The "New England Sound" ........ [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The "New England Sound" ........

thekid
09-13-2008, 02:23 AM
With the recent addition of a pair of KLH-17's to my existing Genesis I and EPI 100's I think I have speakers from the Northeast pretty much covered. From what I can tell the speakers I have either directly or indirectly owe their characteristics to Henry Kloss. I have not owned any AR's or Advents but my guess is that since Henry Kloss had a hand in those speakers I would not hear dramatic differences between what I own and those brands but maybe others here would disagree.

I have heard there is a "California" or "West Coast" sound that is a bit different form the "New England" sound. How would owners of speakers that are considered "West Coast" describe the characteristics of their speakers? I am also wondering what speakers members here think best represents that sound. I do not need anymore speakers but I would be interested in seeing if I can come across and pick up any speakers recommended.

Feanor
09-13-2008, 04:44 AM
With the recent addition of a pair of KLH-17's to my existing Genesis I and EPI 100's I think I have speakers from the Northeast pretty much covered. From what I can tell the speakers I have either directly or indirectly owe their characteristics to Henry Kloss. I have not owned any AR's or Advents but my guess is that since Henry Kloss had a hand in those speakers I would not hear dramatic differences between what I own and those brands but maybe others here would disagree.

I have heard there is a "California" or "West Coast" sound that is a bit different form the "New England" sound. How would owners of speakers that are considered "West Coast" describe the characteristics of their speakers? I am also wondering what speakers members here think best represents that sound. I do not need anymore speakers but I would be interested in seeing if I can come across and pick up any speakers recommended.

Many, many years ago I briefly flirted with the idea of buying a pair of JBL Lancer 77's. But before I collected the cash I head them compared with a pair of AR3a's that were obviously a more natural and transparent sound.

Nevertheless the forward, dynamic "West Coast" sound was popular with many. It is said that the JBL L100 or professional equivalent was a popular speaker among Rock recording engineers and producers. I would say that nice pair of L100's would be classic for any collector.

Auricauricle
09-13-2008, 10:14 AM
I heard the term "California Sound" the first time in the mid '80's when my foray into Audioland was started in earnest. The characteristics of this sound were exemplified--like Bill's description above--by JBL's speakers (the L112's in particular): tight, crisp, rather puchy and, after awhile, pretty fatiguing.

So, hearing these criticisms, I took the best course of action: I bought a pair of Klipsch Heresies.

These were not quite as tight but were crisp, a bit more relaxed, and after awhile, fairly fatiguing...

Now I listen to Polk Monitor 7's and am very happy...

...and wonder if my esteemed friends and knowledgeable comrades were full of crap or if I should have spent more time making up my mind....

thekid
09-14-2008, 02:49 AM
I heard the term "California Sound" the first time in the mid '80's when my foray into Audioland was started in earnest. The characteristics of this sound were exemplified--like Bill's description above--by JBL's speakers (the L112's in particular): tight, crisp, rather puchy and, after awhile, pretty fatiguing.

So, hearing these criticisms, I took the best course of action: I bought a pair of Klipsch Heresies.

These were not quite as tight but were crisp, a bit more relaxed, and after awhile, fairly fatiguing...

Now I listen to Polk Monitor 7's and am very happy...

...and wonder if my esteemed friends and knowledgeable comrades were full of crap or if I should have spent more time making up my mind....

I have read some positive things on JBL 100's. I am not sure what it says about JBL's or JBL owners but I do not really see much JBL in the thrift aisles or Polk for that matter.

Worf101
09-15-2008, 04:39 AM
Wow are you preaching to the choir. I LOVE "the New England" sound. Some of the best sounding speakers I've owned have been from Epicure, Epi and AR. Now the west coast sound is more "forward" with it's larger drivers and more emphasis on bass, and high. "Boom Crash" is how some describe it. Good for dorm rooms, frat houses and some recording studios, but not my cuppa. Still some great speakers from out there if you know where and what to look for.
Sigh... with enough money and the right house I'd have dedicated 2 channel listening rooms for all sorts of sources, amps and speakers.

Da Worfster

Auricauricle
09-15-2008, 05:38 AM
"Boom-crash" is an apt description....Like you, I like the more laid back types. I've been hankering for a pair of Tannoys (mebbe SRM's) to treat myself when I graduate. Until then, the Polks are pretty sweet!

