Step Down Transformer Puzzle.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Step Down Transformer Puzzle..

PlanetZany
09-01-2008, 11:04 PM
Hi all,
At the risk of sounding a complete clod, I thought I would enlist the help of anyone knowledgeable in these forums in the subject of step down transformers. I was thinking of buying a Marantz 2270 from a USA dealer. I'd be so grateful if anyone here might give me a guideline as to which step up transformer I would need to buy to enable me to use it in the UK? The only other transformer available to buy is the second one below, which doesn't give ampage.
I may also wish to run more than one Marantz receiver. I have no idea of the ampage or wattage though!
1500 watts 12.5 Amps
2000 watts 16.6 Amps
3000 watts 25 Amps
500 watts

So grateful for any help anyone can give here.
From a very "novice" novice!

pixelthis
09-01-2008, 11:18 PM
What are the UK voltage and current requirements for those of us who
have never been involved in that kind of thing?
I will tell you this, the whole enterprize is probably too much trouble,
why anyone would want to do this is beyond me.
Some receivers have a voltage switch on the back, dont know about the Marantz.
Anyway if you have to step down voltage and amps there is going to be
excess heat, if you have to step up you might have to trade one for another, and the math might not come out right.
FOR INSTANCE A car battery only has 12 volts, but around 600 amps
an inverter can "trade" some of those amps and give you 120 vac,
with 60 amps, and you can watch the telly in your hyndai, which in todays economy can come in handy.
There is a transformer that will "fit" but I REALLY cant see why anyone would do this, seems like a lot of trouble and expense, and if anything goes wrong all you'll get is a really expensive fireworks show:1:

PlanetZany
09-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Thanks for that. I know what you're saying. It is a hassle but a vintage piece of equipment my father once had and, well, it's a sentimental thing..

I think it's something about dividing the wattage by the voltage and the bigger the amperage, the better.

But yeah, it might be a case of getting a new roof if it doesn't work out..

mlsstl
09-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Find the power consumption of the Marantz. There should be a label on the back of the receiver that shows how much power it uses (this number will include running the amp, preamp, tuner, lights, etc.) I'd think it unlikely that the total power consumption is much past 300 or 400 watts if the Marantz is 70 watts a channel, for example.

Get a power converter that rated 25% or more than what you need.

pixelthis
09-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Well, if its a sentimental thing, why didnt you say so!
Take it to a shop, a good one, explain what you need, they will be able
to replace the stepdown transformer with one that will accept the voltage you have and step it down (or up) to what the Marantz eats.
IT WILL cost a bit, but sentiment is the most costly thing in the world.
or you could have this guy come to your house:1: