Listening Space update [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Listening Space update

thekid
08-30-2008, 04:07 AM
Thought I'd add to my post count and add this pics of my current set-up....... :16:

Feanor
08-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Thought I'd add to my post count and add this pics of my current set-up....... :16:

Thanks, kid. Are those the Optimus 5s or the EPI 100s we're seeing -- or both?

I love the big mean ol' Sansui. That would be early 80's, right?

thekid
08-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks, kid. Are those the Optimus 5s or the EPI 100s we're seeing -- or both?

I love the big mean ol' Sansui. That would be early 80's, right?

Thanks for noticing Feanor!

You are right about the Optimus 5's but the other pair are Marantz Imperial 5G's. The Sansui is powering the Imperials which are a fairly uncommon speaker.

You are right on the Sansui, it was made from 80-82 with a MSRP of $800. Mine was made in 81. Nice sound-very powerful and has a good tuner. The EPI's are awaiting a quick refoam, after which i will decide if they go up to my bedroom system or repalce either the Optimus or Imperials in my downstairs 2-channel.

bobsticks
09-01-2008, 10:33 AM
That Sansui is a nice unit.

Stuff like that always makes me want to build a vintage system...just need another viable room. Maybe the kitchen.

Speaker placement, eh? You ever get to pull them puppies out into the room? It might help imaging...then again mebbe not. Don't know anything about the particulars on those particulars.

Overall, looks to be a very comfortable room.

kelsci
09-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Hi Kid; I remember the 5Gs. If I am correct, it is a two way 8 inch speaaker with a port. They did produce rather good sound. In 1974, I auditioned the 4g,5g,6g and I think the 7g three way 8 inch speaker system. At that time the store had a line of Pioneer and Marantz receivers. Forget about Pioneer receivers in 1974 for their sound quality; Pioneer did not get their great sound quality till later on. Their recievers at that time sounded like mush and could not push any of the Marantz line the day I autiioned the speakers. Such was not the case with the Marantz receivers. Of the 4 models, I choose the 6G two way ported 10 inch which IMHO delived the most bang for the buck at that time which ran $174 for the pair. My second choice would have been the 5Gs.

thekid
09-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Hi Kid; I remember the 5Gs. If I am correct, it is a two way 8 inch speaaker with a port. They did produce rather good sound. In 1974, I auditioned the 4g,5g,6g and I think the 7g three way 8 inch speaker system. At that time the store had a line of Pioneer and Marantz receivers. Forget about Pioneer receivers in 1974 for their sound quality; Pioneer did not get their great sound quality till later on. Their recievers at that time sounded like mush and could not push any of the Marantz line the day I autiioned the speakers. Such was not the case with the Marantz receivers. Of the 4 models, I choose the 6G two way ported 10 inch which IMHO delived the most bang for the buck at that time which ran $174 for the pair. My second choice would have been the 5Gs.

Thanks for the back story. You nailed it on the 5G, it is a ported two way. These have the original blue woofer that was somewhat unique to Marantz from what I hear and from what I have been told a CMS tweeter. I did hook these Marantz up to a Pioneer 9000 which dates from 1970 and it sounded okay. Once I get the EPI's and Genesis I's re-foamed there will be a whole lot of A/B going on to see which speakers stay downstairs. My wife likes the wood cabinets on the wood floors which is the only way I could get her to agree to having two sets of speakers in the living room..... :wink5:

pixelthis
09-01-2008, 11:29 PM
I had two pairs of Optimus speakers, they were a very underrated speaker.
In the early eighties I got a yamaha receiver and a pair of GENESIS
speakers as part of a "system" deal.
Loved those, but the rubber was gone outta em in a decade or so.
AND THEY STILL SOUNDED OKAY.
Buying older equipment is a great way to have a quality stereo,
in some respects older gear is better than todays, in todays dollars
that Sansui would cost around two grand, for two channels.
AMPERAGE back then was for real.
Anyway that is a nice setup you have, not sure about the Kenwood stuff tho, but I LOVE THE REST:1:

thekid
09-02-2008, 01:36 AM
Thanks-Pix
Mr Peabody got me started down the road on the Kenwood Basic gear after I picked up a C-1 at the local SA. While I do not have the widest range of experience with 2-channel gear I think the Kenwood Basic series is pretty good and somewhat underrated though you would not neccessarily know it by what it often sells for on E-Bay. The M1D/C2 combo I am using is from the 80's while the speakers are from the 70's so I guess to make it a true vintage system I need to go back further for my amp/pre-amp. When I get it all cleaned up I may move the Sansui upstairs and go with the Pioneer SX-9000 to power one set so I have a complete 70's based system.

Worf101
09-02-2008, 05:09 AM
Wish I had even that much room for a dedicated 2 channel listening space. Ahm jealous:mad5: LOL
Great taste in vintage gear and you already know what I think of your choices in speakers.

Nice...

Da Worfster

thekid
02-16-2009, 04:54 PM
There has been some more changes so I thought I'd update this post yet again.

This set up is now more about gear of an era more than pure SQ. With the exception of DAC and Denon CDP everything in this set-up is 60's-70's era gear that I have been picking up here and there. I will probably be rotating other speakers through this set-up but I just liked the idea of matching for example a Realistic STA-52 with a pair of Minimus 7's or using the XAM's as a working speaker stand for the KLH-17's.