Worf, when you get the "room" don't forget the remote control: You know, the twenty something year old who wears a bikini and is ready to fill your drink, run her hand through your hair and say sweet things like, "But this control doesn't go the eleven...."

E-Stat
09-15-2008, 06:16 AM
I have not owned any AR's or Advents but my guess is that since Henry Kloss had a hand in those speakers I would not hear dramatic differences between what I own and those brands but maybe others here would disagree.
The voicing of similar KLH 20s I own is cut from the same cloth as my double Advents.

I have heard there is a "California" or "West Coast" sound that is a bit different form the "New England" sound.
A bit? :)

I'll ditto the feeling that the boosted mid bass and nasty 7 khz peak gets old quickly to these ears. Even if I wanted a highly EQed presentation, I'd rather do that electronically. Other examples came from Cerwin-Vega. Give me a neutral sounding speaker any day. Ironically, the far less popular JBL L-110 was such a neutral reproducer.

rw

emaidel
09-15-2008, 09:34 AM
I fondly recall the days of the East Coast vs. West Coast sound battle, with AR and KLH the biggest players for the East, and JBL the onetime only player for the West. Oddly, KLH speakers had a considerably more "forward"presentation than their AR competitors, and it was this feature that Henry Kloss wanted in the first place while working at AR, that caused him to leave and create (along with two others) KLH. When comparing the AR-2ax to the KLH-6 (which were comparably priced) the KLH was a lot more lively and less distant and muted sounding, though nowhere near as "in your face" as was the sound of a JBL loudspeaker. The same could be said in a comparison to the AR-3 (not the "a" version) and the KLH-5. The KLH-5 had a good deal more presence in the midrange, and sounded a good deal more "musical" than the AR. (The KLH-5 actually used the same drivers as the much larger and costlier KLH-12, which, circa 1968, was one of the best speakers around then.)

The L-100 was a huge success, able to play very loud with little amplfier power, and its "studio monitor" equivalent, the 4311 sold quite well too. The L-110, part of a JBL lineup introduced in 1978 to try to be more "accurate," and less forward, was an unmitigated disaster. Not only did it not have the punch of an older L-100, but it had a horribly colored midrange which made some of the lackluster AR products sound a whole helluva lot better. The 3-piece L-112 was attractive, but far too expensive, and more "colored" than most other speakers near its price, and it too wasn't a sales success. I recall one of my JBL dealers purchasing a set, installing it in their showroom, and then packing it up and sending it back to JBL because they disliked its sound so much.

The KLH-17 was a less expensive version of the Model 6 using a 10" woofer instead of a 12, and in a smaller, but well crafted oiled walnut enclosure. At $79.95 each, they were quite a bargain at the time, but had a bit of a midrange depression. The KLH-20, the first genuine "hi-fi" so-called "compact" stereo, used a 4 ohm equivalent of the 17.

Ah, memories....

E-Stat
09-15-2008, 04:08 PM
The L-110, part of a JBL lineup introduced in 1978 to try to be more "accurate," and less forward, was an unmitigated disaster. Not only did it not have the punch of an older L-100, but it had a horribly colored midrange which made some of the lackluster AR products sound a whole helluva lot better.
I've had the good fortune of meeting and spending an evening talking and listening to the system of an *inmate* from another forum. Business travel put me in his state and he graciously invited me over. He is a retired engineer, lover of Scotch, happens to have similar musical tastes and is an enthusiastic electronic tweaker. One true gem of wisdom he has always espoused is that of system synergy - many differences we hear between components relates to compatibility issues. Amen. He uses very carefully chosen, reasonably priced and good sounding gear. I wish he lived nearby - one can only communicate so much in posts like this over the 'net. The only reason I left was that it was two in the morning and I had a meeting six hours later. Oh well.

He has a number of speakers, including Advents and L-110s. Neither, however, is stock. The Advents are highly tailored with mirror imaged drivers, custom dowel-reinforced cabinets, new wiring, connectors and crossover components. They sound excellent. The L-110 has some mods including the use of an Advent woofer. I find them to be highly neutral sounding, a most pleasant surprise as compared with my experience with the L-100. I have a different complaint of the midrange: narrow dispersion. The tweeters are arguably better than the Advents with their great extension, but I was immediately struck with this weirdness: the image width curiously collapses with frequency as one travels downward from the top. While the Advents don't exactly radiate terribly far off axis, they are at least consistent and more coherent sounding across the full range - an important aspect to me.

