New Oppo BR player! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Oppo BR player!

blackraven
09-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Oppo is coming out with a BR player called the BDP S83 BD. Its been shown at Cedia. I saw a pic of it on the AVS forum. There's no info on it yet that I know of. I hope its a true universal player for CD, SACD, DVD and BR.

blackraven
09-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Here's a picture of it and some info!

http://gizmodo.com/5046217/oppo-bdp+s83-blu+ray-player-may-be-first-almost-universal-disc-reader

Looks like this will be on my shopping list this winter. Blu-Ray, DVD and SACD all in one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pixelthis
09-07-2008, 09:17 PM
SO I finally break down and get a Blu player, spend 300 bucks,
and they come out with one that plays SACD???
ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!
HAPPENS EVERY FRIGGIN TIME

filecat13
09-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Yowza! Looks delectable.

Now lets' see some of those BR music discs and I might bite.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-08-2008, 04:31 PM
This is not the first bluray player that can play SACD. That would go to the 20 and 60GB PS3 which does a miraculous job of doing it.

bobsticks
09-08-2008, 04:48 PM
This is not the first bluray player that can play SACD. That would go to the 20 and 60GB PS3 which does a miraculous job of doing it.

yup, yup

Worf101
09-09-2008, 04:11 AM
I'm so happy with my up-converting Oppo, if I ever decide to go B-Ray, they're probably the company I'll choose. But I'm not there yet.

Da Worfster

pixelthis
09-09-2008, 11:37 PM
yup, yup

BUT does it have multichannel outs"
I thought so:1:

09-10-2008, 03:32 PM
BUT does it have multichannel outs"
I thought so:1:

Multichannel outs are for folks that haven't updated their receivers. Besides, HDMI is a much better carrier of audio and video than analog cable. It is less prone to the kind of interference that can easily affect analog cables.

pixelthis
09-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Multichannel outs are for folks that haven't updated their receivers. Besides, HDMI is a much better carrier of audio and video than analog cable. It is less prone to the kind of interference that can easily affect analog cables.

Cant see the forest for the trees, as usual.
Multichannel outs are a minor compromise for those who dont want to throw out an expensive receiver for a relativly minor improvement.
I am not going to toss a 1200$ receiver so I can buy a 400$ POS
with cheap amps just so I can get HDMI switching and decoding of a few new formats, screw that.
My receiver is only 3 & 1/2 to 4 years old, and the audio side is near audiophile, and it has ethernet, 12 volt triggers, AND a Phono stage.
I guess you can throw out good gear every few years, as you have no life, I have such a upgrade list that a new receiver is way down the list:1:

nightflier
09-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Another factor for me is how fast it will load disks (always an issue with universal players). I'll admit, I've been waiting for somebody, anybody, to come out with a BR player that plays SACDs and has analog outs (sorry, but HDMI will require not just a new pre/pro but a new TV too, and I don't have the coin for that right now). I had been thinking about having my SACD player as a separate unit and then go with a Panasonic BR player, but that's also not inexpensive.

Let's see how fast this guy loads disks and how it sounds. Oppo hasn't been known for great sound, so let's wait and see.

blackraven
09-12-2008, 04:55 PM
my sony BRP takes about 40sec to turn on and about the same to load.
I'm going to buy the Oppo when it comes out, hopefully it will be faster.

nightflier
09-15-2008, 02:14 PM
I read that the Pioneer BR player, the BDP-51FD, loads disks pretty fast and has a solid list of features, albeit at $500-ish.

09-19-2008, 05:58 PM
Cant see the forest for the trees, as usual.
Multichannel outs are a minor compromise for those who dont want to throw out an expensive receiver for a relativly minor improvement.
I am not going to toss a 1200$ receiver so I can buy a 400$ POS
with cheap amps just so I can get HDMI switching and decoding of a few new formats, screw that.
My receiver is only 3 & 1/2 to 4 years old, and the audio side is near audiophile, and it has ethernet, 12 volt triggers, AND a Phono stage.
I guess you can throw out good gear every few years, as you have no life, I have such a upgrade list that a new receiver is way down the list:1:

Like I have said time and time again, you are so cheap that you only qualify for the c and the h in cheap. A Onkyo SR-806 could outperform that old azz receiver you currently have, and it is cheaper to boot. Let that dinosaur go and come into the 21st century.

You do not know anything about my life. You do not seem to know much about yours either.

09-19-2008, 06:04 PM
This player is not truely Universal as it does not support DVD-A as of yet. We'll see if it does after it is released.

hifitommy
09-20-2008, 10:29 AM
hows life? happy i hope. i'm just cruisin' along trying to stay out of trouble.

09-21-2008, 11:11 AM
hows life? happy i hope. i'm just cruisin' along trying to stay out of trouble.

Hey hifitommy, long time no see. Life is good, busy and fun right now. I try to stay out of trouble, it don't work! I hope you are doing well, good to see you here again and wish we could see you more often.

hifitommy
09-21-2008, 11:27 AM
but it turns out to be weakly. AR navigation is time consuming (loading) so i have to play solitaire during the waiting time.

i snagged a marantz dv6001 player that gives both sacd and dvda capability. i got some dvdas in the past and recently and they sound pretty good. the beck set showed dvda to be much better than rbcd. i also got a couple of the aix releases and a count basie disc.

the sony ns500v still sounds better on sacd and especially rbcd for some reason. also, i have been buying vinyl at costco (burbank calif) and at circuitcity.com (noticeably cheeeeper than elusive, sounds, and m direct). long ago i got white stripes-elephant there, just looked and that is only on cd there now.

circ gives free shipping w/orders over $24.

i dont know if you live in the LA area, but i do, lots of used vinyl here cheeeeep.

09-21-2008, 12:04 PM
but it turns out to be weakly. AR navigation is time consuming (loading) so i have to play solitaire during the waiting time.

You are right. I have broadband, and its still takes a second or two to load the bloaty advertisements and crap that fills this site.

i snagged a marantz dv6001 player that gives both sacd and dvda capability. i got some dvdas in the past and recently and they sound pretty good. the beck set showed dvda to be much better than rbcd. i also got a couple of the aix releases and a count basie disc.

the sony ns500v still sounds better on sacd and especially rbcd for some reason. also, i have been buying vinyl at costco (burbank calif) and at circuitcity.com (noticeably cheeeeper than elusive, sounds, and m direct). long ago i got white stripes-elephant there, just looked and that is only on cd there now.

circ gives free shipping w/orders over $24.

i dont know if you live in the LA area, but i do, lots of used vinyl here cheeeeep.

I can really appreciate you vinyl lovers love of the wax, it sure can sound good. I guess its too much of a hassle for me. Too many things to tweak and replace, too much care for the discs themselves, and that rice krispies thing it does when dirt and dust get pushed deep into the grooves makes me hungry for breakfast.

I have been listening quite a bit to digital disc through Meitners digital gear. What a ear opening revelation that has been. Ultra expensive stuff though, but it to me is what digital disc should pass through, rather than the stock D/A converters we find in most players. My huge surprise has come from how well the PS3 handles both CD's and SACD's. CD's are upsampled to 24/176.4khz, and there are a variety of dither and noise shaping filters to improve the sound further. SACD's are decimated at 24/176.4khz, far higher than any decimation I have ever heard from a SACD player when converting audio for bass management and delay. I was so surprised at that little multimedia center's performance in my hometheater, that I listen in there more than in my office where the Meitner gear is.

It seems that vinyl is getting cheaper just about everywhere, including up here in the bay area.

pixelthis
09-21-2008, 10:33 PM
Like I have said time and time again, you are so cheap that you only qualify for the c and the h in cheap. A Onkyo SR-806 could outperform that old azz receiver you currently have, and it is cheaper to boot. Let that dinosaur go and come into the 21st century.

You do not know anything about my life. You do not seem to know much about yours either.

I certainly know more about electronics, you old fart.
100 wpc at .08% distortion 20 to 20 khz,
with a decent phono stage, ethernet, pre ins and outs, and numerous
other features that I wont go into here.
Basically its a choice between a four year old Vette or a new moped.
You choose the moped of course.
I am not cheap but I am not into wasting money, either.
I get HD audio through my 5.1 so why throw money away?
Like a lot of what you say, makes no sense whatsoever.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
09-22-2008, 05:00 AM
Mopeds are DEAD.

pixelthis
09-22-2008, 11:44 PM
Mopeds are DEAD.

Not to mention the people riding them, usually:1: