Contractors - Crooks or honest differences? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Contractors - Crooks or honest differences?

ForeverAutumn
09-13-2008, 06:18 PM
As I've mentioned previously, we're putting a new kitchen in our new house. This week we've had three quotes from three different contractors (all refered to us by people we know) to do some work in the kitchen both before and after the actual cabinet installation.

The highest quote was more than three times the lowest quote!! The middle quote was almost smack dab in the middle.

There are some differences. The two highest quotes were from general contractors who will hire sub-contractors to do the work. The lowest quote is from a two man team who will do all the work themselves (they are licensed and qualified and I've seen their work).

I don't understand how three different guys can have such different prices for the exact same job and materials. That's just crazy. :skep:

JohnMichael
09-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Sounds like the two men team are trying to prove themselves and at the beginning of their career. If you like their work I would go with them. They sound more hands on then the general contractors who will be administrating sub contractors they hire. Good luck in your choice.

Rich-n-Texas
09-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Sounds like the two men team are trying to prove themselves and at the beginning of their career. If you like their work I would go with them. They sound more hands on then the general contractors who will be administrating sub contractors they hire. Good luck in your choice.
If so, they're probably not very experienced. I think what JM's eluding to is that these two are going to bend over backwards to do the best they can to make you, as the homeowner happy so you'll recommend them to others. Ask them for references (people who they've done work for) and call them.

FYI... the answer to your question = crooks!!!

Worf101
09-15-2008, 05:21 AM
In my regulatory work I've dealt with contractors from all over the country and all over the world. I've been lied too, cussed out, threatened and even assaulted by contractors of all stripes. Nothing in the world like an HONEST contractor who bids a job correctly, staff's it adequately, works it diligently and finishes it promptly. If you find one of these, keep his or her number on speed dial and guard it with your life. A good contractor is hard to find and rare as hen's teeth. The post Katrina world is rife with lying, grifting, speculating, low life, two faced scum-bags. There's no other way to put it. Even with all I know I got rooked by a contractor who does carpentry parttime. He works at my ole lady's job so I didn't do a written contract specifying what was what. $600 later we've two sets of half finished wood steps and no relief in sight. Not worth going to small claims court, She learned her lesson.

Da Worfster

kexodusc
09-15-2008, 09:15 AM
As I've mentioned previously, we're putting a new kitchen in our new house. This week we've had three quotes from three different contractors (all refered to us by people we know) to do some work in the kitchen both before and after the actual cabinet installation.

The highest quote was more than three times the lowest quote!! The middle quote was almost smack dab in the middle.

There are some differences. The two highest quotes were from general contractors who will hire sub-contractors to do the work. The lowest quote is from a two man team who will do all the work themselves (they are licensed and qualified and I've seen their work).

I don't understand how three different guys can have such different prices for the exact same job and materials. That's just crazy. :skep:
FA, I would definitely follow Rich's advice and do a reference check if at all possible. My parents made this mistake with the home they built last year, and it certainly became a priority for us. Our contractor had no problem giving references, and we actually found 2 people that build homes with this guy on more than one occasion. Repeat business is a good sign usually.

Prices are funny when it comes to home renos. Some busy contractors charge more becasue they can - they're so busy, they can pick and choose what jobs, and only accept the highest rates. I know we went with the lowest bidder ( 2 licensed guys with decent reps) in our last home to do some flooring. I ended up regretting it - the work was mostly good, but a few minor sub-par imperfections in the finish ended up driving me nuts - my kitchen had some minor flooring issues that they weren't experienced enough or equipped well enough to handle. Long story short, it created another reno job for me later on to cover it up. I didn't know nearly as much about flooring then as I do now, otherwise I would have caught it during their work. Oh well, live and learn. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

ForeverAutumn
09-15-2008, 10:02 AM
Thanks for all the advice.

The guys that we've hired are very experienced. They are a father and son business. They reno'd my brother's kitchen three years ago and his bathroom two years ago. Both jobs were total renos where the rooms were stripped down to the studs with new plumbing and electrical installed. Our reno is simple in comparison...no plumbing needs to be moved (just a shut-off valve to install) and the electrical is minimal.

My brother's kitchen and bathroom look great. They had one problem with a leaky window that these guys installed, and they came over on a Saturday to fix it. It's been fine ever since and my brother continues to hire them for small jobs around the house.

They also installed a new bathroom in my brother's neighbour's house last year and he hired them back to do his kitchen this year.

I have confidence that they will do a good job and that I can trust them. I also know that they will be there when they say they will and will stick to their schedule to finish the job on time. Which is why I was so surprised at how expensive the other guys were!

ForeverAutumn
09-15-2008, 10:38 AM
I didn't know nearly as much about flooring then as I do now, otherwise I would have caught it during their work. Oh well, live and learn. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Did you learn anything about ceramic/porcelain vs. hardwood or laminate?

Hubby and I keep going back and forth on the issue. We finally picked a nice porcelain tile that we both liked, but we just found out that it's out of stock for at least six weeks. So we're back to square one.

kexodusc
09-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Thanks for all the advice.

The guys that we've hired are very experienced. They are a father and son business. They reno'd my brother's kitchen three years ago and his bathroom two years ago. Both jobs were total renos where the rooms were stripped down to the studs with new plumbing and electrical installed. Our reno is simple in comparison...no plumbing needs to be moved (just a shut-off valve to install) and the electrical is minimal.

My brother's kitchen and bathroom look great. They had one problem with a leaky window that these guys installed, and they came over on a Saturday to fix it. It's been fine ever since and my brother continues to hire them for small jobs around the house.

They also installed a new bathroom in my brother's neighbour's house last year and he hired them back to do his kitchen this year.

I have confidence that they will do a good job and that I can trust them. I also know that they will be there when they say they will and will stick to their schedule to finish the job on time. Which is why I was so surprised at how expensive the other guys were!

I like that your bro has used them with success. That's the best kind of reference - someone you know and trust, vs a reference the contractor provides you with. Should be a safe transaction. We'll have to swap house pics when you're done.

emesbee
09-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Q: What's the difference between a contractor and a consultant?
A: The hourly rate.