The SL electrostats are sweet in that every one of the 4400 square inches radiates a full range signal. As you walk towards them, the sound does not change at all. Top to bottom, front to back or side to side you get the same signal no matter where you are relative to them. By comparison, either the Polk mini-monitors in the HT system or (especially) the double Advents in the garage require some distance for the drivers to blend seamlessly.

rw

emesbee
09-15-2008, 11:36 PM
I've never heard of any of those terms. I've heard of "English sound", "US sound", "European sound" and "Japanese sound" (don't know if there is an "Australian sound"). I'm inclined to think its all a bit meaningless.

emaidel
09-16-2008, 04:06 AM
For a very brief period in my career, I was a manufacturer's representative in Connecticut, and one of the lines my firm represented was JBL. I owned Dahlquist DQ-10's at the time (the very pair I still use today), and had several friends (all of whom were in the business at the time too) visiting when my partner lent me his sample pair of L-110's to listen to. He was convinced they were "deadly accurate" transducers, and that I'd find them quite satisfactory.

After playing some music on the DQ-10's, I disconnected them and connected the L-110's. Each and every one of us felt the L-110's sounded awful: little or no bass response, and excessive, highly colored midrange. Not a one of my dealers liked the speaker either.

I would have to assume that the speaker sounded as bad as it did due to the crosssover network, as all of the drivers, typical of any JBL speaker, were first rate units. JBL's sales pitch at the time was to graphically illustrate the advantages of cast aluminum baskets, and their flat-wire voice coils, attempting to point out that stamped baskets (such as those used on the Advent/DQ-10 woofers) would eventually sag, or do all sorts of other terrible things and eventually self-destruct. While that made for good ad copy, the proof of the pudding is that the "cheap" stamped baskets on my DQ-10 woofers have lasted now for 31 years, and were the basis of a complete rebuild by Regnar in NY a few years ago. Each and every other component of the driver has been replaced, but these baskets are still in perfect working order.

A "modified" L-110 may sound OK, but then it isn't any longer an L-110, but something altogether different.

Worf101
09-16-2008, 05:04 AM
"Boom-crash" is an apt description....Like you, I like the more laid back types. I've been hankering for a pair of Tannoys (mebbe SRM's) to treat myself when I graduate. Until then, the Polks are pretty sweet!

Worf, when you get the "room" don't forget the remote control: You know, the twenty something year old who wears a bikini and is ready to fill your drink, run her hand through your hair and say sweet things like, "But this control doesn't go the eleven...."
Quiet, you WERE NOT supposed to put that in writing. Dang it, now you've jeapadized the entire operation. Years of intense research and development in secret labs throughout the world have been endangered. If womanhood were to learn of our ultimate remote, they would call out Oprah's Army and launch a preemptive strike. Silence Fool!!!!!

Da Worfster

Worf101
09-16-2008, 05:12 AM
I've never heard of any of those terms. I've heard of "English sound", "US sound", "European sound" and "Japanese sound" (don't know if there is an "Australian sound"). I'm inclined to think its all a bit meaningless.
We're talking about speakers from a time when there was a big range in how companies attacked sound reproduction. A Klipsch did NOT sound like an Epicure which did not even resemble a JBL and lets not even discuss the Bose 901 Series One. The differences in sound reproduction were palpable and measurable. Not just a figment of folks' fevered imaginations.

Da Worfster

thekid
09-20-2008, 09:07 AM
Well I broke down and bought a pair of Genesis 10's from the local thrift. They started out wanting $50 for them and as they sat awhile they then went down to $25. I asked if they'd take $10 and we settled on $15. Basically the same as the Genesis 1's that I have but slightly larger cabinets. It was just killing me seeing them sitting there on the floor waiting for some kid to scratchem or poke at the drivers. They need a refoam but the grills and cabinets are in very good shape.

Until I get a working camera to post pgots of these and the KLH-17's you can see what the 10's look like on the this link;

http://www.humanspeakers.com/genesis/gen10.htm

thekid
09-27-2008, 02:03 AM
I got my hands on a camera and thought I'd update this thread with some pics.
Attached are pics of the KLH-17's and Genesis 10's I just picked up. Also attached is a pic of my recently re-foamed Genesis 1's. I am ordering the surrounds today for the Genesis 10's and the EPI 100's I picked up awhile back.

Auricauricle
09-28-2008, 11:36 AM
So, Worf: Are you suggesting that speakers (manufactured today) are less idiosyncatic in terms of sound quality and that a correspondingly more "generic" product (aurally speaking) is more the norm?

Is this what's facing "the masses": to spend more money if they want to reap sonic benefit?

Pretty bleak.

Worf101
09-29-2008, 05:14 AM
First, Kid, that is one schweeeeeeet vintage analog set up. I'm practically green wit envy and drooling with lust. Great bargain group of speakers.

Second

So, Worf: Are you suggesting that speakers (manufactured today) are less idiosyncatic in terms of sound quality and that a correspondingly more "generic" product (aurally speaking) is more the norm?

Is this what's facing "the masses": to spend more money if they want to reap sonic benefit?

Pretty bleak.

Yes, I am suggesting just that. Many of today's speakers are just a variation on the more WAFable, ported slim line floorstander with 5 to 8 inch drivers in them. Every company, large or small from Fluance to B&W makes a speaker like the one I detailed above. Of course differences exist in cabinetry, driver quality, crossover etc... but the basic designs are quite similar. Yest there are exceptions like Maggies and other sound solutions but these are few and far between.

Da Worfster

thekid
09-29-2008, 02:17 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, Kid, that is one schweeeeeeet vintage analog set up. I'm practically green wit envy and drooling with lust. Great bargain group of speakers

Worf- Thanks I appreciate your feedback and others here as I pursue vintage midfi.....

Auricauricle
09-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Man, that's a pretty grim indictment of the market, W. Of course there are manufacturing idiosyncracies and designs that are "unconventional" (for lack of a better term) like Magnepan's and the like are certainly offer sonic challenges. It sounds as though there's just not much in the way of innovation and development. Ya think any of this has to do with the current infatuation with portable music, vis-a-vis the Ipod (etc.) and a lack of interest in living-room listening or have we just reached creativity's point of stagnation?

It's sorta akin to Stradivarius being told to close shop and not bother coming back. Yamaha has moved into the neighborhood and his cheaper (crude word) and more readily available instruments will suit folks just fine.

Whew!

Worf101
10-01-2008, 07:48 AM
Man, that's a pretty grim indictment of the market, W. Of course there are manufacturing idiosyncracies and designs that are "unconventional" (for lack of a better term) like Magnepan's and the like are certainly offer sonic challenges. It sounds as though there's just not much in the way of innovation and development. Ya think any of this has to do with the current infatuation with portable music, vis-a-vis the Ipod (etc.) and a lack of interest in living-room listening or have we just reached creativity's point of stagnation?

It's sorta akin to Stradivarius being told to close shop and not bother coming back. Yamaha has moved into the neighborhood and his cheaper (crude word) and more readily available instruments will suit folks just fine.

Whew!

Well you gotta understand. The audiophile will ALWAYS spend more to get exotic "different" speakers which may take a radically different approach to sound reproduction. But us midfiers, not to mention "the great unwashed", want decent sound at the lowest possible price. Couple this with the fact that you've only two ears, and those two inputs can only process sound in one way. You've got ear buds, headphones and speakers. Until someone comes up with an aureal implant, there's little progress that I can see left to be made in the transference of sound to the brain. I don't expect to see anything radically different than the slimline tower design for quite sometime.

Da Worfster

Auricauricle
10-01-2008, 08:03 AM
If what you are saying is correct, then the manufacturers have no incentive at all to produce anything better than "decent".

While I agree with you in the sense that this (standard) may have broad appeal, I am congnizant of the fact--this forum alone bears this out--that there is a substantial population of folks who appreciate sound enough to want better. Mebbe the financial straits we're in is taking its toll, but something is driving the edge down. I hate to sound like the old man who says, "Ah, yes, I remember the good ol' days...", but, well....Ah, yes, I remember the good ol' days when you actually had to listen to the speakers before you bought them. I guess there's no reason to even bother spending top dollar or a little more: They all sound the same, anyway!

Gee, I'm gettin' sore....

