been satisfied for how long???? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : been satisfied for how long????

Tarheel_
09-05-2008, 07:39 PM
bought my front three speakers 4 years ago....and well...i am impressed with my speakers ever chance i get to listen to them.

Can't imagine any better speakers...

wonder who else is lovin their speakers?

dingus
09-05-2008, 08:45 PM
i feel the same way, what have your got?

i've had mind in the main rig since i bought them, no other component has been in the rotation for as long.

mlsstl
09-06-2008, 05:58 AM
Glad you're happy with your choice (whatever it was - seems somewhat mysterious that no brand or model was mentioned.)

I think the key is finding the speaker that "works" for your style of listening. I've got a pair of Spendor SP1/2E speakers that do just about everything I consider most important.

That said, no speaker - regardless of price - is perfect. So it becomes an issue of matching your sonic priorities with the designer's. For some, volume and dynamics is priority one. While my Spendors play more than loud enough for me, I know others would find them lacking if they need excess of 100 dB as a regular order of business. Others have very deep bass as a must-have. I find my Spendors more than adequate for the music I listen to but others would find them lacking. I find the spatial imaging projected by my Spendors very natural and completely engaging. Some other listeners might prefer an enhanced "Kodachrome" approach while still others could care less about the issue. I happen to revel in the very neutral tonality with acoustic instruments on the SP1/2E while others will prefer a speaker that is more laid back, or has more "punch" and "sizzle" or whatever.

It is kind of like picking out a car. I just love driving sports sedans. Never been real fond of any of the SUVs or "crossovers" I've driven. All of that said, there are times where the extra seating, luggage room, or 4WD would be nice to have. Of course, there are times where it'd be nice to have an old pickup for hauling or a 2 seat convertible for some real "zooming." Most people have to narrow their pick to one car so they need to look for the one that works best for them most of the time.

Same thing with speakers. I have a very good friend with a DJ business. He uses the same speakers for home as he does for work. My speakers would not be a good choice for his work and I wouldn't be happy with his work speakers.

Mr Peabody
09-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Interesting point to bring up. I've been through a few 2channel set ups as well as HT but I have always hung on to my Dyn's. I really don't know how long I've had them. I'm guessing 8 years give or take. At one point a few years back I added the matching center that replaced an Audience center but have had the t2.5's for a long time. They have performed well with Krell, Conrad Johnson, Arcam and Linn. They also handle my wide taste in music. I have not heard the speaker yet to take it's place. Well, some other Dyn's like the Sapphires, so let's add with in my price and amplification.

Now I'm curious, if I can find my receipt I'll have to post back on how long I've had my babies.

jvc
09-06-2008, 10:36 AM
I've been lovin' my Allison front speakers for about 15 yrs. now.
Wish all five of my speakers were Allisons...... :)

filecat13
09-07-2008, 10:01 PM
I've had some of my speakers for 38 years. Problem is I have fifteen or so systems scattered around the house or in various offices. They all sound different. I am pleased with all of them.

filecat13
09-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Just as a point of clarification, if I don't like a set of speakers, they're usually gone within a few weeks.