Isn't this article sounding very familiar [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Isn't this article sounding very familiar

elapsed
09-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Found this over on the Naim forums.. http://kenrockwell.com/tech/7.htm

I was laughing when I read this article, especially for Level 0, 1, 2. Sounds all too familiar when applied to audio ;)

Also lots of great articles linked from here

cheers,
elapsed

Worf101
09-10-2008, 04:19 AM
That was fun and too true. The last column about the internet kibitzer was/is too true and too funny. However I do not think that a person would argue the merits of equipment they've never owned or tested, that's ridiculous. Or perhaps I'm just being naive.

Da Worfster

Ajani
09-10-2008, 05:17 AM
That was fun and too true. The last column about the internet kibitzer was/is too true and too funny. However I do not think that a person would argue the merits of equipment they've never owned or tested, that's ridiculous. Or perhaps I'm just being naive.

Da Worfster

You'd be suprised... I think people really will argue about things they've never tested... I see people on audio sites claim that all "high-end" is smoke and mirrors, snake-oil, high-profit margins or just BS, despite never auditioning any gear that would be considered "high-end"... I've also seen people with "high-end" gear totally dismiss affordable gear as rubbish, low-fi, mid-fi or mass market, without ever listening to the gear and deciding for themselves...

Anyway, the article was really good... it illustrated the difference between people who love ART and people who love CAMERAS... which is much the same as the difference between people who love MUSIC and people who love AUDIO EQUIPMENT...

Of course, you can love both (usually not equally though)... but many people confuse love of equipment with love of music... they are the ones who cannot understand how someone can spend hours per day listening to music on their ipod, but will instead spend hours each day browsing 'audiophile' websites and tweaking their gear/cables...