E-Stat
10-01-2008, 03:02 PM
The audiophile will ALWAYS spend more to get exotic "different" speakers which may take a radically different approach to sound reproduction.
And yet, all of the most expensive speakers in my experience ($100k+) are just variations of conventional cones 'n domes box speakers like Wilson, Kharma, Scaena, etc. Go figure.

rw

Auricauricle
10-02-2008, 01:00 PM
Kind of nice that I don't have to aspire to much, soundwise (!)

thekid
10-02-2008, 01:16 PM
And yet, all of the most expensive speakers in my experience ($100k+) are just variations of conventional cones 'n domes box speakers like Wilson, Kharma, Scaena, etc. Go figure.

rw

Well then I guess the $10 I spent on the KLH was a good choice.
It was either them or a $20,000 pair of Kef's............. :p

Auricauricle
10-02-2008, 03:07 PM
That felt good!

Most of the gear that I have bought, recently, has either been acquired at a local pawn shop or the internet. I see no shame is saving a few pennies, this way, and if you have the sense and sensibility to discern what you like, you're doin' pretty good. I was luck to trade a second-hand Yammie preamp for the Polks I use now. As far as I reckon, they are the best speakers I have ever owned.....I'm just waiting for someone to throw a pair of Maggies or maybe a couple of Tannoy Winchesters (I can dream can't I?).

E-Stat
10-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Well then I guess the $10 I spent on the KLH was a good choice.
It was either them or a $20,000 pair of Kef's............. :p
I'll see that and raise you, er lower you! I was given a pair of very similar KLH 20s by an "inmate" at another forum who lives in the same town as I. I also have a double pair of New Advents that I use in my garage system. Long live the New England sound!

rw

thekid
10-02-2008, 03:24 PM
I'll see that and raise you, er lower you! I was given a pair of very similar KLH 20s by an "inmate" at another forum who lives in the same town as I. I also have a double pair of New Advents that I use in my garage system. Long live the New England sound!

rw

E- You win..... I can't go lower than free!
I was just listening to Neil Young "Harvest" on the 17's and they were awesome!

Styx
10-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Another member of the East Coast Posse here. I got a pair of EPI Magnus CD55's from a buddy that purchased them in '85. They sat in storage, boxed up for years. He gave them as a gift to me about 4yrs ago.....very good friend I must say. The surrounds on the woofers were shot so I bought a set of woofers from Humanspeakers. Very good quality replacements.....a rather odd fellow though. They sound as good as I remember. :)

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o73/BigT12045/P1060268_1_1.jpg

thekid
10-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Styx- Very nice speaker there!
I am used to associating EPI with the "fried egg" tweeter. How would you say your Magnus do with the highs vs. older EPI's?

Auricauricle
10-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Very unusual, interesting looking speaker.....The "brilliance" and "presence" controls are quite remarkable.

In a similar vein, I was wondering: A local person is interested in selling a pair of KEF 304.1's for about $250.00. From his report, these were reference speakers that were rather expensive when they were released in or around 1981. Does anyone know anything about 'em?

Styx
10-05-2008, 04:46 AM
Styx- Very nice speaker there!
I am used to associating EPI with the "fried egg" tweeter. How would you say your Magnus do with the highs vs. older EPI's?

The only older EPI's I've heard were the 150's many many years ago so it's hard to comment on the differences. As for the CD 55's they're bright and clear. No fried egg here.:lol:

Styx
10-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Very unusual, interesting looking speaker.....The "brilliance" and "presence" controls are quite remarkable.

In a similar vein, I was wondering: A local person is interested in selling a pair of KEF 304.1's for about $250.00. From his report, these were reference speakers that were rather expensive when they were released in or around 1981. Does anyone know anything about 'em?

Don't know anything about those speakers....but I did find this:

http://www.kef.com/kefamerica/history/1970/model304.asp

Auricauricle
10-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks. Been there.

Welcome to the Looney Bin, BTW. Where you hailing from?

Styx
10-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Southern Maryland.......about 40 miles south of DC.

Auricauricle
10-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Cool! Well, welcome and hope you enjoy it hear with the rest of us meatballs....

thekid
10-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Southern Maryland.......about 40 miles south of DC.

Welcome aboard.
I am familiar with the St.Mary's-La plata area.
I used to work in the area on occasion a few years back.

Styx
10-05-2008, 01:04 PM
II've been working in Leonardtown Md (St. Mary's) for the last 3 years. My 1 1/2 hrs commute to DC was cut to 25 mins.......what a quality of life change. You wouldn't recognize Waldorf, La Plata (Charles County) or Lexington Park (St. Mary's County) now.....they're getting like Northern Virginia. I guess change is inevitable.

bobsticks
10-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Hey Styx...sticks here. Welcome aboard, eh and nice gears. Got some nice vintage feelies going on there and I'm bettin' some great sounds. And, you're right about the commute thing. I've recently gone from 17 minutes to 40-45 and it does negatively impact quality of life.

Auri, I can't claim to have heard that particular model but that may be a bit steep. I think if you shopped around on e-bay you kind find something newer and up a line or two for the same kind of money.
I'm pretty vocal about my love for KEF products. I've got the Q7 that I use in my computer set-up and they're great, all-purpose little speakers. I would imagine you could find those or their baby brothers for around the same price and save yourself a decade or so of wear and tear.

Peace

---sticks

Auricauricle
10-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the word, 'Sticks, and nice to "read" from ya!

You probably know I'm listening to a keen pair of Polks, now, and thought the KEF might signal a solid upgrade without breaking the bank. As far as something more up to date, well, I'm gonna hafta put that on hold until I start practice.

Still, I'll be checking the KEFs out tomorrow or so and if y'all want to know my thoughts about 'em, I'll post accordingly....

Styx
10-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Hey Styx...sticks here. Welcome aboard, eh and nice gears. Got some nice vintage feelies going on there and I'm bettin' some great sounds.

---sticks

Thanks. Vintage more out of necessity than choice. :cryin:

Auricauricle
10-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Gave a listen to the KEF's this morning. Here are a few thoughts.....

At 14 kg per speaker, the unassuming dimensions 680 x280 x 315 mm of the KEF 304’s footprint which has been described as “modest” (http://www.kef.com/kefamerica/ history/1970/model304.asp), belied my first appraisal of the loudspeaker. To be honest, this was a dismissive mistake that reminded me very quickly of the adage about big things in little packages (conjure up photo of atomic bomb here).

The speakers were set up in a corner of a modest yet cozy living room. The electronics consisted of consumer products that were neither overtly showy nor cheap: a solid Yammy receiver driving a non-nonsense Toshiba DVD player. Audition started with a female vocalist who was described as yet another very talented musician who hadn’t made it to the airwaves in a performance that simply floored me in the first minute. The 304’s produce 107 dB SPL, an incredible amount of energy that was accentuated by a prodigious amount of bass that was clean, clean, clean. Further surprises revealed themselves with a playing of Tom Waites’ I Wish I was in New Orleans, from My Funny Valentine. Waites’ voice was beautifully reproduced by the speakers, which did not stray from their task or inch away from any detail. I detected a slightly sibilant quality in Waites’ voice, something that would probably escape my notice on a lesser speaker and kicked myself for not being more familiar with this album. Waites is a strong pianist, and on the KEF’s not only were individual notes heard but also sonorous resonance of the instrument, reminding me of the muscular performances of Liszt and Rachmaninov.

Imaging was equally impressive with each instrument assertively occupying his side of the microphone. Perhaps this last remark says more about the receiver or the CD player, but on the KEF’s musicians voices and the placement of their instruments were rock steady. The lower end of the sonics was massive, and while the 304’s were perched atop stands to remove interference with the floor, they produced heaviness that bloomed amazingly well. Bass drum and guitars resounded in lightning fast time and were played firmly and professionally. Mid range was initially somewhat bright, but clocking back the treble to 1130 or so was translated quite nicely, leading me to think that the speakers were tube-ready and had me wishing I still had my HK Citation 5. Highs were equally smooth, not at all harsh or grating, and the subharmonics that seemed to occupy this domain rang out with a fluidity that nearly made me weep.

In my years of listening to loudspeakers--and I have listened to many--there were a few could be rightfully described as really and truly incredible. Such loudspeakers remind me why I took up this strange hobby in the first place, for they transcend casual listening into an active engagement that brings me ever closer to that intellectual and visceral connection that is, so oftentimes, so elusive.

thekid
10-08-2008, 01:34 AM
Auricauricle

Good review-Sounds like you got some keepers there.
KEF is definitely one of the brands I have never seen in the thrift aisles or even on CL.

Auricauricle
10-08-2008, 05:25 AM
Thank you for the compliment, Kid:

Although I fell in love with the speakers, I told the fellow who was selling them that doing so would be a mistake that would be sorely regretted, if he did so at this time. The seller, a local contractor and frustrated author, has fallen upon hard times and was putting speakers up as an act of desparation---a situation that I could not, in good conscience, take advantage of. This guy clearly loves music, and has an excellent ear and a passion for form--it would be like taking away a limb or a vital organ.

Still, we agreed that when things get better economically, he said he would give me first dibs....

bobsticks
10-08-2008, 05:59 AM
Nice review, my man. Clearly you heard some of the attributes that far too few on this side of the pond will get to. It really is a shame that their marketing scheme doesn't include a greater focus on the States. There's several KEF models that are competitive for "Best for the Bucks" in their respective categories.

--sticks

Styx
10-08-2008, 06:02 AM
Thank you for the compliment, Kid:

Although I fell in love with the speakers, I told the fellow who was selling them that doing so would be a mistake that would be sorely regretted, if he did so at this time. The seller, a local contractor and frustrated author, has fallen upon hard times and was putting speakers up as an act of desparation---a situation that I could not, in good conscience, take advantage of. This guy clearly loves music, and has an excellent ear and a passion for form--it would be like taking away a limb or a vital organ.

Still, we agreed that when things get better economically, he said he would give me first dibs....

Class act.......:thumbsup:

Auricauricle
10-08-2008, 06:06 AM
I agree with you, 'Sticks. These speakers reawakened a passion that I have not experienced for quite some time.

And thanks, Styx.

thekid
10-12-2008, 04:32 AM
I refoamed the Genesis 10's and hooked them up today. I A/B them with my Genesis I's which seem to have the same woofer/tweeter combo and I can't tell them apart. Excellent highs and solid bass! The strings on Vivaldi's Four Seasons really sing and the drums are quick and tight on my Michael Buble' CD. I have actually stacked the Genesis 1's on the 10's and seems to work pretty well.

Only problem at this point is that the 1's have their original beige cloth and the 10's have black. The cabinets for both of them are in excellent condition with no scratches or gouges so new cloth fronts would really complete them. I have heard people have used "regular cloth" for speakers grills any reason why I could not find something at a local fabric store that will work? I am thinking of staying with beige since the KLH 17's next to these have their original beige covered grills. I could probalby do all 3 for not too much coin.

Feanor
10-12-2008, 09:39 AM

Only problem at this point is that the 1's have their original beige cloth and the 10's have black. The cabinets for both of them are in excellent condition with no scratches or gouges so new cloth fronts would really complete them. I have heard people have used "regular cloth" for speakers grills any reason why I could not find something at a local fabric store that will work? I am thinking of staying with beige since the KLH 17's next to these have their original beige covered grills. I could probalby do all 3 for not too much coin.

Purpose specific grill cloth is easy enough to find and not particularly expensive. For example, check out Parts Express' selection (http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CAT_ID=48&ObjectGroup_ID=140).

thekid
10-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Purpose specific grill cloth is easy enough to find and not particularly expensive. For example, check out Parts Express' selection (http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CAT_ID=48&ObjectGroup_ID=140).

Thanks for the link but they want like $16 a yard and i am thinking I could get it for around a 1/3 of that price. The weave of the fabric on the older Genesis and KLH seems pretty think almost like burlap so I'm think I should be able to find it out there. Cloth is cloth right??

Auricauricle
10-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Way to go Kid!

Why don't you pop by a coffee shop and see if they have any of the burlap bags that they ship coffee beans in? You'll get the bonus of music that smells good, too!

thekid
10-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Way to go Kid!

Why don't you pop by a coffee shop and see if they have any of the burlap bags that they ship coffee beans in? You'll get the bonus of music that smells good, too!

Well you never know with Starbucks hitting the skids burlap might be at an all-time low... :yesnod:

Grill issues aside I just spent the last couple of hours working on my laptop and enjoying my "stacked" Genesis combo........ :14:

Auricauricle
10-13-2008, 02:31 AM
Ya did good, Kid....Admire your ingenuity!

Worf101
10-14-2008, 04:27 AM
It's threads and posts like this that make me glad I found this place and glad I stayed around. Good, solid, reviews, and real "personal" experience with a wide variety of products.

Thanks Kid and all who've posted.

Da Worfster

thekid
12-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Thought I'd revive this thread to show my latest pick-up for $5 at a local store. These are manufactured in New Milford Connecticut and seem to be right from the KLH-EPI-Advent school of speaker sound/design.

Cabinets are bit worse for wear but that is an easy fix. The grills are in great shape except for the need for some new velcro. Soundwise they are pretty impressive. Probably the tightest-deepest bass of all my vintage gear-very close with the KLH-17's. Highs are clear and the only weak spot might be the mid-range but will need to hear more music on them to say for sure.

From what I could find these date from the early 70's. 1 single 10 inch woofer with I would guess a 3 inch tweeter.

Auricauricle
12-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Schweet, man! Get up and goin' and let us know how they handle the cranks!

Styx
12-24-2008, 08:41 AM
Nice Kid. Here's some more New England magic. http://cgi.ebay.com/EPI-Magnus-Floor-Speakers-CD60-Recently-re-coned_W0QQitemZ250346599808QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item250346599808&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50 Shame it's a local pickup.:mad5:

thekid
12-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Nice Kid. Here's some more New England magic. http://cgi.ebay.com/EPI-Magnus-Floor-Speakers-CD60-Recently-re-coned_W0QQitemZ250346599808QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item250346599808&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50 Shame it's a local pickup.:mad5:

Hmmm my nephew lives in Dallas.......... :D

Thanks for thinking of me.
I really have to stop buying speakers and other gear but the price was right on these ADC.
I did just sell my 2 pairs of Sony speakers so I freed up some more space.......... :smilewinkgrin:

Worf101
12-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Never ran ADC's before. Can't beat that price though. Man I love the New England sound.

Da Worfster

thekid
12-27-2008, 02:53 AM
Never ran ADC's before. Can't beat that price though. Man I love the New England sound.

Da Worfster

Yeah they were new to me as well. Isuspect I well move out one my pairs of Genesis speakers to accomodate these when I finish with the cabinets. The more I listen to them the more I like them plus the grills have a high WAF value when sitting next to my Optimus 5's.

I have started going into these stores which are a type of glorified pawn shop because my son finds a lot of older video games there. I of course go over to the electronics section. I think they price their stuff by just doing a quick E-Bay search and if nothing comes up they price to get it out the door. Which has already worked out for me a couple of times with older gear like this.

When I pulled the grills off and saw the drivers and the tone switches on the back I thought these might have something to them. I have since been able to do some research on them and turned up a lot of favorable impressions. For those of you who like the sound and look of some of the older speakers I would add these to your "sleeper" list and pick them up if you get the chance.

blackraven
12-27-2008, 09:53 AM
These were some of my favorite speakers in the 1970's. http://www.humanspeakers.com/genesis/gen44.htm

I was saving up my money to buy a pair when I was in College but things didnt work out.
They sure had a sweet sound.

thekid
12-27-2008, 12:59 PM
These were some of my favorite speakers in the 1970's. http://www.humanspeakers.com/genesis/gen44.htm

I was saving up my money to buy a pair when I was in College but things didnt work out.
They sure had a sweet sound.

Well the Genesis' still sound sweet.
I was lucky that I did not need to save up for my. The Genesis I's cost me $8 plus $15 for the refoam kit and the Genesis 10's cost me $15 plus another $20 for the refoam kit......... :D

freddievortex1
12-28-2008, 04:50 PM

As a former musician and audio salesman I would first like to say that neither sound is superior to the other, it's all what pleases you.Second, geography relating to what part of the country they were made isn't the criteria used.
East coast sound if looked at with a spectral frequency display, you would see a pretty flat graph, whereas in a West coast sound displayed, you would see a rise in certain frequencies (mostly midrange).
While some purists desire the music source to be played as recorded (classical for example). Some people want the flat frequency response so that they can use EQ to satisfy their own perception of what they want to hear.
West Coast speakers (JBL for example) are widely used in studios to mix and monitor recordings of most of the older rock & roll as well as with the new music and movies.
But it still comes down to your ears, not brand names or East vs West coast.:0: