And My New Tv Is.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : And My New Tv Is....

pixelthis
09-13-2008, 08:43 PM
Well, what else are you gonna do with a windfall?
42" of LCD 1080p 24fps three HDMI FUN FUN FUN.
And 1080p does look beter, at least to me.
Mr P, you're missing out, and at only 898 its a bargain.
bESIDES, this chick was on the box.:1:
http://www.vizio.com/productDetails.aspx?id=1684&pid=1504

pixelthis
09-13-2008, 08:47 PM
BESIDES without prattling on about "grey" blacks and getting everything else wrong, whats Sir talky gonna do?:1:

Rich-n-Texas
09-13-2008, 08:50 PM
I recently saw TV commercials about a Vizio model with 120 Hz refresh rate. Is that this one?

elapsed
09-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Congrats on the new set Pixie, here is a review with some settings to optimize your new set: http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtvreviews/vizio-vw42lf-review.shtml

cheers,
elapsed

Mr Peabody
09-14-2008, 06:37 AM
Pix your raise from SSA was enough to buy a new TV, retirement must be good :) A gain in size and rez, good deal. You should have gotten a DLP though.

RoadRunner6
09-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Sniff, sniff, sniff. Oh, this is so, so sad!

Just think, for a measly $100 more he could have bought the Panasonic 42" plasma (1080p), and for $100 less the Panny 42" plasma (768p) at Costco. Oh, I almost forgot ... plasma is dead!

Vizio 42" LCD (1080p)

PICTURE QUALITY RATINGS: 77/100
OVERALL RATING: 79.25/100

Panny 42" plasma (768p) ... (the 1080p will undoubtedly also score in the 90's)

PICTURE QUALITY RATING: 96
OVERALL RATING: 93.5

Sorry, I've got to head for the bunker now! (I hear incoming)

RR6 :D :D :D

pixelthis
09-15-2008, 12:29 AM
I recently saw TV commercials about a Vizio model with 120 Hz refresh rate. Is that this one?
NAH, have you seen what they are charging for those?
Not worth it, really.
What I really wanted was 24 fps, to finally get rid of 3:2 pulldown,
and this set has that.
It also has "dynamic contrast" but that disables backlight control,
which you need, I mean this sucker is BRIGHT.:1:

pixelthis
09-15-2008, 12:41 AM
Sniff, sniff, sniff. Oh, this is so, so sad!

Just think, for a measly $100 more he could have bought the Panasonic 42" plasma (1080p), and for $100 less the Panny 42" plasma (768p) at Costco. Oh, I almost forgot ... plasma is dead!

Vizio 42" LCD (1080p)

PICTURE QUALITY RATINGS: 77/100
OVERALL RATING: 79.25/100

Panny 42" plasma (768p) ... (the 1080p will undoubtedly also score in the 90's)

PICTURE QUALITY RATING: 96
OVERALL RATING: 93.5

Sorry, I've got to head for the bunker now! (I hear incoming)

RR6 :D :D :D

All of you plasma fanboys need to be worried, plasma is selling for less now.
And I could have had a bigger plasma, but Plasma is dead
after all, as for DLP I actually went to circuit city to check out the
999$ 50" samsung, but it was gone.
About the best deal was the Vizio 720p 42" plasma, 800 bucks!
EVER THOUGHT YOU'D SEE THAT?
A plasma 42" for 800 bucks??!!:1:

pixelthis
09-15-2008, 12:55 AM
Congrats on the new set Pixie, here is a review with some settings to optimize your new set: http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtvreviews/vizio-vw42lf-review.shtml

cheers,
elapsed

I agree with some of what they are saying, some is just wrong.
The scaling is amazing, one of the reasons I bought it.
"Washed" out color? Depends on your point of view, most prefer
color a little oversaturated, this set has expremly accurate color,
might look a little "washed out" to some but I HAVE TO WORK
on most sets to get the color this good.
Color temp is perfect also, like they said.
But you do have color settings for each input, they are wrong on that.
AND the "green" tint? Don't see it, my guess is that when they turned
up the color they upset the balance a bit.
AND MOTION LAG? Again I haven't seen any noticable "lag".
Watched crank last night on blu, a very fast film, no lag there.
One other thing about 1080p, you think 720/1080i has detail, you can see every pimple on mrs Cruises face on Batman begins.
Again its amazing that you can get this much TV for the price.
Sony had their 40" for 1200$ but I just didn't see the value.
One of the major reasons I bought this one, the laundry list matches.
By this I mean that they seem to have built this set according to the "laundry list " most HT fans have.
Good color temp.
Good color, period.
Great scaling, and great geometrics, hardly any distortion.
And finally (glory halleujia) contrast set to FIFTY instead of a hundred
out of the box, first Time I have ever seen that.
At least it seems that somebody is paying attention.:1:

pixelthis
09-15-2008, 12:59 AM
Pix your raise from SSA was enough to buy a new TV, retirement must be good :) A gain in size and rez, good deal. You should have gotten a DLP though.
Don't put me out to pasture yet P, THIS WAS VACATION PAY.
Not over the hill yet, close enough that I can see people dying in agony
on the other side, but not quite over it yet.
And DLP? When you go 1080p trade out of yours, or at least get one powered by LCD.:1:

pixelthis
09-15-2008, 01:04 AM
ANYWAY thanks for the input guys.
I'll try those setings.:1:

Worf101
09-15-2008, 04:33 AM
First of all, congrats on your purchase. I hope the set is EVERYTHING you want it to be. Second, I've heard a LOT about Visio and since you're an informed and intelligent person I trust you to wring out of it what they promised you. Thirdly, thanks for giving us your impression, so we can educate our friends.

Lastly, enjoy your new T.V.

Da Worfster

GMichael
09-15-2008, 05:00 AM
Congrats on the new toy Pix.
Yeah, I agree that 1080p is better. Much less blur during movement.
Nothing wrong with LCD either. Hope you know I've just been busting on you.

What's next on the upgrade road?

BadAssJazz
09-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Congratz on the new Vizio. I've been hearing lots of good things about that set. And the price was right. Everything else be damned, I say.

As for someone noting that plasma is dead, if it means that I'll be able to get a 55" Panasonic plasma for dirt cheap prices, then I'll be the first one to sound the death knell!!! It will take me some time to get used to LCD. (About as long as it will take my plasma to hit the skids. 5 - 6 years, give or take?)

:-)

pixelthis
09-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Congrats on the new toy Pix.
Yeah, I agree that 1080p is better. Much less blur during movement.
Nothing wrong with LCD either. Hope you know I've just been busting on you.

What's next on the upgrade road?

A receiver, probably.
But I would like some new CM-5 beemers, although that would be hard to justify with my 602's going strong, but I think that if you want English
made B&w you had better hurry.
HOWEVER IT will probably be a receiver, or preamp I can plug into my Integra(I mean this thing sounds good)
When I BOUGHT IT 1200 was a price for a lot of receiver.
BUT THE "PLAIN JANE" tracks on Blu sound so good I am in no hurry.
And I can take a joke, which is why I put up with you, after all I can be a bit of a smartass.:1:

pixelthis
09-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Congratz on the new Vizio. I've been hearing lots of good things about that set. And the price was right. Everything else be damned, I say.

As for someone noting that plasma is dead, if it means that I'll be able to get a 55" Panasonic plasma for dirt cheap prices, then I'll be the first one to sound the death knell!!! It will take me some time to get used to LCD. (About as long as it will take my plasma to hit the skids. 5 - 6 years, give or take?)

:-)

My brother bought a Plasma, a 42" SAMSUNG.
Plasma looks good, but LCD has advanced to the point that you don't
need the compromise and technical trickery of Plasma.
I have always strived for simplicity, and I have one display,
at one time I took my samsung computer monitor and hooked it up to my cable box until I could get a new set, but that option is closed to me now, and knowing my luck I would get a PLASMA that had gas that was just waiting to catch a train outta the envelope.
A LCD is simple, you can set a lamp behind it and get a picture,
practically no chance of it becoming a high tech, high price paperweight.
SURE PICTURE Q is important, but the best part of PQ is having a
picture.
Like a lot who have put up with vaccume tubes, waiting forever for a solid state TV, I am not ready to go back to the past with a plasma,
something that might last 10 years when a LCD lasts twenty.
people dont know just how hard it was to make a CRT, even after decades of experience, I look at that thin glass envelope and my backhairs stand up.
You want one fine, but its like one of those Rube Goldberg machines
that take a hundred componets to turn on a light switch:1:

pixelthis
09-15-2008, 10:37 PM
First of all, congrats on your purchase. I hope the set is EVERYTHING you want it to be. Second, I've heard a LOT about Visio and since you're an informed and intelligent person I trust you to wring out of it what they promised you. Thirdly, thanks for giving us your impression, so we can educate our friends.

Lastly, enjoy your new T.V.

