Wharfedale Diamond 9.4? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wharfedale Diamond 9.4?

Mark111867
09-11-2008, 04:51 AM
I ran into the opportunity to get a pair of 9.4's for $300 USD. Anybody heard them? I have no way of auditioning them, but I can return them minus shipping charges within 30 days. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Mark

LarryCow
09-20-2008, 12:05 PM
I have the Diamond 8.3, which is the equivalent speaker from the prior generation. I liked them very much; although I have since changed to Maggies in my main system, I have them in a backup/game system inthe basement. Nice smooth highs, slightly recessed midrange, adequate bass which tightened up nicely when I added sand to the cabinets for mass loading. I can't imagine doing much better for the $$.

Mark111867
09-24-2008, 04:41 AM
I just received the 9.4's a couple of days ago. I am very happy so far. Very smooth sound. Treble sounds clean and crisp without being the slightest bit harsh. You are right Larry, I probably couldn't have done much better for the money. Thanks for the reply.

-Mark

bubslewis
09-25-2008, 04:45 PM
I have the Diamond 8.3, which is the equivalent speaker from the prior generation. I liked them very much; although I have since changed to Maggies in my main system, I have them in a backup/game system inthe basement. Nice smooth highs, slightly recessed midrange, adequate bass which tightened up nicely when I added sand to the cabinets for mass loading. I can't imagine doing much better for the $$.

That's funny. A long time ago Wharfdale added sand to their top end model speakers. My father owns a pair that were manufactured back in the 1950's (or early 60's). They are sand filled.

What induced you to add sand to the cabinets?

Bill

LarryCow
09-25-2008, 05:36 PM
The manual recommended it, and they are built w/ a separate lower compartment w/an opening to add sand or shot. I found the bass kid of flabby initially, but adding the sand clearly tightened it up. I assume it decreases the unwanted vibrations of the cabinet, and it's much cheaper than building a more rigid, braced cabinet.
Of course, I then found that Maggies, w/o any cabinet, eliminated the need for sand or bracing. I can't see going back now...