Choral recs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Choral recs

Mr Peabody
09-14-2008, 05:55 PM
I hope I spelled that right. Anyway, I find I am liking some of the choral music, I like the soundtrack to The Chorus and have a bit of chorus accompaniment on a Tchaikowski piece. I heard something I like on the radio, I think was Brahms. I'm not much into Opera or solo's yet. Anyone know of any stand out or famous chorus titles to get ones feet wet with?

Chorus is very nice on a good system, one that allows you to distinguish separte voices and throws up a big wall of sound like it would be live.

bobsticks
09-14-2008, 06:09 PM
Off the top of my head, without digging through the stacks, and in no particular order: John Rutter: Requiem, Robert Shaw/Atlanta Symphony Appear & Inspire, J.S. Bach Cantatas, and of course, Arvo Part's Berliner Messe.

The Rutter is a "modern" work and may not appeal to traditionalists but it'll definetely give you taht "wall of sound". The Arvo Part is sort of an arch-typical classic and probably a good starting point.

kexodusc
09-15-2008, 03:50 AM
I think if I was going to have a top 10, all of stick's recommendations would make it. For sure Orff's Carmina Burana and Handel's Messiah. Oh and something by Haydn - The Creation or Lord Nelson Mass

I'll have to think about the others...

Auricauricle
09-15-2008, 05:41 AM
...Beethoven: Missa Solemnis...

bobsticks
09-15-2008, 05:42 PM
I think if I was going to have a top 10, all of stick's recommendations would make it. For sure Orff's Carmina Burana and Handel's Messiah. Oh and something by Haydn - The Creation or Lord Nelson Mass

I'll have to think about the others...

This be righteous. It's true.

Mr Peabody
09-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Off to a good start, thanks