Da Worfster

THANKS, that means a lot coming from a Klingon, I mean, you guys hardly ever open up.
I am "imformed", most of it from the school of hard knocks, I learned
a lot of what I know the hard way.
You gotta understand, I prize PQ, but also care about price, engineering, and overall quality.
My Vizio is cheap, sure, but I think a good compromise between even cheaper sets and higher price ones that are basically selling a name.
Most of the components and parts for these sets come from the same place, basically, and I think Vizios execution of the tech, while bordering on strange sometimes, is about as good as most.
Also keep in mind that my remote still has buttons that work with this set,
making up for the shortcomings of this sets remote, which is the worst remote I have ever seen, and that covers a lot of territory.
But overall a pleasant experience, just if you buy one of these get a
real remote loaner to program yours at the house.
This is surprizing considering the great one on my older Vizio.
Macros are still easy to program, however, thanks to seperate input buttons, but the guy who put the aspect ratio control in the MENU
should be shot, literally, good thing I already had one on my universal that works.
ANYWAY THANKS, AND LIVE LONG AND PROSPER:1:

Duds
09-16-2008, 05:05 AM
I guess if you can live with motion blur found on LCD's, then good for you!!

My brother bought a Plasma, a 42" SAMSUNG.
Plasma looks good, but LCD has advanced to the point that you don't
need the compromise and technical trickery of Plasma.
I have always strived for simplicity, and I have one display,
at one time I took my samsung computer monitor and hooked it up to my cable box until I could get a new set, but that option is closed to me now, and knowing my luck I would get a PLASMA that had gas that was just waiting to catch a train outta the envelope.
A LCD is simple, you can set a lamp behind it and get a picture,
practically no chance of it becoming a high tech, high price paperweight.
SURE PICTURE Q is important, but the best part of PQ is having a
picture.
Like a lot who have put up with vaccume tubes, waiting forever for a solid state TV, I am not ready to go back to the past with a plasma,
something that might last 10 years when a LCD lasts twenty.
people dont know just how hard it was to make a CRT, even after decades of experience, I look at that thin glass envelope and my backhairs stand up.
You want one fine, but its like one of those Rube Goldberg machines
that take a hundred componets to turn on a light switch:1:

pixelthis
09-16-2008, 10:21 PM
Kinda like living with bigfoot, you never see it.
I have actively looked for this "motion blur" and outside of a few isolated instances have never seen any, and the few momentary
instances werent distracting at all.
With a 5 ms response on this set its largely a thing of the past.
You pays your money and you takes your choices, mine is a few minor
problems still to be ironed out.
After decades of production CRT still had problems, some major.
You want a plasma in a thin glass envelope , whose production of radiation , especially UV hasnt been tested, and which , if the gas leaks,
(and it does more than they would like to admit) would turn it into an expensive paperweight, then go right ahead.
Before you defend a plasma, take a look at a eight year old one,
if you can find one that still works.:1:

pixelthis
09-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Guess the truce is over.
Let me call in my guy...:1:

Duds
09-17-2008, 05:10 AM
hmm, lets see, you say you have never seen this motion blur, but then you say you have seen it. make up your mind idiot.

show me some articles about plasmas leaking glass, i'd love to see them.

If plasma is dead, then why is your favorite company making them?

i'd be willing to bet i could find a lot of 8 year old lcds that have sh*t the bed too. weak argument

Kinda like living with bigfoot, you never see it.
I have actively looked for this "motion blur" and outside of a few isolated instances have never seen any, and the few momentary
instances werent distracting at all.
With a 5 ms response on this set its largely a thing of the past.
You pays your money and you takes your choices, mine is a few minor
problems still to be ironed out.
After decades of production CRT still had problems, some major.
You want a plasma in a thin glass envelope , whose production of radiation , especially UV hasnt been tested, and which , if the gas leaks,
(and it does more than they would like to admit) would turn it into an expensive paperweight, then go right ahead.
Before you defend a plasma, take a look at a eight year old one,
if you can find one that still works.:1:

elapsed
09-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Actually for once I may have to agree with pixie on this one.. I've seen many, many plasma's with outrageous burn-in in airport lounges and restaurants. You don't see this as often today as they have mostly all been replaced with LCD's.

There are only three plasma panel manufacturers remaining in the world; Matsu****a (Panasonic), Samsung, and LGE. Both Pioneer and Fujitsu-Hitachi are exiting the plasma market. The Vizio plasma's are sourced from Samsung or LGE, Vizio does not produce plasma panels themselves.

Although picture quality is outstanding on plasma, and burn-in is no longer an issue, the plasma market is very quickly dying altogether. Though I'd still purchase a 720p Panasonic over a 1080p Sharp, Samsung or Vizio in a heartbeat if they are in the same price category.

cheers,
elapsed

pixelthis
09-19-2008, 11:55 AM
hmm, lets see, you say you have never seen this motion blur, but then you say you have seen it. make up your mind idiot.

show me some articles about plasmas leaking glass, i'd love to see them.

If plasma is dead, then why is your favorite company making them?

i'd be willing to bet i could find a lot of 8 year old lcds that have sh*t the bed too. weak argument

I am an "idiot"? Well, let me rephrase, I thought I MIGHT have seen a bit of "bluring on an occasion or several, but it was so slight I cant really be sure. Hows that genius?
The problems with cable and sat broadcast far outweigh it for sure.
As for plasma problems a poster on this board had a 2700 dollar
"problem" with his plasma, a plasma where I work died, the gas left,
and I read an article a few months back about a Sanyo that died in a similar fashion.
Mostly it was a problem several months back, and they have claimed to adress the problem, but I dont want to be a guinea pig.
But mostly I hate complicated solutions to problems.
Plasma was first on the scene, and was the answer to the most persistent question in electronics, mainly, "when are we gonna get those sharp hang on the wall TV sets like you see in sci fi movies?".
And it served a purpose.
But now all they are is a glass envelope that requires thousands of volts
to work, filled with gas that, if it leaks will kill the set.
If it falls on the floor you have glass all over the place, same if the local child hits it with a baseball.
LCD got cheaper faster than anyone ever could imagine, is it perfect?
HELL no! But it does a very good job to be such a young form factor,
it uses less energy, is safer overall, and more reliable and longer lasting, it will be a good bridge to OLED, which is around the corner.
Even the great unwashed, not well known for their electronics
knowledge, are figuring out what you eveidently havent, that there just is no reason for plasma, and you call me an idiot.
If plasma has a better pic its a slight difference and not worth the trouble of putting up with one, and that is my rant for the day:1:

pixelthis
09-19-2008, 12:01 PM
Actually for once I may have to agree with pixie on this one.. I've seen many, many plasma's with outrageous burn-in in airport lounges and restaurants. You don't see this as often today as they have mostly all been replaced with LCD's.

There are only three plasma panel manufacturers remaining in the world; Matsu****a (Panasonic), Samsung, and LGE. Both Pioneer and Fujitsu-Hitachi are exiting the plasma market. The Vizio plasma's are sourced from Samsung or LGE, Vizio does not produce plasma panels themselves.

Although picture quality is outstanding on plasma, and burn-in is no longer an issue, the plasma market is very quickly dying altogether. Though I'd still purchase a 720p Panasonic over a 1080p Sharp, Samsung or Vizio in a heartbeat if they are in the same price category.

cheers,
elapsed

Thanks elapsed.
BURN IN was my major concern, since I use my HT display for a computer monitor.
As much as I enjoy the banter from you guys I dont want it on the screen while I try to watch the latest jess alba movie.:1:

Duds
09-19-2008, 12:27 PM
WOW!! now there's some convincing evidence!!!

OH well Pixie, if you are happy with your Vizio and can live with the fact that it doesnt hold a candle to plasmas from Pioneer, Panasonic, Samsung, etc, then so be it!!

have fun watching!

I am an "idiot"? Well, let me rephrase, I thought I MIGHT have seen a bit of "bluring on an occasion or several, but it was so slight I cant really be sure. Hows that genius?
The problems with cable and sat broadcast far outweigh it for sure.
As for plasma problems a poster on this board had a 2700 dollar
"problem" with his plasma, a plasma where I work died, the gas left,
and I read an article a few months back about a Sanyo that died in a similar fashion.
Mostly it was a problem several months back, and they have claimed to adress the problem, but I dont want to be a guinea pig.
But mostly I hate complicated solutions to problems.
Plasma was first on the scene, and was the answer to the most persistent question in electronics, mainly, "when are we gonna get those sharp hang on the wall TV sets like you see in sci fi movies?".
And it served a purpose.
But now all they are is a glass envelope that requires thousands of volts
to work, filled with gas that, if it leaks will kill the set.
If it falls on the floor you have glass all over the place, same if the local child hits it with a baseball.
LCD got cheaper faster than anyone ever could imagine, is it perfect?
HELL no! But it does a very good job to be such a young form factor,
it uses less energy, is safer overall, and more reliable and longer lasting, it will be a good bridge to OLED, which is around the corner.
Even the great unwashed, not well known for their electronics
knowledge, are figuring out what you eveidently havent, that there just is no reason for plasma, and you call me an idiot.
If plasma has a better pic its a slight difference and not worth the trouble of putting up with one, and that is my rant for the day:1:

BadAssJazz
09-19-2008, 01:58 PM
Wow, how did this degrade into a plasma vs. LCD frackfest? Let's just call it a win-win. As long as everyone is happy with their purchase(s).

pixelthis
09-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Wow, how did this degrade into a plasma vs. LCD frackfest? Let's just call it a win-win. As long as everyone is happy with their purchase(s).

You're absolutely right, of course.
But please remember that a lot of newbies look to sites such as this for
info, if we advocate certain form factors (plasma, lcd) then its incumbent that we explain our choices...
And whats a few friendly digs...
the only plasma that works:1:

pixelthis
09-21-2008, 09:57 PM

YES I CAN!!!
And when plasma buyers are sitting in front of a dead screen right after the warranty expires, and are forced to do desperate things
for entertainment (like talk to their wives) I wont even rub it in.:1:
(speaking of "motion blur)

Rich-n-Texas
09-22-2008, 04:51 AM
You're absolutely right, of course.
But please remember that a lot of newbies look to sites such as this for
info, if we advocate certain form factors (plasma, lcd) then its incumbent that we explain our choices...
And whats a few friendly digs...
the only plasma that works:1:
Oh this is just freakin hilarious! Are you running for AR.com president? You have every form factor dead except your Vizio LCD. You've been explaining your reasons for what, a year now? NEWSFLASH: Plasma's AND DLP's are still selling!!!

GMichael
09-22-2008, 05:01 AM
TV is dead!
Long live AM radio.

bobsticks
09-22-2008, 04:51 PM
YES I CAN!!!
And when plasma buyers are sitting in front of a dead screen right after the warranty expires, and are forced to do desperate things
for entertainment (like talk to their wives) I wont even rub it in.:1:
(speaking of "motion blur)

Recognize that you may be the only one here that is concerned with the lifespan of a television to the degree that would necessitate taking a mortgage out on it.

pixelthis
09-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Oh this is just freakin hilarious! Are you running for AR.com president? You have every form factor dead except your Vizio LCD. You've been explaining your reasons for what, a year now? NEWSFLASH: Plasma's AND DLP's are still selling!!!

I have been looking for a report I came across on consumer reports,
says that DLP sets have a much higher repair rate, if I ever find it I will
post the link.
what I have been saying is based on one important fact.
You can hand build audio gear, but in the case of video you are pretty much limited by what the mass market chooses.
Except for sir talkys frankenstein project maybe.
In the start you had three types of auto, steam, electric and gas.
Eventually gas won out and the other two died.
TODAY its plasma, LCD, and (dying faster than a fruitfly in sept) DLP.
Heck, I EVEN tried to help you out, suggested one to a friend at work
as a good cheap way to get a large screen, but he wants (like the rest of the world) one that hangs on the wall.
And he's seen burn in on plasma, doesnt matter if the problem is "fixed"
that is not the perception.
LCD is going to be the tech for years, until OLED gets cheap
(if it ever does).
SONY quit with the lcos based RPTV'S, DOESNT that tell you something?
LCD is IT, sorry but that is just the way it is, and we need to be developing that tech, not wasting time on a format that is going
nowhere
In a few years the only place you will be able to buy either a plasma or a DLP is at a garage sale or the want ads, really.
TWO YEARS ago my 37" cost a grand, and was considered "cheap".
A few weeks ago my 42", with 1080p, 3 hdmi, and a lot more features,
was 900$, and economies of scale arent even fully kicked in yet.
I know thats not what you want to hear, but trust me, the people
at TI where you work already know all of this, nothing new to them.
DLP was for the govt, its just like them to pay a ton to develope a
display system that only does greyscale, but TI did a good job of
adapting it to consumer use anyway.
But buddy, it aint FLAT, as a matter of fact despite best efforts,
its still quite bulky, and that isnt important?
It is for one major reason, the WAF (wife acceptance factor).
Women just aint into this hobby like men, and the only reason a lot get a big screen is by convincing the wife that they need one of those new, "cool" flatscreens.
Thats the only reason a lot of men have a large set, looks arent even important to women, fashion is.
Remember doc martins? Army boots? Women wore those ugly things for years.
I remember you posted quite a few times about a major prob with your DLP, where to put the center speaker.
A non issue for a wall hanging set, yeah all of this might seem trivial
compared to all important PQ, but that isnt that much of an issue anymore, what with sets getting better and better.
At Circuit city they had several DLP sets, with nobody looking at them, Couldnt find any anywhere else except at a TV shop that sells
MITSHUBISHI, and thats IT.
And several salesmen told me that LCD was selling better than plasma,
especially when people found out it was more energy efficent, weighed
less, had fewer tech issues, etc, and side by side in a store there really isnt much difference in picture, really, not enough that concerns most.
I love my set, the red-green-blue color temp, and various other things
make for a really great picture.
LCD is the future, and thats it, and that is not what I am saying, its what everybody is voting for in the one true democracy, the market.
Plasma is the only real competitor, and if you want to watch video by shooting 30,000 volts through volatile gas encased in a delicate glass envelope, go right ahead, the only argument for plasma is "pq"
but the only affordable ones are 720p, WHEN MOST lcd IS GOING 1080P.
Admit it, you have watched a buddys new "plasma" for awhile only to
find out later that it is a LCD and "plasma" his generic phrase for a flat screen, you just cant eyeball two sets side by side and tell much difference anymore, I have fooled people several times, its called the placebo effect.
I am not "championing " a certain anything, I just wish electronic companies would quit wasting money on tech that will be in the attic
in a few years:1:

pixelthis
09-22-2008, 11:02 PM
TV is dead!
Long live AM radio.

Your cerebal cortex is dead, long live your autonomous functions.
Really AM radio?
Better watch out, this guy lives there.:1:

pixelthis
09-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Recognize that you may be the only one here that is concerned with the lifespan of a television to the degree that would necessitate taking a mortgage out on it.

Where do you live that you have to take out a "mortgage" on a 900$
TV?
I bought it with a vac pay check.
AND I tend to change sets every two years or so, but with advances
slowing that may change, my current set may stay current longer than that.
MY MAIN concern for set lifespan is that a longer lasting set is less
prone to break down, and I often hand down or sell sets to people I know or am related to.
Maybe you're young or something, but trust me, having a TV break is
no fun, thats why I dont buy Toshiba, the only set to ever break on me.
And it seems that an array of solid state TFT devices is going to last longer than a plasma gas encased in an envelope powered by 30,000
volts.
If the backlight on your LCD goes out (not likely) you could take the back off and hang it in a window and watch it by daylight, or sit a lamp behind it, its very simple tech really.
When the gas goes outta your plasma, or the high voltage step-up
transformer goes south, and never comes back, then what?
I prefer to keep my devices as simple as possible, is all.:1:

RoadRunner6
09-22-2008, 11:16 PM
http://www.vizio.com/productDetails.aspx?id=1404&pid=1506

beep, beep :biggrin5: :biggrin5:

pixelthis
09-22-2008, 11:23 PM
http://www.vizio.com/productDetails.aspx?id=1404&pid=1506

beep, beep :ciappa: :ciappa:

10" smaller, less res, and you save a couple of bucks.
I started out with a set better than this one.
This set is a marketing response, really:1:

RoadRunner6
09-22-2008, 11:31 PM
He completely ignores the fact that it is a VIZIO !!!

pixelthis
09-22-2008, 11:38 PM

And what is wrong with that?
Besides, I am also ignoring your lack of intelligence, so consider yourself lucky:1:

RoadRunner6
09-23-2008, 12:00 AM
Can you spell Mensa? (such filthy photos, shame on you!)

GMichael
09-23-2008, 05:13 AM
And so, it continues.

Rich-n-Texas
09-23-2008, 05:14 AM
Which one's Worf?

Duds
09-23-2008, 07:39 AM
If LCD is so much cheaper than plasma, how come i can get a 42 inch panasonic plasma that is highly regarded for less than a 37 inch sony lcd?? if you dont believe me, check out best buy. And dont give me the garbage response that the sony is a better tv.

post the link.
You can hand build audio gear, but in the case of video you are pretty much limited by what the mass market chooses.
as a good cheap way to get a large screen, but he wants (like the rest of the world) one that hangs on the wall.
(if it ever does).
LCD is IT, sorry but that is just the way it is, and we need to be developing that tech, not wasting time on a format that is going
nowhere
In a few years the only place you will be able to buy either a plasma or a DLP is at a garage sale or the want ads, really.
Women just aint into this hobby like men, and the only reason a lot get a big screen is by convincing the wife that they need one of those new, "cool" flatscreens.
Thats the only reason a lot of men have a large set, looks arent even important to women, fashion is.
I remember you posted quite a few times about a major prob with your DLP, where to put the center speaker.
compared to all important PQ, but that isnt that much of an issue anymore, what with sets getting better and better.
At Circuit city they had several DLP sets, with nobody looking at them, Couldnt find any anywhere else except at a TV shop that sells
less, had fewer tech issues, etc, and side by side in a store there really isnt much difference in picture, really, not enough that concerns most.
LCD is the future, and thats it, and that is not what I am saying, its what everybody is voting for in the one true democracy, the market.
Plasma is the only real competitor, and if you want to watch video by shooting 30,000 volts through volatile gas encased in a delicate glass envelope, go right ahead, the only argument for plasma is "pq"
find out later that it is a LCD and "plasma" his generic phrase for a flat screen, you just cant eyeball two sets side by side and tell much difference anymore, I have fooled people several times, its called the placebo effect.
I am not "championing " a certain anything, I just wish electronic companies would quit wasting money on tech that will be in the attic

Duds
09-23-2008, 07:43 AM
WOW, HOLY SMOKES!!! some salemen told you that lcd was selling better, damn Pixie, that must mean its a better tv!!! I am changing sides now, long live LCD!!! Some salesmen told me this!!!

post the link.
(if it ever does).
nowhere

GMichael
09-23-2008, 07:47 AM
If LCD is so much cheaper than plasma, how come i can get a 42 inch panasonic plasma that is highly regarded for less than a 37 inch sony lcd?? if you dont believe me, check out best buy. And dont give me the garbage response that the sony is a better tv.

Here's the thing. It doesn't matter what you say to Pix, no matter how logical it is.
If you point out that Plasma costs more (at some sizes this is true), he'll say that's a good reason to believe that LCD is better. If you point out that LCD costs more (at some other sizes this is true), then he'll say that's a good reason to believe that LCD is better.
It's a wasted argument IMO.

Duds
09-23-2008, 07:55 AM
Yeah i know, it's still fun though.

Here's the thing. It doesn't matter what you say to Pix, no matter how logical it is.
If you point out that Plasma costs more (at some sizes this is true), he'll say that's a good reason to believe that LCD is better. If you point out that LCD costs more (at some other sizes this is true), then he'll say that's a good reason to believe that LCD is better.
It's a wasted argument IMO.

GMichael
09-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Yeah i know, it's still fun though.

True. And at least he's posting something. It breaks up the deadness around here.

Rich-n-Texas
09-23-2008, 09:29 AM
So he's kinda like the undead? Or the anti-dead? Something like that?

GMichael
09-23-2008, 09:57 AM
So he's kinda like the undead? Or the anti-dead? Something like that?

Something like that.:skep:

Rich-n-Texas
09-23-2008, 01:56 PM
I had a feeling was schizoid. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Mr Peabody
09-23-2008, 05:20 PM
Pix, out of the 3 auto technologies, looking back, did the public make the right decision? Water, nearly free, just think of wear electric cars would be today..... and gas $4.00 a gallon give or take, hmmmmmm

Knock on wood, my Toshiba has been trouble free and the only TV to actually go out on me was a Sony, about the time the factory warranty ran out. I had a Sharp go mostly bad back in the 80's when flat screen 27's were becoming popular. I wish it had of gone all the way out but what it did the picture became twice as dark with no way to fix it. Anyway, all of this is to say don't trash a brand based on one experience. And you can't blame Toshiba for wanting to keep their cash cow "DVD" going. There were actually some very good reasons to support HD-DVD too. So there.

Rich-n-Texas
09-23-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm not comfortable with the direction this thread has taken.

Mr Peabody
09-23-2008, 07:48 PM

> What has you squirming dude?

pixelthis
09-23-2008, 11:24 PM
Pix, out of the 3 auto technologies, looking back, did the public make the right decision? Water, nearly free, just think of wear electric cars would be today..... and gas $4.00 a gallon give or take, hmmmmmm

Knock on wood, my Toshiba has been trouble free and the only TV to actually go out on me was a Sony, about the time the factory warranty ran out. I had a Sharp go mostly bad back in the 80's when flat screen 27's were becoming popular. I wish it had of gone all the way out but what it did the picture became twice as dark with no way to fix it. Anyway, all of this is to say don't trash a brand based on one experience. And you can't blame Toshiba for wanting to keep their cash cow "DVD" going. There were actually some very good reasons to support HD-DVD too. So there.

The car analogy was just that, an analogy.
Just trying to demostrate that LCD is the format being chosen.
in five years OLED will be taking over, or the NWO, so it will be a moot point after awhile.
As for Toshbia, sure you dont diss a brand based on one point.
Had a 32", color looked like a cartoon after six months, bad tube or something.
Brother bought one (the next years model in a sleek new cabinet),
it lasted a few years until the picture failed, price to fix on this 800 dollar TV, 350 bucks.
Finally found a jackleg that fixed it for 150$, lasted another six months.
FIRST DVD player with componet, tosh.
Severe color banding and wouldnt pass DTS, later found out (too late)
that there was a class action lawsuit from disgruntled owners that I missed out on.
At a friends shop (where I bought my B&W speakers) I tried out an Onkyo dvd changer, the menu was familar.
YEP! A Tosh menu!
Tosh was the oem for these, my buddy told me not to buy one,
said they came back to him more than a duncan yoyo.
Not just one instance MR P, so there.
And this doesnt even cover the relentless b**t**ing on various forums,
websites, and newsgroups complaining about this brand.
I would prefer Sanyo over this brand, and if you knew what I think about Sanyo you would know this is saying something.
I wouldnt own a Toshbia paperclip, and that is not from one instance.
ONE DECADE would be more like it(two, actually):1:

