Wovenhand - Ten Stones (some pretty amazing new music) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wovenhand - Ten Stones (some pretty amazing new music)

Davey
09-17-2008, 11:03 AM
Still soaking it all in after only a few listens, rocks harder overall than any of the Wovenhand (or Woven Hand) solo records in the past, some of it almost like when 16 Horsepower used to let it all loose. One of their most varied musical releases too. Moments when you can almost picture Nick Cave in his days with PJ Harvey, riding with the ghost of Joy Division. Sin, salvation, and the power of the Lord. Powerful stuff. Not really anyone else making rock music like this. Jason Molina, sometimes, but he doesn't really go for that same atmosphere, the grandeur David Eugene Edwards seems to achieve so often.

Then he slows it all down on the second side with the crooner cover of "Corcovado" from Getz/Gilberto, sandwiched between the bluesy "White Knuckle Grip" and the short but kickin' ass (native) Indian chant of "Kicking Bird" ... nice

Pretty nice flat and quiet vinyl from Sounds Familyre in NJ, just like the previous Mosaic. Maybe not for your average bear, but ... bears aren't really all that smart. This message has been approved by someone.

bobsticks
09-17-2008, 11:29 AM
If Ten Stones has the juice of Folklore or Consider The Birds then they'll have a winner. "Bleary Eyed Duty" and "Oil on Panel" take me to another place which very little modern stuff, including Molina, can accomplish. Folklore is on that same level, and I suppose i owe y'all boys a thanks for that.

On one of the heavier days you need to check out Fields of the Nephilim if you already haven't...brings that same strummy, Silas Marner-type Willard Grant-ish meets the lugubrious sedatives of pre-"Disintigration" Cure with a more gothy/punky ethos. I recommend Dawnrazor.

Slosh
09-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Yikes, I totally forgot about this. I already have an a<a>ssload of 16HP/Wovenhand but I'm sure I'll add this one to the collection as well at some point.

NP:

jonnyhambone
09-17-2008, 02:22 PM
this is good to hear...I listened to a streaming song but, of course, didn't get the sense of the album. I just tracked down a local shop that has a vinyl copy and plan on pickin' it up this week. Also am going to see them Oct. 23rd at my fave local spot for live music.

audiobill
09-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the nudge, Davey.

I'll have to give Wovenhand a try.

Cheers,

bill

3-LockBox
09-17-2008, 04:26 PM
I been gettin into the latest from My Morning Jacket, Evil Urges. I know they've lost some of you with this album, but I like it.

I heard the new one from Woven Hand in the rekkid store last week, but I already had my week's allowance spent. I thought it was very Cure-like myself.

I also heard a song off the new Filter. Don't know if anyone here were ever into these guys, but I thought they were one of the '90s underapreciated bands.

Mr MidFi
09-18-2008, 06:11 AM
I been gettin into the latest from My Morning Jacket, Evil Urges. I know they've lost some of you with this album, but I like it.

It's not quite as dreadful as I previously indicated. It does have its moments. That's all I'm going to say.

Davey
09-18-2008, 07:37 AM
I heard the new one from Woven Hand in the rekkid store last week, but I already had my week's allowance spent. I thought it was very Cure-like myself
Good rekkid store you visit. The Cure did cross paths with that Joy Division sound on occasion, especially on Disintegration, so I can see that. This new one does have a more atmospheric sound at times, but they never really get into the more conventional pop sound that many Cure songs are built around. Wasn't it you that made the Doors (or at least Morrison) connection on the last one? I'll have to open a new tab and do a search ... oh yea, here it is, and it's even in a rare return of the Snowbunny thread ... http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=19693&highlight=mosaic+morrison+doors-ish

3-LockBox
09-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Ahhh...Davey and his RRchives. I so love to go back and re-read that stuff...

anyhoo, yeah, prolly been as long ago I heard that Mosaic album. I lost touch with the co-worker who had similar tastes. But anytime yer talkin The Cure or Joy Division, you gotta mention Jim Morrison. Of course Bowie and Lou Reed could be influences as well (I'm sure).

But a song like Iron Feather conjures a mental image of The Cure for me.

Anyone here into Tindersticks?

Hell, that old thread had Snowbunny and Audio Girl in it...I miss them.:(

Auricauricle
09-19-2008, 05:21 AM
Why does Dead Can Dance come to mind?

Nice thing about this forum: It's difficult staying au courant, musically. Discussions here are a great way to stay abreast with what's fresh. Keep talkin' guys; I'll have my glass against the wall.....

Davey
09-19-2008, 07:21 AM
Why does Dead Can Dance come to mind?

Yea, there is some DCD sound in there, especially on the last one. In the thread above from the archives that 3Lock was chuckling about, there are some words to that effect from one of our more cogent members ...

Woven Hand - Mosaic (sinister, dark, passionate and spiritual, blending the southern gothic Americana sound of Nick Cave with the darkness of Joy Division and the medieval folk sound of Dead Can Dance, album of the year so far for me)

Davey
09-19-2008, 07:38 AM
Anyone here into Tindersticks?

Are you serious? You get 31 gems if you just search this forum for Tindersticks posts by Davey. Well, make that 32 now :)

Just to give it some added content, I have read some nice things about the new Hungry Saw, though I probably already have enough. That first and second record are still some of my favorites of the last 15 years (remember our Retro series comps? Tindersticks made my 1995 volume ... see below), but I seem to always be talking about bands with that sound, be it the recent thread on the Flaming Stars latest, or Wovenhand, or the National, or WGC, etc. There was also a popular comp around this place back in the day by one of the older members called Twilight that captured some of the best of that Southern gothic vibe.
http://members.mailaka.net/davey/1995.jpg

3-LockBox
09-19-2008, 05:55 PM
I meant to say the new one from Tindersticks, actually...I still have that comp, DBI.

I've heard a track or two at my fave rekkid store. One of the record stores in Bellingham, which changes names every two or three years, has also changed in content off and on. I hadn't gone in there in almost a year, but when I go in there a few months ago, I see a lot of the albums we talk about here, including Woven Hand, Tindersticks, etc. Now that the price of new CDs have gone up again on-line, I may as well look into these guys, since they will order stuff w/o shipping charges. One of my weekly errands takes me near there now, so I make it a point to visit. I love that vibe of a college town record store, where they play music loudly over the store system while you browse. These guys will play anything too...one minute they'll be playing some old Meat Puppets, then they put in a Coltrane CD, then they put in a Peggy Lee disc, then The Shins, and so on and so forth. And they have such a diverse collection, every kind of indy and indy-ish style of music, even some prog stuff (they were impressed with my knowledge of Porky Tree). They also deal in used CDs...I picked up a cheap, used copy of British Sea Power's Do You Like Rock Music just the other day.

tentoze
09-20-2008, 02:07 AM
Once reminded about this new release, it would have gone on my automatic buy list, but after reading some of the descriptive flora here, I'm wondering if Edwards hasn't drifted in a direction that might not please me all that much.

Davey
09-20-2008, 08:22 AM
Once reminded about this new release, it would have gone on my automatic buy list, but after reading some of the descriptive flora here, I'm wondering if Edwards hasn't drifted in a direction that might not please me all that much.

Ya old codger, we're not talking about fungi here, this is the music forum! Well, who knows what 3Lock might be talking about, and any thread that has a post by Bobsticks (or his alter ego Swish) is headed for the compost heap, but you can trust your ol buddy Dave, this is some good ****. But like with all good ****, half of the people can be part right all of the time, some of the people can be all right part of the time, but all the people can't be all right all the time....

bobsticks
09-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Well, that was a cheap shot...

Davey
09-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Well, that was a cheap shot...

Ya mean that part about comparing you and Swish? Yea, that was kinda low. Sorry.

bobsticks
09-20-2008, 06:38 PM
S'alright, just don't let that ish happen again y'heah.

Hey, whatta you think of "Hoarse"? I've been debating on pulling the trigger but that seems to be the one that never gets any chatter.

tentoze
09-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Ya old codger, we're not talking about fungi here, this is the music forum! Well, who knows what 3Lock might be talking about, and any thread that has a post by Bobsticks (or his alter ego Swish) is headed for the compost heap, but you can trust your ol buddy Dave, this is some good ****. But like with all good ****, half of the people can be part right all of the time, some of the people can be all right part of the time, but all the people can't be all right all the time....

Yeh, I'll probably take a deep breath, cross my fingers, knock wood, and order it so it will show up about the time I get home from Beijing.

Slosh
09-21-2008, 04:12 AM
Hey, whatta you think of "Hoarse"? I've been debating on pulling the trigger but that seems to be the one that never gets any chatter.I'll hook ya up with a preview. I like it.

...and here it is: Hoarse (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jcx2nomt4bm)

NP:

Davey
09-21-2008, 08:12 AM
I'll hook ya up with a preview. I like it.

...and here it is: Hoarse

Thanks, I haven't heard it myself, other than a couple of the songs I have on comps. Their cover of "Day of the Lords" is pretty nice. Not that much different in feel than JD, but just a little dirtier, not quite as arty. There's videos of much of this stuff too.

This is the room, the start of it all
Through childhood, through youth,
I remember it all

NP:

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drf500/f572/f57214o0dkv.jpg

Slosh
09-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Hey, this Ten Stones is a keeper. More alt than country. More electric. More rawk. Me likey.

NP: (again :) )

Auricauricle
09-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Gad, this is heavy stuff, 'Sticks. Thinking about buying some black candles and a skull....

bobsticks
09-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Gad, this is heavy stuff, 'Sticks. Thinking about buying some black candles and a skull....

Why buy? I'll just call Jeeves to raid the cellar...

DL'ing now and will report back, mein sloshing kommandant.

NP: Fujiya & Miyagi: "Lightbulbs"

Auricauricle
09-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Ask Jeeves if you would get that bottle of Absinthe while he's down there would you? There's a virgin sacrifice to be made...

Davey
09-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Yeh, I'll probably take a deep breath, cross my fingers, knock wood, and order it so it will show up about the time I get home from Beijing.

Did you like Mosaic? If I had to guess, based on what I know you do like, and some of the things I know you don't like, I'd say no, this probably isn't the one that will get you all excited. But like many others here, you often like music (and sometimes even passionately) that I wouldn't have expected. I like it because there are sounds on here that haven't been on a Wovenhand record before, and it still has a lot of the passion I like about them. I'd still put Blush Music and Mosaic above it as my top 2 Wovenhand records, so far. Both had a better flow, and more memorable music overall. But that's just me. This one does have me coming back over and over, like those two, so who knows. It does most definitely bring the rock.

bobsticks
09-24-2008, 10:58 AM
Having spent some quality time with "Hoarse" I like it but not nearly as much as "Folklore". Good live album...I wonder if'n it'll make Sishy's Best-Of List...but nonetheless it's missing that earthy mysticism that drew me in with 'Lore.

Curiously, my local has yet to stock "Ten Stones"...so I ordered it, but you know, waiting and all. But then again, it's not like I can't find something else to listen to.

3LB
10-08-2012, 03:52 PM
I've heard some samples of the latest Wovenhand, titled The Laughing Stalk, on the YT. Musta got an early release elsewhere. Much more tribal beat oriented, musically speaking, really conjures older Dead Can Dance and Cure, methinks its the hardest edged sound from them thus far (albeit I'm only familiar with Ten Stone and Threshing Floor... and while the lyrics always evoked christian themes in the past, this album is the most overt, yet aren't preachy. Assertive proclimations, trance inducing worship songs - I'd go to church to hear that kind of praise music. Not all the songs I've heard are like that (YT must have 6 or 7 off the new album) but the ones that I noticed like King O King, As Wool and Coup Stick are very up front with their meaning and rather uptempo and polyrhythmic, the latter being almost chant-like. Anyone else hear this yet?

Jim Clark
10-09-2012, 08:05 AM
I've heard some samples of the latest Wovenhand, titled The Laughing Stalk, on the YT. Musta got an early release elsewhere. Much more tribal beat oriented, musically speaking, really conjures older Dead Can Dance and Cure, methinks its the hardest edged sound from them thus far (albeit I'm only familiar with Ten Stone and Threshing Floor... and while the lyrics always evoked christian themes in the past, this album is the most overt, yet aren't preachy. Assertive proclimations, trance inducing worship songs - I'd go to church to hear that kind of praise music. Not all the songs I've heard are like that (YT must have 6 or 7 off the new album) but the ones that I noticed like King O King, As Wool and Coup Stick are very up front with their meaning and rather uptempo and polyrhythmic, the latter being almost chant-like. Anyone else hear this yet?

I will be on the lookout. Been a fan since Mosaic. Thanks for the heads up.