I received my CBM-170's this week! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I received my CBM-170's this week!

Lord Nikon
03-11-2004, 08:42 AM
I didn't read through the insturctions but I hear there is a break in period of a week or two. Any information on the break-in period is welcome/

I just received my Ascend Acoustic CBM-170's and all I can say is WOW! I have them hooked up to my old 1997 Technics receiver which is not anything to compare to the new receiver I plan on getting in a couple weeks. Besides that, even on the old receiver these speakers sound amazing. I purchased new wire cables which I plan to use because the old ones I am using are not exactly decent.

My current HT system had a 7" powered sub or something like that. I unplugged the sub, and the technics center channel and I am just running the CBM-170's. I sat the kids down to watch finding Nemo and I went upstairs. The freaking house was rocking from the bass. I understand many people complain that there is not enough bass and a sub is needed. That may be true, but I am amazed how hard the bass is. During some scenes the sound hit so clear and so fast that I flinched as if I was there.

I cannot wait to finish my HT system. Still torn between the Marantz SR5400, HK 330, and a Yamaha which I feel is somewhat bright. I planned to get the Ascend CMT-340c center and the HSU 10" and the CBM-170's for my surrounds in the near future.

I do not want to use my current 7" sub or technic center channel because I feel it will make the sound on the CBMs not as nice. Receiver is being ordered in 2 weeks. What do I get next? Center channel, surround, or sub. I already have the mains, and the receiver coming. Some people say subs, some may say center... I just want to know the reasons.

F1
03-11-2004, 04:52 PM
..... Any information on the break-in period is welcome/
I just received my Ascend Acoustic CBM-170's and all I can say is WOW! ........
I do not want to use my current 7" sub or technic center channel because I feel it will make the sound on the CBMs not as nice. Receiver is being ordered in 2 weeks. What do I get next? Center channel, surround, or sub. I already have the mains, and the receiver coming. Some people say subs, some may say center... I just want to know the reasons.

Congratulation!
Don't worry about break-in period, just listen to it. What to get next... Well, Center channel will carry approx 70% of the movie sound esp dialogue, the Surround will create enveloping sound and the Subwoofer will add impact to make the action sounds 'real'. Up to you to decide.

Geoffcin
03-12-2004, 03:43 PM
I didn't read through the insturctions but I hear there is a break in period of a week or two. Any information on the break-in period is welcome/

I just received my Ascend Acoustic CBM-170's and all I can say is WOW! I have them hooked up to my old 1997 Technics receiver which is not anything to compare to the new receiver I plan on getting in a couple weeks. Besides that, even on the old receiver these speakers sound amazing. I purchased new wire cables which I plan to use because the old ones I am using are not exactly decent.

My current HT system had a 7" powered sub or something like that. I unplugged the sub, and the technics center channel and I am just running the CBM-170's. I sat the kids down to watch finding Nemo and I went upstairs. The freaking house was rocking from the bass. I understand many people complain that there is not enough bass and a sub is needed. That may be true, but I am amazed how hard the bass is. During some scenes the sound hit so clear and so fast that I flinched as if I was there.

I cannot wait to finish my HT system. Still torn between the Marantz SR5400, HK 330, and a Yamaha which I feel is somewhat bright. I planned to get the Ascend CMT-340c center and the HSU 10" and the CBM-170's for my surrounds in the near future.

Congrats on the new speaks!

If your putting together an HT system I would get a center next.

PmR
03-12-2004, 05:04 PM
If your main concern is music, I would get the subwoofer next. If your main concern is HT, I would get the center and the receiver next and then finally the subwoofer. The rear surrounds can definitely but put off for awhile without losing too much.

If you're looking to save money, you can get much cheaper speakers for the rear without losing much in HT. If you want to do hi-rez audio (SACD, DVD-A) in the future then you should got the CBM-170s.