Do Banana Plugs Really Matter? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Do Banana Plugs Really Matter?

tony340
09-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Hi
I have finally decided to get the Kimber 4 VS speaker cables and PBJ Interconnects.. So now about the banana plugs, the dealer here doesn't have kimber sban banana's in stock, so his alternative is WBT ones which cost around 200 bucks!!!!!!!1 I don't want ti spend so much for banana's, since then it would cost way more than the cables itself.. I was wondering about stuff like, Analysis plus or Vampire Wire? Anyone have more suggestions on this topic?? Thanks so much for all you guys help..

jvc
09-08-2008, 05:24 PM
I like these a lot: http://astore.amazon.com/acousticresearch-20/detail/B00164EYFG/103-3340617-1803859
They use a set screw, so there's no soldering to do. They are a lot cheaper than $200!
All my speaker wires have these........... :)

tony340
09-08-2008, 06:25 PM
would you know how i could get these Acoustic Research banana plugs shipped to Singapore? Amazon don't ship here.. Know of a way? Thanks

tony340
09-08-2008, 07:31 PM
I am looking at some banana plugs from Analysis Plus, the BFA is this good?

jvc
09-08-2008, 07:49 PM
I've never heard of them. But they should be fine. Banana plugs aren't that critical to the HT...

Mr Peabody
09-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Is there a reason you need bananas? Spades would actually give you a better connection to the binding post. Don't the speaker cables come terminated already?

tony340
09-08-2008, 08:37 PM
The Kimber 4 VS don't come terminated.. Actually I'm kind of ignorant about these issues, because the dealer was pushing banana plugs thats why, and they have these at 4 dollars each (Analysis Plus). So if I'm sticking to Banana's which brand is best with the Kimber's? Thanks

Auricauricle
09-09-2008, 05:27 AM
I've had good luck with these....

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=4582

tony340
09-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Thanks i will look into that also... I live in a humid country so banana's are required to stop the corrosion.. The brands readily available here are the Analysis Plus, Furutech, WBT, DH Labs etc, but except for the Analysis plus and DH Labs, the others are very very pricey.... Does anyone know of a reputed online shop that will ship to Singapore? That way i could be open to many American brands, and won't have to spend as much as here..

tony340
09-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Hi fellows.. A lot of people think that leaving the wire ends bare is the best option since this gives the best contact.. The only reason that you would not leave the ends bare is if you are in a humid environment.. Now I live in Singapore and its humid here, But if i used a good metal conditioner such as Pro Gold would it solve the problem of oxydization? Would this be the best bet in terms of sound etc?

tony340
09-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Hey guys.. I'm trying to get the speaker cables one of these days, so wondering what to do regarding the termination? Should i terminate them with banana's or leave the ends bare, cos some think that leaving the ends bare brings in the best in the cables.. I'm hoping that someone can advice me on how to set about keeping the ends bare, what i mean is, which metal conditioner should i use since i live in a humid environment.. I was thinking of Pro Gold, any suggestions? Or should i just go ahead and terminate them? Thanks

tony340
09-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Hey guys.. I'm trying to get the speaker cables one of these days, so wondering what to do regarding the termination? Should i terminate them with banana's or leave the ends bare, cos some think that leaving the ends bare brings in the best in the cables.. I'm hoping that someone can advice me on how to set about keeping the ends bare, what i mean is, which metal conditioner should i use since i live in a humid environment.. I was thinking of Pro Gold, any suggestions? Or should i just go ahead and terminate them? Thanks

winston
09-21-2008, 06:53 PM
well TONY340.do banana plugs really matter ? i can tell you what i know banana or bare ends, as long as you secured the ends on that binding post your good to go, that said blue jeans cable have locking banana really good built' even before you lock that ring up you have to push or pull very hard to get them babies in or out. also they have a reallly:7: nice cable its called belden #5TOOUP you could save your self a lot of $$$$. hope that helps you out let us know if you try em" good luck.... winston