How many songs should an 8 gig iPhone hold [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How many songs should an 8 gig iPhone hold

victemizer
09-10-2008, 10:16 PM
I recently upgraded to an iPhone. I really like it, lots of cool features.

I had lots of formatting issues, but have finally got music to load on it. My only complaint at this point is the number of CD's I was able to load. All I have on it right now is the music my about 100 contacts, and what ever update that Apple put on it. No games, no album covers, no pictures... I was only able to get 28 albums or about 300 songs on it. I was expecting something closer to 2000 (based on what the guy at the Apple store told me, imagine that).

I was curious what others here were able to load on their iPods or iPhones with similar capacity.

Thanks for any feedback

Vic

Feanor
09-11-2008, 02:28 AM
I recently upgraded to an iPhone. I really like it, lots of cool features.

I had lots of formatting issues, but have finally got music to load on it. My only complaint at this point is the number of CD's I was able to load. All I have on it right now is the music my about 100 contacts, and what ever update that Apple put on it. No games, no album covers, no pictures... I was only able to get 28 albums or about 300 songs on it. I was expecting something closer to 2000 (based on what the guy at the Apple store told me, imagine that).

I was curious what others here were able to load on their iPods or iPhones with similar capacity.

Thanks for any feedback

Vic

Vic, it sounds to me like your CDs were ripped in lossless format. A CD ripped to Apple Lossless format will occupy 300 MB more or less, so 28 CDs in 8 GB sounds about right. A figure like 2000 pertains to 128 kpbs compression.

victemizer
09-11-2008, 05:57 AM
Thanks... Sounds like I need to be a lot more selective about what I put on there

Feanor
09-11-2008, 06:57 AM
Thanks... Sounds like I need to be a lot more selective about what I put on there

I rip everything to Apple Lossless. Because I also listen to the music through my main stereo system, lossy compression is unacceptable to me. Unfortunately that means I have to manage what's on my 4 GB iPod Mini very carefully.