshines the cds, however many of the quality mastered cd's sound as good. For me its about the fullness of the vinyl. While the cd's are crystal clear, sometimes too much so, the vinyl has a more room filling sound.