Worth getting this speaker? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Worth getting this speaker?

shift
09-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Ok, so i put together a home theater system some parts i had at home, i have a Panasonic SA HE-70 Receiver, 2 Floor standing Yamaha NS-A2835 Speakers front, 2 Cambridge SoundWorks Ensemble II shelf rear speakers and my center channel is just a sub from computer speaker set [ghetto i know].....anywayz, i have the opportunity to an Infinity CC-2 center channel speaker for $50, my question is would it be worth getting [like would i notice a difference] or should i just save my money to put toward something else? Im also looking for a self powered sub to complete my setup [for now] but i havent found something good in my price range yet......

shift
09-11-2008, 11:12 AM
any1?

Auricauricle
09-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Shift: In my experience, as components go, speaker assessment is at best a subjective judgment call. If you like the way it sounds and it fits within your constraints (budget-wise, room-wise, looks-wise, wives'-wise....then you ought to give it a shot and the hell with anyone who says otherwise. Yes, you can do better; the thing about this game is that it requires you to keep your ears open. Unfortunately, no-one said that our eyes are also going to be open, and we're going to be enticed, tempted, lured and trapped by the vast myriad of components and things out there that promise to make our listening pleasure greater and take us to raptures that we can only barely describe.

Again, don't let anyone lead you astray or tell you otherwise. If you are happy, then you should go with it until you find something nicer and your situation allows you to dive in.

Ghetto or not, if you like a $12.00 of wine from Argentina better than the $150.00 Chateau Lafite, that is your preference, and bully for you for saving a buck or two instead of getting suckered into spending more....

Remember, there's always a bunch of reviews, etc. on the Internet if you wanna get "objective"....(Hmph!)

blackraven
09-11-2008, 03:48 PM
I would try to match your center channel to your front speakers if you can, meaning try to find a matching Yammy. If matching is not important then pick a center channel that sounds good with dialog so that you can understand what is being said in a movie. To me, the center channel is the most important speaker in a HT set up. I use a mismatched center channel with my speakers because music is the most important thing to me as well as being able to hear dialog clearly.

Auricauricle
09-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Raven: Isn't that what the Center (Phantom, Wide, Normal) control on certain AV receivers is for?

Seriously: I don't know.....God I am so cufdenos...

pixelthis
09-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Ok, so i put together a home theater system some parts i had at home, i have a Panasonic SA HE-70 Receiver, 2 Floor standing Yamaha NS-A2835 Speakers front, 2 Cambridge SoundWorks Ensemble II shelf rear speakers and my center channel is just a sub from computer speaker set [ghetto i know].....anywayz, i have the opportunity to an Infinity CC-2 center channel speaker for $50, my question is would it be worth getting [like would i notice a difference] or should i just save my money to put toward something else? Im also looking for a self powered sub to complete my setup [for now] but i havent found something good in my price range yet......

"Matching" speakers on such a "ghetto" system is a minor concern,
wont make much difference at this quality, but dont worry, we all started somewhere.
The Infinity will be your center, well, that is most important for HT,
and will be a place to start towards "improving" your system.
Fifty bucks? Go for it.:1:

blackraven
09-12-2008, 10:29 AM
A. tone controls on AVR's dont always make a difference in clarity and audibility of center channels.

Auricauricle
09-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Um...ok...I thoght the Phantom Channel was to give one the sense of a center channel in lieu of an actual speaker. As far as I hear, the compromise is a good one.

As long as this doesn't miss the point of this hallowed thread....

Graphyfotoz
09-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Rule of thumb is to try to mach speakers as much as you can for best sound.
When your starting out that isn't easy.....budget doesn't always alow it.
Been there done that and still doing it!!

Infinity makes nice stuff and is definately better than what you got.
$50 is about the going price for many 2nd hand nicer centers....Polk....Infinity.
I've seen Yamaha Centers around for $35-$50 on the bay.

As $$ allow it just upgrade as you go.....I've been doing it for years.
Keeps life interesting! :lol: