Fringe [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Fringe

Kam
09-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Ok, so it's written by JJ and that automatically gets a peak out of me. So i'll be tuning in to the premier tonight just to see if the JJ touch continues with another interesting tv show. Anyone else gonna be tuning in??

ForeverAutumn
09-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Never heard of it. Tell me more!

Kam
09-09-2008, 01:20 PM
straight from the horses mouth:

From J.J. Abrams ("Lost"), Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, the team behind "Star Trek," "Mission: Impossible III" and "Alias," comes a new series that will thrill, terrify and explore the blurring line between the possible and the impossible.

When an international flight lands at Boston's Logan Airport with no signs of life, FBI Special Agent OLIVIA DUNHAM (Anna Torv) is called in to investigate as part of an inter-agency task force. After her partner, Special Agent JOHN SCOTT (Mark Valley), is nearly killed during the investigation, a desperate Olivia searches frantically for someone to help, leading her to DR. WALTER BISHOP (John Noble), our generation's Einstein. There's only one catch: he's been institutionalized for the last 17 years, and the only way to question him requires pulling his estranged son PETER (Joshua Jackson) in to help.

When Olivia's investigation leads to multi-billion dollar corporation Massive Dynamic and its manipulative corporate executive, NINA SHARP (Blair Brown), our unlikely trio, along with Department of Homeland Security Agent PHILLIP BROYLES (Lance Reddick) and FBI Agents CHARLIE FRANCIS (Kirk Acevedo) and ASTRID FARNSWORTH (Jasika Nicole), will discover that what happened on Flight 627 is only a small piece of a larger, more shocking truth.

The FRINGE pilot is directed by Emmy Award-winning Alex Graves ("The West Wing"), and the series is produced by Warner Bros. Television and Bad Robot Productions. J.J. Abrams, Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, Jeff Pinkner and Bryan Burk serve as executive producers.

bobsticks
09-09-2008, 04:24 PM
You don't hear the name "Astrid" much anymore.

Kam
09-10-2008, 06:01 AM
well i'll be tuning in next week! not sure how much of the appeal of the show will go beyond the sci-fi geek crowd (of which i am a part of), i don't think it's that great a show to transcend the genre, but it certainly has the touches... adds in some decent drama, romance angles, father/son issues, trying to add "normal everyday people" issues on top of the "global sci-fi threatening" issues.

i'll give it a few more episodes at least, see if it really draws me in, and hopefully does link each story with the next for an on-going narrative. actually, that would be the only thing that would keep me watching. I'm not big into stand alone serials unless it's a 22 minute sitcom about animated families.

ForeverAutumn
09-10-2008, 06:12 AM
I recorded it.

dean_martin
09-10-2008, 06:49 AM
Since I missed the "Lost" boat, I thought I'd get in on the ground floor of this one. Not bad for a tv drama/thriller. I'm not hanging on the edge of my seat, but I'll continue to watch to see how "the pattern" develops.

For those who missed it, the first episode will air again Sunday night, I believe (check me on this).

emaidel
09-10-2008, 07:34 AM
Based on an enthusiastic review in The New YOrk Times on the show, my wife and I watched it last night and enjoyed it thoroughly. If up-coming episodes are as good as the first, it'll be a winner that we'll be sure to watch (or record) each week.

Kam
09-10-2008, 07:53 AM
Since I missed the "Lost" boat, I thought I'd get in on the ground floor of this one. Not bad for a tv drama/thriller. I'm not hanging on the edge of my seat, but I'll continue to watch to see how "the pattern" develops.

For those who missed it, the first episode will air again Sunday night, I believe (check me on this).

yep! re-airs sunday night on fox.

dean_martin
09-23-2008, 06:32 PM
this series has captured my attention. tonight's episode was actually better than the first couple.

HOWEVER, those damn hicks at my local affiliate cut into the last 1 1/2 to 2 minutes with a commercial for their own Friday night high school football coverage just as the episode was about to reveal something about the thingy removed from the DEA agent's hand (and probably revealed a little more about Massive Dynamics' involvement in the "pattern"). Needless to say, I'm a little pissed right now.

Rich-n-Texas
09-23-2008, 06:42 PM
this series has captured my attention. tonight's episode was actually better than the first couple.

HOWEVER, those damn hicks at my local affiliate cut into the last 1 1/2 to 2 minutes with a commercial for their own Friday night high school football coverage just as the episode was about to reveal something about the thingy removed from the DEA agent's hand (and probably revealed a little more about Massive Dynamics' involvement in the "pattern"). Needless to say, I'm a little pissed right now.
Uh oh! Sounds like I missed an episode didn't I? It wasn't a rerun?

I've been following this show since episode 1. Was it on after House tonite? Did I miss a new episode of House too?:cryin:

dean_martin
09-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Uh oh! Sounds like I missed an episode didn't I? It wasn't a rerun?

I've been following this show since episode 1. Was it on after House tonite? Did I miss a new episode of House too?:cryin:

Dang, R-n-T! You missed......Tuesday!

Rich-n-Texas
09-23-2008, 07:38 PM
That doesn't HELP me!!! :cryin:

ForeverAutumn
09-24-2008, 05:40 AM
I recorded the first two weeks but haven't had time to watch them. I missed last night's show. Does anyone know if it's being rerun on a different night? I'm hoping to find some time on the weekend to catch up on some recorded stuff.

Rich-n-Texas
09-24-2008, 06:18 AM
I recorded the first two weeks but haven't had time to watch them. I missed last night's show. Does anyone know if it's being rerun on a different night? I'm hoping to find some time on the weekend to catch up on some recorded stuff.
I just finished watching it on Fox's website FA. http://www.fox.com/index.htm

I'm caught up now, and I have to say this show is the closest to X-Files I've seen so far.

ForeverAutumn
09-24-2008, 07:01 AM
I just finished watching it on Fox's website FA. http://www.fox.com/index.htm

I'm caught up now, and I have to say this show is the closest to X-Files I've seen so far.

Thanks Rich, but there's some kind of copyright bull**** that keeps the US Networks from making shows available to people outside the US. I'll have to see if there's a Canadian network airing the show and check to see if I can watch it from a Canadian web site.

Kam
09-25-2008, 10:25 AM
crap i missed tuesday's episode too. i'll check that fox link and catch up.

Rich-n-Texas
09-25-2008, 10:40 AM
It was a good episode Kam. Want me to tell ya about it? :ihih:

You have to run their player setup on your PC first, but that's seamless, and the picture quality is quite good on my LCD widescreen monitor.

Kam
09-25-2008, 11:40 AM
It was a good episode Kam. Want me to tell ya about it? :ihih:

You have to run their player setup on your PC first, but that's seamless, and the picture quality is quite good on my LCD widescreen monitor.

no spoilers!! :p

ForeverAutumn
09-27-2008, 07:26 AM
Okay, let's make this the official Fringe Discussion Thread. I just watched the Pilot and I suspect that there will lots to discuss as the show progresses.

For instance, did anyone happen to notice the symbols that appeared on the screen before each commercial break? A butterfly. A leaf. A handprint. An apple whose seeds were human embryos. A frog with a Greek letter or symbol on it's back.

At the end of the show, the leaf appeared on the security panel as the dead agent was wheeled into Maximum Dynamic's lab.

I suspect that we'll see more of these symbols.

Oh, and it was nice to see Abaddon in action again. I guess that's how JJ makes sure that his part-time actors are always available. Just employ them elsewhere so that you always know how to reach them when you need them. LOL

Kam
09-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Okay, let's make this the official Fringe Discussion Thread. I just watched the Pilot and I suspect that there will lots to discuss as the show progresses.

For instance, did anyone happen to notice the symbols that appeared on the screen before each commercial break? A butterfly. A leaf. A handprint. An apple whose seeds were human embryos. A frog with a Greek letter or symbol on it's back.

At the end of the show, the leaf appeared on the security panel as the dead agent was wheeled into Maximum Dynamic's lab.

I suspect that we'll see more of these symbols.

Oh, and it was nice to see Abaddon in action again. I guess that's how JJ makes sure that his part-time actors are always available. Just employ them elsewhere so that you always know how to reach them when you need them. LOL

ooo i'll have to come up with a catchy title for the Season 2 thread! :) haha.

and yes i did notice the strange symbols which, i thought, were different at each episodes opening. i didn't catch the repeat of the leaf symbol at the end though! dalmations i knew i'd have to keep my eyes open on a JJ show!

now it'd be really crazy if the Fringe crew have to do any research on a missing flight.... i wonder if the Numbers will pop up in Fringe for a real mindmess.

ForeverAutumn
09-28-2008, 04:52 AM
ooo i'll have to come up with a catchy title for the Season 2 thread! :) haha.

and yes i did notice the strange symbols which, i thought, were different at each episodes opening. i didn't catch the repeat of the leaf symbol at the end though! dalmations i knew i'd have to keep my eyes open on a JJ show!

now it'd be really crazy if the Fringe crew have to do any research on a missing flight.... i wonder if the Numbers will pop up in Fringe for a real mindmess.

I did find it very amusing that the show's pilot opened with a plane crash. :thumbsup:

Rich-n-Texas
09-28-2008, 07:08 AM
Any similarities between "Fringe" and that knucklehead show "Lost" are purely coincidental!!! :mad5: Quit talking about that here else I won't participate in this thread!!!:incazzato:

As I was saying...

This show reminds me so much of "X - Files" ya know? :yesnod:

ForeverAutumn
09-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Any similarities between "Fringe" and that knucklehead show "Lost" are purely coincidental!!! :mad5: Quit talking about that here else I won't participate in this thread!!!:incazzato:

Yeah, so what if both shows have the same creator. That's just a coincidence.

Go rent the Lost DVDs Rich so that you can join us. You know you want to!
:devil:

Rich-n-Texas
09-29-2008, 04:31 AM
The difference between the two shows is that on Lost, the creator has to restrict his creativity so as to make the cheap-ass bean counters at ABC happy. Not so much on Fox, which obviously is the reason Fringe is a MUCH better show.

If there were ever a more hyped TV show than Lost, I'd like to know. This is where ABC, with profit margins ever so prominent in the mindset of the execs, spends its money. And even then they're on the cheap since they're over-advertising the shows on their own network.

Oh and, according to ABC, this is "National Stay at Home week". I wonder... is this a nationally recognized event, or is it just another attempt by a greedy corporation to fool the masses into thinking they're in some way obligated to stay home and watch TV.

BIG :rolleyes:

ForeverAutumn
09-29-2008, 06:38 AM
Oh and, according to ABC, this is "National Stay at Home week". I wonder... is this a nationally recognized event, or is it just another attempt by a greedy corporation to fool the masses into thinking they're in some way obligated to stay home and watch TV.

BIG :rolleyes:

Either way, it sounds good to me. :thumbsup:

Rich-n-Texas
09-29-2008, 07:03 AM
I don't think you're subjected to that restriction in Canada.