Week 5: 25 best live records of all time [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Week 5: 25 best live records of all time

Swish
09-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Well, I'm hoping this week's selection calms some people down a bit because this artist is far from obscure, although this goes back quite a few years I'm sure everyone has heard more than a few of his more popular hits.

Live At The Harlem Square Club, 1963--Sam Cooke: This is one of those live albums that really shows a different side of the artist. Whereas Cooke’s commercial recordings were smooth, polite, radio-friendly pop songs, on stage his gospel roots took over and he sang and shredded like a man wired out of his mind. This is his aural equivalent of a five o’clock shadow.

How about that Rave Rec'ers?

Swishdaddy - screw the effin Cowboys

MindGoneHaywire
09-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Did you wait until the game was over to post this?

Swish
09-16-2008, 03:51 AM
Did you wait until the game was over to post this?

We had those mothers for sure until that stupid misplay on the hand-off to Westbrook. Then McNabb made 2 bad decisions on the final drive, throwing an incomplete pass on the run when he should have kept it for an easy 10+ yard run, then not getting rid of the ball before getting sacked when he was way out of the pocket.

This is still the Eagles' year, and I'm glad we get them at home at the end of the season. That game will be quite different on home dirt.

Swish

bobsticks
09-16-2008, 06:38 PM
I really liked his version of "Bridge Over Troubled Water".

kexodusc
09-17-2008, 03:46 AM
Hmmm. Can't say I've heard this one, but I'm curious now...

Mr MidFi
09-17-2008, 05:51 AM
I'm intrigued as well. And I'm wondering how high James Brown at the Apollo will track on this chart, once it's all said and done.

BradH
09-17-2008, 01:24 PM
And I'm wondering how high James Brown at the Apollo will track on this chart, once it's all said and done.

My thoughts exactly. And I wonder if they'll pick Vol 1 or Vol 2 or just include the whole shebang.

I'd like to hear this Sam Cooke show. I'd also like to see P-Funk on this list since it's broadening its range.

bobsticks
09-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Okay, I got curious about this one too, and so, stopped at ye ol' record shoppe on the way home. It's 'bout midway through the first spin and I gotta tell you that this is a very good live album. I mean this is very good.

There's some description in the liners about the " ...eight mikes plugged into a three-track, twelve-position mixer in the little office..." and it shows. Not to confuse it with a lo-fi affair, it's just very simple and well done at that...very wide dispersion but without any goofy panning effects that make no sense on live recordings. You never have any trouble closing your eyes and seeing royal blue, fuschia, and hot yellow Par cans lighting off in sequence amidst plumes of smoke in a workingman's club. Light touch on the compression too; get ready to grab your attenuators.

The material, of course, is first rate but this is not the "spiritual" Sam Cooke but perhaps a bit more swanky and certainly gritty. Clearly, Sam's playing to the audience and they make their appreciation evident.

If anybody remembers the Sterling Harrison album that made the rounds a few months ago, this is like a dirtier, bigger cojones version. Actually, this takes Sterling out back behind the woodshed, turns it's hand sideways and *****slaps 'em.

At this point I think it's important to emphasize that this is no way, shape, or form supportive of Swish or his taste in music. It's simply a tentative validation of the list as a whole and a strong recommendation of this album in particular.

Swish
09-17-2008, 03:00 PM
At this point I think it's important to emphasize that this is no way, shape, or form supportive of Swish or his taste in music. It's simply a tentative validation of the list as a whole and a strong recommendation of this album in particular.

This isn't my list. But you already knew that, didn't you?

Swishdaddy

ForeverAutumn
09-18-2008, 05:14 AM
Bobbysocks!

LMAO!!!