pixelthis
09-23-2008, 11:39 PM

I am not ignoring the fact, just waiting a bit until I cool down so I dont destroy your obviously young soul with my scathing response.
First, what the FRICK does it matter that Vizio makes plasma?
Do you think this is some kind of vote for plasma?
That they "choose" LCD and this is some kind of betrayal?
This isnt a high school football game chum, Vizio is a major company
and their marketing dept went out one day and stocked up on psychotropic drugs, and figured out through some insane logic that a
32" plasma would make money.
Hopefully they were taken out in a boat on the south China sea ,
soaked in pigs blood and tossed over the side.
I mean, a THIRTY TWO INCH PLASMA!
How stupid can you get?
A LCD IS available for 150 bucks less, has less tech issues, is more troublefree, why would anyone buy one of these?
Havent figured it out yet.
But hey, Panasonic is one of the best in quality tv sets, and they are making quite an investment in Plasma, so go figure.
My guess is that there are a lot of plasma screens still in the pipe,
production plans don't turn on a dime, and somebody made a bunch of these and Vizio saw a way to make a quick buck.
thats my guess anyway.
If you think there is anything of significance in this then you need
to move to Texas , buy a clapped out firebird(what a chick magnet)
and get a job with texas instruments.
Might not be possible tho, they might be cutting back, what with DLP
sales imploding and all:1:

pixelthis
09-23-2008, 11:41 PM
And so, it continues.

MOM! DAD! :1:

Mr Peabody
09-24-2008, 04:52 PM
Well my experience with Toshiba has been quite different. I won a Toshiba DVD player way back when DVD was first getting started and that unit is still working fine and has out lasted a Sony unit bought after that. I haven't had a great deal of Tosh but what I've had has done good. "insert rasberry sound effect"!

When did Vizio become a "major" company? Actually, do they build these things or just one of these companies that stamp their name on a TV to distribute it? Do they even offer any other products besides TV's? Inquiring minds want to know.

pixelthis
09-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Well my experience with Toshiba has been quite different. I won a Toshiba DVD player way back when DVD was first getting started and that unit is still working fine and has out lasted a Sony unit bought after that. I haven't had a great deal of Tosh but what I've had has done good. "insert rasberry sound effect"!

When did Vizio become a "major" company? Actually, do they build these things or just one of these companies that stamp their name on a TV to distribute it? Do they even offer any other products besides TV's? Inquiring minds want to know.

They are branching out with cables, etc.
STUFF THEY STAMP THEIR NAME ON.
I looked in AVS forums to check out Proscan TV's, almost bought one.
Its got an LG panel and is RCA'S "high line", and looks good.
But you cant turn off its dynamic contrast, which is really anoying
(you can on mine) and all of the people who took theirs back got a ...
wait for it... VIZIO and report that they are quite happy with it, more stuff for fifty bucks more.
However they produce their sets I dont care, the picture is great.
While looking at one a guy who I'Ded himself as the cable guy
said they were the "real" thing.
My brother bought a 42" hitachi plasma, but a month later bought
his daughter a 32" Vizio.
My parents love their 37" VIZIO THAT I gave them.
On a cart full of "repaired" and "returned" bargains at Sams,
there were two Vizio's and several Sony's!
I almost bought a "returned" 47" for 850$, the pic was great.
Am I A vizio "BOOSTER"? No.
But after two troublefree years things are looking good.
And this set isnt a "black box", it has piano black finish with a logo that is blue when the set is on, orange when its not, slimline with tiny speakers at the bottom it really looks cool. Even when OFF.
Perfect? NAW.
but for nine hundred plus tax you wont be able to find a better 1080p
24fps panel with great response time (5 ms) great black level,
and exelent contrast, with controls geared towards the enthusiast,
like red, green,blue color temp controls, etc.
So a DOUBLE "razzzzzz" to you sir!!!:1:

Rich-n-Texas
09-25-2008, 06:01 AM
...If you think there is anything of significance in this then you need
to move to Texas , buy a clapped out firebird(what a chick magnet)
No car payments on the "clapped out firebird" for the last two years. That = more money for chick rentals, right? :rolleyes:

...and get a job with texas instruments.
Might not be possible tho, they might be cutting back, what with DLP
sales imploding and all:1:
:rolleyes5: :Yawn: :sleep:

pixelthis
09-25-2008, 10:04 PM
No car payments on the "clapped out firebird" for the last two years. That = more money for chick rentals, right? :rolleyes:

:rolleyes5: :Yawn: :sleep:

If you have to "rent" your chicks.
Yeah, no car payment is nice, allows me to buy food and gas.
Heres one to tide you over till your next "rental":1:

RoadRunner6
09-28-2008, 08:58 PM
How Pixelthis cleans the screen on his new Vizio:

http://www.raincitystory.com/flash/screenclean.swf

RR6 :D

pixelthis
09-28-2008, 09:05 PM
How Pixelthis cleans the screen on his new Vizio:

http://www.raincitystory.com/flash/screenclean.swf

RR6 :D

AT least I have reason to clean it, since it will still be working, unlike your new plasma in a few years.:1:

RoadRunner6
09-29-2008, 06:11 AM

:p :p

pixelthis
09-29-2008, 11:12 PM

WHAT did you expect with all of the LCD haters on this board.
When Plasma is an antique in a few years they can go back to hating
CD and extoling the virtues of record players:1: