Rookie needs help - Matrix 802 Series 3 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rookie needs help - Matrix 802 Series 3

timlovesrita
09-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Hi,
I'm not sure where to post this because it's so general so I'm posting here in the general section. I have a friend that has Matrix 802 Series 3 speakers. He is looking for an amp for them to use with his Yamaha RX-777 stereo receiver. He is totally blind and not into computers, so he asked me to do some research for him. His speaker manual says the amp should have a max of 600w. Does that mean 300w x 2 = 600w, or 600w for each channel (speaker)? It also says "into 8 (with an upside down horseshoe); I think this is ohms? What would you say is a ballpark figure for an amount he should spend for an amp to get the most out of his speakers? Is his receiver good enough to get the most out of these speakers? If not, he is happy to get a new one. Is "Monster cable" good enough to get the most out of these speakers? Does he need a pre-amp? Anyone that can help us please know we appreciate it very much.
Thank you for your time,
Clueless

elapsed
09-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Hi Tim, welcome to AR! You friend has great speakers, but you'll find that they are very demanding in terms of amplication, source and placement. He's going to want to consider some very hefty poweramps from Classé, McIntosh, Krell, Bryston, etc.

Unfortunately the Yamaha won't be sufficient as a pre-amp. Do you have an idea of how much your friend can budget towards a new pre-amp and poweramp? Also, what are his sources (e.g. CD Player, turntable, etc).

Don't worry about the max power handling in the manual. Nominally these speakers will handle 50 - 600 watts @ 8 ohms, but in reality there is really no such thing as too much power. As for cables, you will quickly find that Monster cables are ridiculously overpriced. Most of what you are paying is for brand marketing and enormous markup.

I would start by reading some of these reviews on AR to get a sense of how others on this forum have their 802 systems set up:
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/b-and-w/nautilus-802/PRD_119137_1594crx.aspx

cheers,
elapsed

Rich-n-Texas
09-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Welcome Tim. My sig shows what speakers I have, as well as the 7.1 channel amp I purchased direct from www.Emotiva.com (http://www.Emotiva.com) This amp has solved the power output defiency I was experiencing with my older Yamaha HTR5740 receiver as well as my current one, at the low low price of $500. Elapsed suggests some hefty amps, with the matching price tag, but yes, your friend's budget is the variable here. I might also suggest Audiogon or even e-Bay for previously owned amps if he's so inclined. Good luck to you/your friend.

timlovesrita
09-10-2008, 07:17 AM
Hi,
A big thank you to “elapsed” and to “Rich-in-Texas”. Your responses are appreciated very much. I talked to my friend and he says he'd be willing to go as high as $2500 for what he needs to get the most out of the speakers; that $2500 including a receiver (pre-amp?), an amp, and some great cables to tie it all together. So what I'd need now is the name and model numbers of the 3 things he needs so I can tell him exactly what he should buy. You are all experts and it would take me 6 months or longer to familiarize myself with all my options as well as learn enough to make an educated decision as what to buy. But I don't have that kind of time, so I'm hoping you all out there, with all your obvious vast knowledge and experience already under your belts can just tell me exactly what receiver, (pre-amp?), amp, and cables to tell him to buy. Thanx in advance for this assistance and Arthur (my friend) told me to say thanx from him too. :)
Tim

timlovesrita
09-10-2008, 07:28 AM
I asked B&W these same questions and they just replied saying..."Hello and thank you for your email. I usually recommend using a 200 watt amplifier on the Matrix 802’s. This means that you will want a two channel, 200 watts per channel amplifier. I would recommend Rotel, Classe and Mac"
Not sure if this helps you all pass on better advice, but probably not :)
Just thought I'd add it to the mix for completeness

elapsed
09-10-2008, 09:01 AM
B&W owns Rotel and Classe, so they will always recommend these two brands above all others. I have only auditionned B&W 800 Series with Classe, so I will leave it to the rest of the experts to advise on a more reasonably priced pre/power setup for you friend's speakers

cheers,
elapsed