Life with the Harmony One [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Life with the Harmony One

Worf101
09-16-2008, 04:58 AM
I've been down this road with other "universal remotes" before and it always ended with an expensive paperweight my luddite ole lady couldn't operate. So Ian (Los Knuckleshead) and I constantly had to go downstairs or upstairs and change channels or inputs or god knows what else whenever sweetums wanted to go from live TV to a DVD or a CD or whatever.

With the purchase of a new 52-inch LCD, a new AV receiver and a new DVD I believed I was doomed (doomed I say) to a never ending stream of banal "honey can you...." requests from the living room. (Jeeze Louise, how can you expect me to stop the Axis hoardes from overrunning Europe if I have to help you all da time). Rich in Tejas, Forge, L.J, Elapsed and the infamous GroundBeef here convinced me to look into the logitech line of uniremotes and I'm glad they did.

Man, I can now actually go through an evening without interruption. My gam... er research is once again feasible during the evening. I found the Harmony One to be durable (Ian's dropped it several times already), easy as heck to program, and one touch "on" and "off" makes it "puddin' proof". Thanks again for the heads up folks.

Da Worfster

Rich-n-Texas
09-16-2008, 05:41 AM
WOW! A Harmony One. That's the expensive spread! Good choice and enjoy it well Mr. Worfster. :thumbsup:

L.J.
09-16-2008, 06:34 AM
I feel you on that. Being the only one in the house that can put on a DVD has it's disadvantages :incazzato:

BTW, my 880 is dropped a couple times per day. Most of the time by me. My 2 year old thought it would be a good idea to drop it in a cup of water.....I decided to let it dry out for a day and test it out before killin' him. Next day it was working fine....the kid got lucky.

Rich-n-Texas
09-16-2008, 06:49 AM
My boss wasn't so fortunate. His wife put his 5xx through the washer. He brought it in and asked me to solder a transistor back on; it worked again for a few days then died its final death. Looks like remotes don't like to be too clean, so you might want to keep it out of the washing machine AND the dishwasher okay?

I have the dropsies with my 880. They're just too slippery.

Worf101
09-16-2008, 09:05 AM
WOW! A Harmony One. That's the expensive spread! Good choice and enjoy it well Mr. Worfster. :thumbsup:
Oh Rich, won't you ever learn...

Ebay is a turrible drug brotha.... I never... EVER pay full retail for electronics. Never, ever, ever, ever... Bout $184 delivered. So far, worth every penny. Only problem is I can't get the date time display on it to stay "right".

Da Worfster

Rich-n-Texas
09-16-2008, 10:04 AM
I sold a three-piece slate pool table on Ebay... helped fund my Home Theater projects. :ihih:

pixelthis
09-16-2008, 10:10 PM
Thats an
"expensive spread"
Not compared to below.
Is Harmony one the one with the large touchpad?
If so then congrats, and congrats on the 52", you can't beat sheer real estate.:1:

L.J.
09-03-2009, 07:56 AM
Worf, everything still cool with the One?

My 880 is just about done, thinking about going with the One instead. Buttons starting to stick really bad on it. This seems to be a common problem with it too. Started happening after a year or so but it's really bad now.

Worf101
09-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Yeah, the H-1 is doing quite nicely. It has developed "doesn't quite fit flush in the charger" syndrome but I'm getting around that. I have to update my macro's now that I've a new Blu-Ray player. It's gonna be interesting to see if puddin still uses it. I'd still buy one.

Da Worfster

L.J.
09-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Yeah, the H-1 is doing quite nicely. It has developed "doesn't quite fit flush in the charger" syndrome but I'm getting around that. I have to update my macro's now that I've a new Blu-Ray player. It's gonna be interesting to see if puddin still uses it. I'd still buy one.

Da Worfster

Yup, I had that problem with my 880 from day one. Has to drop into the cradle just right. I'll see if I can grab a One for close to the 880 price. Been holding out for the 880 to go on sale but shipping/tax is still killing the price. Thx

Going to stick with harmony either way. Wifey loves it.

Worf101
09-04-2009, 04:51 AM
Yup, I had that problem with my 880 from day one. Has to drop into the cradle just right. I'll see if I can grab a One for close to the 880 price. Been holding out for the 880 to go on sale but shipping/tax is still killing the price. Thx

I got mine off ebay, did pretty good. Compare there before ya buy. Might just save some cabbage.

Da Worfster

Hyfi
09-04-2009, 08:48 AM

I had the charging problem with the 880 and after 3 replacements that were worse, I asked them to send me an H1 which works great. They redesigned the problem with the tiny charging pins and receptors.

AVMASTER
09-04-2009, 01:37 PM
FYI
Harmony One being phased out, replaced by Harmony 900; same thing but now with RF capabilities

dannydesiliva
09-05-2009, 03:15 AM
I see you already created a support incident to get this resolved with Support. Unfortunately, there was no contact information in the incident for us to reach you. Please reply to the email sent in the incident.

Thanks,
DaneHarmony

L.J.
09-08-2009, 05:28 AM
I ended up going with the One. Got a decent price of $125 which is less than what I would have paid for an 880 over at Amazon. This thing is nice!!!!!

Swish
09-28-2009, 12:30 PM
I ended up going with the One. Got a decent price of $125 which is less than what I would have paid for an 880 over at Amazon. This thing is nice!!!!!

I sent you a PM to ask that same question, but maybe you can share your secret? I mean, you lay it out there and then you don't tell us how or where. You're killin' me!

Care to share? :biggrin5:

Swishdaddy

GMichael
09-28-2009, 12:49 PM
FYI
Harmony One being phased out, replaced by Harmony 900; same thing but now with RF capabilities

But a little more expensive. Best I see is $260. Maybe LJ can find you one for a nickle though.:frown2:

RoyY51
10-05-2009, 01:42 PM
If anyone's still interested, CompUsa (online) is selling the One for 149.00