In these photos

Kenwood TK-250U Amp
Sansui AU-505 Amp
Kenwood KR-3600 Reciever
Realistic STA-52 Reciever
Kenwood KT-7500 Tuner
Denon DCD-1500
MSB DAC

Optimus 5 speakers
Minimus 7 speakers
KLH-17 speakers
XAM 3D speakers

Don't worry Worf- the Genesis/EPI combo is only on hiatus until I another area of the house ready for them....... :D

My wife has pretty much given up at this point in discussing my gear....... :22:

thekid
07-02-2009, 06:11 PM
And yet another update with some of the latest gear obtained........... :2:

Feanor
07-02-2009, 07:03 PM
And yet another update with some of the latest gear obtained........... :2:

Nice going. Some changes, eh? You've got a Marantz receiver from the early '70s, maybe a 2230. And Luxman receiver from the late '70s, maybe an R-1050?

thekid
07-03-2009, 01:51 AM
Nice going. Some changes, eh? You've got a Marantz receiver from the early '70s, maybe a 2230. And Luxman receiver from the late '70s, maybe an R-1050?

Feanor

Thanks for noticing, you almost nailed it.

The Marantz is a 2245. (See post in Vintage Gear) and the Luxman is indeed a R-1050. The Marantz is powering the KLH-5's, The Sansui AU-505/TU 517 combo runs the Large Advents and the Luxman is the source for the KLH-17's. I use a switch box to connect all of them to my MSB DAC using a Sony DVD player as the transport. The Nakamichi tape deck is run off of the Sansui and I am probably going to run either a Dual 1019 or 625 as the TT.

The 17's are in a spot where I can easily rotate some of the other speakers that I like but do not have room for in this set-up such as the Genesis I's and 10's, Optimus 5's and EPI 100's. Once I move my daughter up to college I am renovating the garage a bit in order to have yet another listening area for music. It kills me to have gear just lying around but I past the saturation point a long time ago.

I really do think though that with the addition of the Marantz and Luxman recievers plus the speakers I have picked up in the last year that I have a pretty good vintage mid-fi set-up. I won't stop looking for the occasional great deal such as the $9 Wharfedale 60E's I got the other day but otherwise I think I am done.

I have said it in several other posts but I really do appreciate the help of AR members, especially the regulars such as yourself, who have helped me throughout these last couple of years as I have got back into music.

thekid
09-06-2009, 06:17 AM
Thought I'd add some pics with the new KLH's in place.
High WAF with the "matching" grills......

pixelthis
09-06-2009, 08:30 AM

Dont know how any wife could put up with eight speakers!
If the rest of the wives find out she'll be banned.
But they do look good, I HAVE ALWAYS thought that the "advent" look was better than anything out there today, the design studios took a bad turn somewhere.:1:

thekid
09-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Pix

I read your post to my wife and she just laughed.

She does put up alot with my addiction but when she rolls her eyes at the next piece of gear coming in I remind her it is pretty much the only thing I get to do these days outside of work.

E-Stat
09-06-2009, 03:16 PM
While I understand practical matters of WAF and placement, have you ever been able to place the speakers ideally - i.e. splitting the thirds of the room width away from the walls, both side and back? It is only really then that you can fully exploit what your speakers are capable of doing.

rw

thekid
09-06-2009, 03:35 PM
E

I have been able to bring them out on occasion and you are right that it makes a difference in the SQ. Unfortunately I have had to make compromises with the missus just to get this gear into the room they are in. On the plus side my seating area is only about 8ft from the the "wall of speakers" so I think that lessens the negatives a bit since this almost a near field type of situation. I know having the right side basically in the corner is probably adding bass and in general the left and right speakers are too close to each other. I have thought about taking the main console and putting it in the corner and then have the speakers on either side but this might create to severe a "toe-in" situation. There are only 2 long walls in the room; the first has a double window and blocking it in anyway has already met resistance. the other wall faces the front door and I have been told that "no way the first thing people see when they come in our house is a bunch of speakers"..... :)

JoeE SP9
09-06-2009, 03:41 PM
I would add to that stands. Just about any "bookshelf" speaker will sound better on stands. A cinder block or two will be a good demo. If you decide to keep them around wrap plastic trash bags around them. It really improves the looks. Get the tweeters at ear height when seated. The sound improvement is worth it.

thekid
09-06-2009, 03:54 PM
I would add to that stands. Just about any "bookshelf" speaker will sound better on stands. A cinder block or two will be a good demo. If you decide to keep them around wrap plastic trash bags around them. It really improves the looks. Get the tweeters at ear height when seated. The sound improvement is worth it.

I have a couple of pairs of nice stands but they angle up slightly and I not sure would allow me to "stack" the other speakers in the manner I have but I might give it a shot and see. I know the 5's would benefit from being off the floor.

The cinder block and trash bag arrangement would never get past the missus plus I am not sure with my wife it would be good for my health to have such objects too close when she gets a little upset at me..... :)

E-Stat
09-06-2009, 04:05 PM
On the plus side my seating area is only about 8ft from the the "wall of speakers" so I think that lessens the negatives a bit since this almost a near field type of situation.
Well, yes and no. Double Advents require more distance for the drivers to blend. And you need to invert the upper pair for best results. :)

I know having the right side basically in the corner is probably adding bass and in general the left and right speakers are too close to each other.
The corner is adding boom, not usable bass.

I have thought about taking the main console and putting it in the corner and then have the speakers on either side but this might create to severe a "toe-in" situation.
"Severe toe in situation"? It would minimize the corner effects and allow you to spread the speakers a bit.

and I have been told that "no way the first thing people see when they come in our house is a bunch of speakers"..... :)
Having all the speakers there at one time is not only an issue for wifey, but compromises sound quality. I would recommend rotating the speaker choices or moving the other sets and one of the receivers to the garage or elsewhere.

I give my double Advents plenty of room to breathe. :)

http://home.cablelynx.com/~rhw/audio/far.jpg

rw

thekid
09-06-2009, 04:18 PM
E

Thanks I might see if I can shift things around a bit and take the corner out of play. Forgive my poor choice of words there but the corner does add boom not bass in this set up. You are right about the inverted stack I need to flip the 33's so that the woofer is at the top.

BTW- Nice garage and garage set-up!

JoeE SP9
09-06-2009, 04:31 PM
E-Stat, that blue thing on the left is blocking one pair of speakers. You should get rid of it. I'd be glad to take it off your hands. I wouldn't charge much for cleaning out your garage.:devil:

thekid
09-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Joe

You would never get near it.

The "killer kitty" would maul you with its sharp nasty teeth as soon as you step in the garage. How else to explain two sets of minty looking OLA's unattended in a open garage...... :D

EYEdROP
09-07-2009, 02:01 AM
Most of the time, people post pictures of their setup with some really nice gear right up against that back wall in the dining room with absolutely no room treatments whatsover. If you wanna know my opionion, it looks aesthetically fine. But performance wise, you might as well be listening to an aiwa. It is some very nice vintage gear though. Those optimus speakers are indeed under-rated.

thekid
09-07-2009, 02:56 AM
Eye

Welcome to AR!
While I am pleased with the sound (a little better than the Aiwa I once owned..... :) ) I am trying to convince the wife that things need to be moved around.

I agree with you on the Optimus series from that era and hated to see the Optimus 5's leave the main line up but the KLH 5's are just a notch better. I have 3 pairs of Optimus series speakers 2's, 5's and 27's. The 2's and 5's are early 70's and are competitive with alot of speakers of the era. The 27's are later but sound surprisingly good and have a unique narrow foot print. I have plans to for a "Realistic Garage" set-up so stay tuned........

thekid
11-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Thought I'd "clean up" my act since getting the Polk's.
But don't worry the vintage gear is getting moved to another room.

poppachubby
11-06-2009, 04:16 AM
But don't worry the vintage gear is getting moved to another room.

Duuuuuuuuuuude! With the wood finish all around it's a class act. Your wife must be thrilled. I have to say kid, it looks way sleeker and "modern". I love it!!

How are you enjoying the Polks? I am searching for some Genesis speaks, they have the passive rads too. Been in touch with this fine gent, an old school audiophile, the best type.

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-Vintage-Genesis-Model-2-Speakers-Price-Reduced-W0QQAdIdZ42369733

Would love your input kid. I think his price is good for the work he's had done and the condition. He says the caps could use some work too but will leave it to the new owner. Notice they are oak veneer, these were very valuable when they first came out vs. the typical vinyl finish.

thekid
11-06-2009, 07:44 AM
Duuuuuuuuuuude! With the wood finish all around it's a class act. Your wife must be thrilled. I have to say kid, it looks way sleeker and "modern". I love it!!

How are you enjoying the Polks? I am searching for some Genesis speaks, they have the passive rads too. Been in touch with this fine gent, an old school audiophile, the best type.

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-Vintage-Genesis-Model-2-Speakers-Price-Reduced-W0QQAdIdZ42369733

Would love your input kid. I think his price is good for the work he's had done and the condition. He says the caps could use some work too but will leave it to the new owner. Notice they are oak veneer, these were very valuable when they first came out vs. the typical vinyl finish.

Poppa

Thanks for your comments. The new set-up does have a higher WAF value than the previous set-up. It was hard choice to break up the vintage rack but the Polks are worth it IMO. I am still working on arranging where/how the older gear is going to be used but at this point it looks like the Marantz 2245 is going to be used in my my vinyl recording set up with a pair of EPI 100's. The SX-850 will be running with a Denon DCD-1500 and the KLH 5's. The Advents are going to go into my son's 2-channel set-up.

As for those Genesis speakers they do look good. I have a pair of Genesis 1's and Genesis 10's and am very happy with both. Unfortunately I fried the tweeters in both pairs. The tweeters are a bit fragile but produce very clear highs without being shrill. Even though mine only had a single 8" woofer they produced good bass so I would think the pair you are looking at should do pretty well since that looks like a 10" woofer. original Genesis speakers had a green foam surround so these have been re-foamed which is a plus if it was done right. Price wise if they still have the original caps in them I'd say he might be a little on the high side. I think $125-$150 might be closer to the mark IMO. You might already be familiar with this site if you Genesis speakers but it might help.

http://www.humanspeakers.com/genesis/gen2.htm

E-Stat
11-06-2009, 08:29 AM

Nice rack, but I'm gonna make some suggestions you might try.

1. Move the CD towers away from the speakers. They are causing diffraction.
2. Put the power amp on the lowest level. One advantage of using a separate preamp and power amp is the ability to get the preamp away from the power amp's transformer. You can also use shorter speaker leads. There will still be plenty of cooling space above.
3. Move the sources to the top level for convenience and the preamp to the mid-deck.

rw

thekid
11-06-2009, 08:59 AM

2. Put the power amp on the lowest level. One advantage of using a separate preamp and power amp is the ability to get the preamp away from the power amp's transformer. You can also use shorter speaker leads. There will still be plenty of cooling space above.
3. Move the sources to the top level for convenience and the preamp to the mid-deck.

rw

E

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I have another shelf I need to put in as soon as I find some shelf pegs. I should be able to put the transport on top followed by the tuner/DAC then the pre and on the bottom put the amp as you suggest.

I currently have all of the units plugged into the pre-amp for ease of use but should I plug them in separately to a power strip?

E-Stat
11-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Thank you very much for your suggestions.
No problemo. There is no best way to arrange stuff, but my suggestion minimizes cable lengths required and maximizes isolation from the amp.

I currently have all of the units plugged into the pre-amp for ease of use but should I plug them in separately to a power strip?
Ideally, you would plug the power amp directly in the wall and everything else into a basic power conditioner like a Furman or Monster that can be had for about $50. The conditioner will improve sound quality a tad by lowering the noise level and filtering RFI and provides protection.

rw

poppachubby
11-06-2009, 09:10 AM

rw

E-Stat, do Genesis 2 speakers make your monkey coffin list? Please check the link I posted for kid and tell me what you think...

E-Stat
11-06-2009, 09:21 AM
E-Stat, do Genesis 2 speakers make your monkey coffin list? Please check the link I posted for kid and tell me what you think...
Design looks nice and simple - which is good. I tend to prefer two ways for their coherence. The passive woofer kicks in low enough and acoustically. My current thinking about ideal monkey coffins reflects the HT setup - two way monitor supplemented by powered and equalized subwoofers. Bi-amping removes low end clipping effects from the mains and separately driven subs allows for best room interaction via multi-band EQ correction.

rw

thekid
11-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Based on E-Stat advice I rearranged some things which actually worked out well since I was able to add my Nakamichi 480 tape deck

poppachubby
11-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Looks awesome kid. I would remove the grills, but that's my taste.

JoeE SP9
11-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Based on E-Stat advice I rearranged some things which actually worked out well since I was able to add my Nakamichi 480 tape deck

That looks very sweet. I would imagine having only 2 speakers there improves the sound. It probably has has a very high WAF the way it looks now. Nak's are the best!!!

thekid
11-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Looks awesome kid. I would remove the grills, but that's my taste.

I keep them on out of fear that someone is going to do something klutzy and put a hole in a cone or dent a dust cap. My mother-in-law does not come by that much anymore but she has knocked over several speakers over the years and last time down my father-in -law even managed to crack off a corner of my marble fire place.....

poppachubby
11-08-2009, 03:58 PM
I keep them on out of fear that someone is going to do something klutzy and put a hole in a cone or dent a dust cap. My mother-in-law does not come by that much anymore but she has knocked over several speakers over the years and last time down my father-in -law even managed to crack off a corner of my marble fire place.....

Hey man, my oldest boy is 3 years old. I hear ya!

thekid
11-08-2009, 04:09 PM
That looks very sweet. I would imagine having only 2 speakers there improves the sound. It probably has has a very high WAF the way it looks now. Nak's are the best!!!

Yeah the WAF factor increased ten-fold after this change. I pretty much have been on honey-do patrol all day as I am back on the road next week. When I came home after running errands I find my wife has the system cranked up with her favorite Little Feat CD. The bass on those Monitors is really impressive.

JoeE SP9
11-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Knocking over speakers and breaking marble, could be they just don't like you.:devil:

Maybe the new look will help. :ihih:

E-Stat
11-09-2009, 06:13 AM
When I came home after running errands I find my wife has the system cranked up with her favorite Little Feat CD. The bass on those Monitors is really impressive.
:)

rw

frenchmon
11-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Pix

I read your post to my wife and she just laughed.

She does put up alot with my addiction but when she rolls her eyes at the next piece of gear coming in I remind her it is pretty much the only thing I get to do these days outside of work.

Man I've used that line so much it don't even work any more. It gets to a point where you don't say anything...just do it.

frenchmon

thekid
11-28-2009, 08:14 PM
Was moving some things around today in the garage.
Not quite as clean as E's set-up but then again neither is the rest of my garage.. :D
Everything seems to work well together and sounds pretty good.

audio amateur
11-29-2009, 03:42 AM
Dude, you have way too many speakers:D

thekid
11-29-2009, 04:10 AM
Dude, you have way too many speakers:D

I know!

What's worse is that I did not take a pic of the other stack that is bigger than that one. The ones in the pic are just those that I want to keep or am currently working on like the 2 pairs of Advents. And of course there are currently 13 other pairs of speakers in use in te house..... :crazy: Plus there is a table of amps and recievers sitting idle as well.

My goal is to match some of the receivers and amps up with the speakers and sell them at pretty close to my cost on CL. I am sure with times being what they are that some people can could use them as inexpensive gifts for X-mas.

audio amateur
11-29-2009, 04:17 AM
I know!
What's worse is that I did not take a pic of the other stack that is bigger than that one.
:yikes:

My goal is to match some of the receivers and amps up with the speakers and sell them at pretty close to my cost on CL. I am sure with times being what they are that some people can could use them as inexpensive gifts for X-mas.
V. good idea!

thekid
12-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Thought I'd update since the KEF's are going to stay in the 2-channel set-up and the Polk CSi3 has replaced the last of the Bose.

manlystanley
12-22-2009, 02:18 PM
http://home.cablelynx.com/~rhw/audio/far.jpg

rw

Good grief E-Stat, you call that a garage? Where's all the junk? Where's the used car parts, oil stains on the floor, broken bicycles, etc, etc? I mean, a garage like that is just screaming for some junk to fill it up....... I could send you some of my stuff if that would help?????? :-)

thekid
01-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Pics of the set-up I use for converting vinyl.
Sansui AU 505/TU 555
Large Advents
Sony LX300USB

thekid
02-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Well my wife has been very patient as I have slowly been stacking up the vinyl in the old dining room. We happened to be near an IKEA last weekend and that had some bookshelves that did the trick nicely. Went ahead and moved everything again and set up a small music room.

poppachubby
02-18-2010, 05:03 AM
I love it. Looks great. Those Ikea cabinets, what's the exact model kid? I'm going to look into those, we have an Ikea down the road from us, about an hour or so. The vinyl looks terrific on them...

thekid
02-18-2010, 03:49 PM
I love it. Looks great. Those Ikea cabinets, what's the exact model kid? I'm going to look into those, we have an Ikea down the road from us, about an hour or so. The vinyl looks terrific on them...

For lack of a better term the model is called EXPEDIT (101-030.88) but there are a couple of variations which are slightly smaller. The nice thing about these is if you wanted to use the top to place gear they are wide enough to accomodate most components. From a practical stand point they are also easy to put together and are solid once the are put together. My only complaint is that the finish is fairly thin and prone to scratching if you are not careful.

02audionoob
02-18-2010, 04:51 PM
I'm a bit of an Expedit guy, too...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2789/4368597547_9700dba3e1.jpg

poppachubby
02-18-2010, 07:36 PM
Guess I'm the only one not on the Expedit train...my wife loves any excuse to go to Ikea.

thekid
05-02-2010, 05:42 AM
At it again........ I keep saying no more then a month or two goes by and........
I decided to put most of the Kenwood SS into one place. Camera is very cheap and does not show the very good condition the gear is in. While all of this gear except the DAC was bought in thrift or on CL I am fortunate that I am only the second owner and the first owner's took very good care of it. I suppose this might have been what a decent mid-fi set up would have looked like circa 1989...... :D At some point I will figure something out with the vintage silver-face gear.

poppachubby
05-02-2010, 05:58 AM
Looks like a control panel from the cockpit of a spacecraft! Awesome. kid, what CDP's have you got in there?

I'm interested in your single drawer style, particularily Sony. I was looking at a CD-670 in mint condition locally. This uses two mono PCM56p's, supposedly a really nice dual conversion that competes with the Philips TDA series.

I guess I'm wondering if you have anything of a similar vintage, and what your thoughts are.

thekid
05-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Looks like a control panel from the cockpit of a spacecraft! Awesome. kid, what CDP's have you got in there?

I'm interested in your single drawer style, particularily Sony. I was looking at a CD-670 in mint condition locally. This uses two mono PCM56p's, supposedly a really nice dual conversion that competes with the Philips TDA series.

I guess I'm wondering if you have anything of a similar vintage, and what your thoughts are.

The Sony is a DVP-NS315 which is only about 7-8 years old that I think I picked up somewhere for about $15. I have never opened it up to see what it has inside though I think it uses dual lasers. I originally just got it to replace a higher end Marantz that I was using as a transport for my MSB Link DAC. I know many people say that the transport does affect the quality of sound from your DAC but at this point I really don't see the investment worth the return to upgrade to a nicer transport. The Sony is quite and plays almost every type of disc that I have thrown in it.

The other CDP in the stack is a Kenwood DP-R3080 which dates from around 96-97. From what I have been able to tell it was a mid-line piece from within the Kenwood line-up at the time. I just finished listening to Jakob Dylan's "Women & Country" on it along with the Kenwood KA-1100SD and the KEF C35's and it was excellent. It is always dicey picking up older CDP's because short term testing does not always reveal laser pick-up problems. So far so good with this one.....

dakatabg
05-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Today I got a picture with all my last upgrades.

http://i44.tinypic.com/1znv9ls.jpg

thekid
05-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Today I got a picture with all my last upgrades.

http://i44.tinypic.com/1znv9ls.jpg

Great pics Dak-wish I had your camera (and a few of those pieces of gear as well.. )
I think you got me beat on the amount of Kenwood gear but it might be close...... :D
Is everything connected to speakers?

dakatabg
05-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Just the Kenwood stuff is connected to speakers. I don't have that many speakers for each unit I have. I even have Kenwood surround receiver but I listen to it only when I am watching movies ( I can't stand listening music on it, the sound is horrible compared with all my other gears but for movies is perfect).

Well I just turned 23 last month so for 23 years old man I think I got some good stuff!

thekid
05-09-2010, 04:10 AM
Picked up a camera for $25 at the thrift so I thought I'd use it to add to this post....... Still does not show the gear in the best light so to speak but for the money spent it fits inot the overall theme of the set-up......... :D

dakatabg
05-09-2010, 07:36 AM
I have a Cannon 10 mega pixels and t takes amazing pictures. I bought it at bestbuy for like 200 something. I am very satisfied with it.

Ajani
05-09-2010, 07:46 AM
Very nice pics!

I have one little question though:

Why do you need so many components in one system?

thekid
05-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Very nice pics!

I have one little question though:

Why do you need so many components in one system?

AJ

Actually there are two systems in there. one for me and one for my wife

My wife's is pretty basic with the KA-1100 SD integrated amp/Kenwood tuner and CDP-multi-disc player and a pair of KEF C35's. Since she was often confused by the buttons on my pre-amp and/or was forgetting to turn off the other components this allows her to listen to music and she only has to turn the amp and the CDP player.

The other set-up is mine and has my Kenwood Basic gear/Nak tape deck etc. along with Polk 10's. If I want to wake up the house in the morning this system does the job....... :biggrin5:

thekid
06-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Had to rearrange things again since getting the Heresy's. Found a home for the EV Leyton's upstairs in the spare bedroom.

atomicAdam
06-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Had to rearrange things again since getting the Heresy's. Found a home for the EV Leyton's upstairs in the spare bedroom.

I'm diggin the blue and brown. Seems like that might be a kick back, puff puff, and chill room.

poppachubby
06-19-2010, 07:09 AM
Yep nice indeed kid. I'm still envious of those EVs. The guy I bought my foam surrounds from had 2 of the biggest ElectroVoice speakers i have ever seen. They weren't as big as LaScala's, but pretty damn close. Each one was parked in a corner of the room. I didn't get the model number, or hear them for that matter. They had beautiful wood finish, just gorgeous. I think they were Centurions, but I'm not sure. I think I will email him.

poppachubby
06-19-2010, 02:37 PM
kid, they are EV Interface D. He says they're the best sounding speaker he has ever heard, and he's heard alot. He sold off his Cornwall's for them.

http://pic5.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1268498659.jpg

thekid
06-19-2010, 05:04 PM
kid, they are EV Interface D. He says they're the best sounding speaker he has ever heard, and he's heard alot. He sold off his Cornwall's for them.

http://pic5.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1268498659.jpg

Wow-they look very impressive.
If he sold off Cornwalls for these then they must be something. I will have to see what drivers those things had in them but it might not be too surprising. From what I understand EV made drivers for Klipsch so there is some family ties there. Somehow I doubt I will come across these on my tours but you never know, I did not expect to find the Leyton's much less pay only $10 for them....... :2:

JoeE SP9
06-19-2010, 05:52 PM
The Interface series and the D's in particular were Electro Voice's assault on the "State Of The Art" in speakers in the middle 70's. They have superb bass extension and can play very loud. They were very well reviewed. I heard a pair of the smaller models and they had bass in the dual sub woofer area.

poppachubby
06-19-2010, 06:03 PM
The Interface series and the D's in particular were Electro Voice's assault on the "State Of The Art" in speakers in the middle 70's. They have superb bass extension and can play very loud. They were very well reviewed. I heard a pair of the smaller models and they had bass in the dual sub woofer area.

I've been readin up on them. I guess they have a plate on the rear which has a warning emblazoned on it. Basically "these speakers can damage your hearing"...awesome.

dakatabg
06-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Here is the new update since today with some of the toys I own:

LEFT SIDE:

Sansui 881 Receiver
Sansui G-7000 Receiver
Sansui 9090DB Receiver

Sansui AU-717 Amplifier
Sansui TU-717 Tuner

Fisher CA-7000 Amplifier
Kenwood KA-7100 Amplifier

RIGHT SIDE:

Kenwood KD-76F Turntable
Kenwood KT-87 Tuner
Kenwood C1 Preamplifier
Kenwood M1 Amplifier
Kenwood GE-1100 Equalizer
Kenwood DP-M98 CD Player

Marantz 2250B
Marantz 2230 ( 2 of them)

Fisher CR-125 Cassette Deck
Fisher FM-660 Tuner
Fisher CA-880 Amplifier

I have more goodies but I can't put all of them on one rack.

Here is a picture:

http://i49.tinypic.com/6qdvu9.jpg

E-Stat
06-21-2010, 02:16 PM
Have you ever tried separating your speaker by more than two feet with nothing in between them?

rw

thekid
06-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Have you ever tried separating your speaker by more than two feet with nothing in between them?

rw

No I guess I have always done it that way out of some sense of balance. Certainly I could put the rack off to the side and widen the space between the speakers. Will probably have to contend with the WAF but it is worth the try.

E-Stat
06-21-2010, 03:00 PM
No I guess I have always done it that way out of some sense of balance.
Have you ever heard a system where the walls disappeared and you were transported to a space with a stage that sounds forty feet wide and deeper still? Such can be downright quite spooky. It requires far more speaker separation (along with some other things). Just for grins, try positioning the speakers on the thirds of the room. Divide the room width by three and place each speaker at the two multiples. You may need a bit of toe in to the listening position. Get rid of everything between the speakers. They only serve to destroy the virtual center image. Also, elevate your speakers off the floor so that you are not listening *down* to them. Such only serves to miniaturize the apparent image size. You might find that your system can deliver a more lifelike presentation if you follow some basic speaker positioning rules. Remember, we are trying to reproduce a very large virtual space!

rw

E-Stat
06-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Here is the new update since today with some of the toys I own:
With what speaker(s) do you use with all those amps/receivers? Curiously, you do not list any speakers in your profile.

rw

Nasir
06-21-2010, 03:15 PM
Well, well,well!! And I thought I was the only one hoarding audio gear!! In fact, I used to joke that when the present day 5.1 and 7.1 systems are replaced by 12.1 home theater systems ( yes, I read that somewhere ) I will have enough amps and speakers, all I will need to buy is a player ( will it still be DVD or Bluray ? ) to upgrade my listening space. Where the hell am I going to sit ?

dakatabg
06-21-2010, 03:17 PM
With what speaker(s) do you use with all those amps/receivers? Curiously, you do not list any speakers in your profile.

rw

I don't even have enough speakers for each receiver/amplifier but I have some speakers home. I have 4 tower Kenwood speakers, 2 Sansui speakers, 2 Cerwin Vega, 2 Fisher and 2 Pioneer but I have them on the other side of the room.

thekid
06-21-2010, 03:31 PM
E

Thanks for the advice! It sounds like you are going to make me cut some more speaker wire..... :D

Seriously is there any sites that you can recommend that diagrams the set-up you describe? I'd like to use it as somewhat of a template after I take some measurements.

Thanks!!

E-Stat
06-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Seriously is there any sites that you can recommend that diagrams the set-up you describe? I'd like to use it as somewhat of a template after I take some measurements.
The Cardas site uses the "golden triangle" method for maximizing imaging and minimizing room modes. You may not be able to set them as far from the back wall as they suggest, but I would recommend that you try. Remember, these are starting points subject to experimentation with your particular room. Good luck!

Room setup (http://www.cardas.com/content.php?area=insights&content_id=26&pagestring=Room+Setup)

rw

E-Stat
06-21-2010, 04:14 PM
I don't even have enough speakers for each receiver/amplifier but I have some speakers home. I have 4 tower Kenwood speakers, 2 Sansui speakers, 2 Cerwin Vega, 2 Fisher and 2 Pioneer but I have them on the other side of the room.
I see. So your room is more of a dealer-showroom-comparison environment than a listening space.

rw

dakatabg
06-21-2010, 04:18 PM
I see. So your room is more of a dealer-showroom-comparison environment than a listening space.

rw

Yeam E-Stat something like that but I have them organized good so it is not that bad.

Everyone who comes to my house, the first thing to say is - WOW.

thekid
06-21-2010, 05:52 PM
E

I like some of the ideas/concepts mentioned on the site you posted. From a practical point of view though it is just not going to be possible. For the most part they advocate putting the speakers close to the middle of the room and this is where the WAF kicks in. However it should be possible to sneak them out there on occasion.

Hyfi
06-22-2010, 03:08 AM
My latest setup. VTI BL series.

I can't get the right speaker away from the side wall but I get a decent soundstage with this spacing.

poppachubby
06-22-2010, 05:08 AM
HyFi....wonderful!!!!! Looks fantastic!!!!!

poppachubby
06-22-2010, 05:11 AM
E

I like some of the ideas/concepts mentioned on the site you posted. From a practical point of view though it is just not going to be possible. For the most part they advocate putting the speakers close to the middle of the room and this is where the WAF kicks in. However it should be possible to sneak them out there on occasion.

With motivation from Livin Da Blues and information from Ralph, I used the rule of thirds with splendid results.

I have always had my gear in between the speakers, this is my compromise.

Keep in mind your seat plays a big role also. It's distance from your speaker config can make or break the results. Overall kid, I think it'll be tough for those EVs to sound bad!!! :yesnod:

dakatabg
06-22-2010, 07:54 AM
Hyfi, very very nice looking room. I love it. What brand are the speakers?

Hyfi
06-22-2010, 08:11 AM
Hyfi, very very nice looking room. I love it. What brand are the speakers?

They are Clearfield Continentals, which were designed and built by Albert Von Schweikert when he worked for Counterpoint.

Below is a thread with pics of the rest of my room and old setup before this past weekend. Halfway down.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=130581&page=390

frenchmon
06-22-2010, 10:27 AM

I can't get the right speaker away from the side wall but I get a decent soundstage with this spacing.

Can't you have the back of the gear facing the wall to the right? Or do you have a wall you can use in that room? But it may require you to change the way you have the rest of the room set up.

Very nice looking audio rack....to me sitting from here.... it looks worth more than you paid for it. I know you have seen it up close, and unless I was to get up close and inspect, I would not know about the issues you raise about it...but never the less Hyfi...it looks really good. I may have to visit that web site to take a look...I may be needing one for my main home theater.

Hyfi
06-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Can't you have the back of the gear facing the wall to the right? Or do you have a wall you can use in that room? But it may require you to change the way you have the rest of the room set up.

Very nice looking audio rack....to me sitting from here.... it looks worth more than you paid for it. I know you have seen it up close, and unless I was to get up close and inspect, I would not know about the issues you raise about it...but never the less Hyfi...it looks really good. I may have to visit that web site to take a look...I may be needing one for my main home theater.

Thanks, if you look at the link above to the AdioKarma post, you will see the rest of the room. I'm sort of tied to this setup due to the sectional Natuzi.

Here is a closer look at the audio side...

frenchmon
06-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Thanks, if you look at the link above to the AdioKarma post, you will see the rest of the room. I'm sort of tied to this setup due to the sectional Natuzi.

Here is a closer look at the audio side...

Man Hyfi...thats awful nice looking stuff. What amp is that on the bottom shelf? And what is that Gold one?

thekid
06-22-2010, 05:33 PM
Yep H that is a nice sey-up you got going there.
Might skip over to AK to check the rest of it out.

Hyfi
06-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Man Hyfi...thats awful nice looking stuff. What amp is that on the bottom shelf? And what is that Gold one?

Counterpoint NPS-400 Hybrid Amp on the bottom and VAC CLA-1 MkII dual mono tube pre in the gold. (one of the reasons I went with the gold caps along with silver frames)

audio amateur
06-23-2010, 02:20 AM

I'm thinking your system (speakers) would be better off if you had it parallel to the rear wall

Hyfi
06-23-2010, 02:54 AM
I'm thinking your system (speakers) would be better off if you had it parallel to the rear wall

I know it's not optimal but my seat and sweet spot is the opposite corner. I just can't set it up any other way, but it still sounds good.

Worf101
06-23-2010, 04:19 AM
Just re-read this entire thread... Man what a long and wonderful 2 year plus odyessy it's been. Thanks for letting me live vicariously through you all.

Worf

AsianAntiques
06-23-2010, 07:33 AM
I ask a question about the Optimus speakers?
Just reply me or visit my site..

Thanks..

bobsticks
06-23-2010, 07:39 AM
I ask a question about the Optimus speakers?
Just reply me or visit my site..

Thanks..

Feel free to ask a question on Optimus speakers on the appropriate sub-forum (i.e. "Speakers"). There are several members that currently use them and more that have experience with them.

I looked at your Site. Your business seems very nice and the website organized well. It did not, however, pertain to audio in any way. Please do not post the link again as it is violation of our advertising policy.

Thank you and welcome.

E-Stat
06-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Actually, a diagonal arrangement can work very well especially in challenged rooms where the room dimensions are even multiples. My only suggestion would be to provide some first reflection point absorption for the right speaker.

rw

Hyfi
06-23-2010, 08:54 AM
Actually, a diagonal arrangement can work very well especially in challenged rooms where the room dimensions are even multiples. My only suggestion would be to provide some first reflection point absorption for the right speaker.

rw

Can you explain that? Did you see the pics from above link of the rest of my room?

Worf101
06-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Feel free to ask a question on Optimus speakers on the appropriate sub-forum (i.e. "Speakers"). There are several members that currently use them and more that have experience with them.

I looked at your Site. Your business seems very nice and the website organized well. It did not, however, pertain to audio in any way. Please do not post the link again as it is violation of our advertising policy.

Thank you and welcome.
As Fang would say on Soupy Sales...

"Ruh Roe!"

Hell there's a new sherrif in town and he used to fly into to the ring on cables.

Worf

E-Stat
06-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Can you explain that?
The diagonal arrangement or addressing the first reflection points?

Did you see the pics from above link of the rest of my room?
Unfortunately, they are only available to AK members.

rw

Hyfi
06-23-2010, 09:19 AM
first reflection points?

Unfortunately, they are only available to AK members.

rw
Here is the opposite corner and sweet spot

E-Stat
06-23-2010, 09:46 AM
Here is the opposite corner and sweet spot
Ok, now I understand. To an extent, your furniture is dictating system placement. My suggestion is to accommodate it - rather than fight it . Instead of attempting to fire the speakers directly down the length of the room, situate the gear and couch more from a front right to back left orientation. That provides a more balanced speaker arrangement and could minimize room bass modes. You would also rotate the rear speakers to reflect that change. And still need some first reflection point absorption for the right front speaker.

I am in no way saying that will automatically be better. On the other hand, I think it is worth a try. What are your room dimensions?

rw

Hyfi
06-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Ok, now I understand. To an extent, your furniture is dictating system placement. My suggestion is to accommodate it - rather than fight it . Instead of attempting to fire the speakers directly down the length of the room, situate the gear and couch more from a front right to back left orientation. That provides a more balanced speaker arrangement and could minimize room bass modes. You would also rotate the rear speakers to reflect that change. And still need some first reflection point absorption for the right front speaker.

I am in no way saying that will automatically be better. On the other hand, I think it is worth a try. What are your room dimensions?

rw

I am stuck with exactly the placement I have now for this room. I think it is 12 x 20 but would have to double check. I don't fire the speakers down, they are on approx 40 degree angle pretty much leaving the corner seat as the center point direction.

Not quite sure what you mean by
"situate the gear and couch more from a front right to back left orientation."

and
"first reflection point absorption for the right front speaker."

E-Stat
06-23-2010, 10:51 AM
I think it is 12 x 20 but would have to double check. I don't fire the speakers down, they are on approx 40 degree angle pretty much leaving the corner seat as the center point direction.
Yet the gear is clearly offset to the right wall and your surrounds are oriented for a centered arrangement.

"first reflection point absorption for the right front speaker."
The image gets confused from reflections by a side wall. You need to place a sound damping panel adjacent to the speaker on the wall to prevent that. That topic and others are covered here. (http://www.realtraps.com/art_room-setup.htm)

Nice system.

rw

Hyfi
06-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Yet the gear is clearly offset to the right wall and your surrounds are oriented for a centered arrangement.

The image gets confused from reflections by a side wall. You need to place a sound damping panel adjacent to the speaker on the wall to prevent that. That topic and others are covered here. (http://www.realtraps.com/art_room-setup.htm)

Nice system.

rw

OK, i get ya now. The rears are only for my half baked HT setup and I am not super critical of that, just enjoy the movies. I do concentrate more on 2 CH reproduction.

So you are suggesting that I place an absorption panel of some sort on the wall next to the right speaker. How High and wide?

And thanks, I do enjoy it a bunch....and thanks for the tips.

E-Stat
06-23-2010, 12:38 PM
So you are suggesting that I place an absorption panel of some sort on the wall next to the right speaker. How High and wide?
Ideally about three or feet tall by about two feet. In the real world, smaller would still be beneficial. Even a thick tapestry would be helpful. There have been a number of threads regarding room treatments. There are also quite a few DIY formulas out there if you are a hands on guy. I even use damping panels out in the garage - largely to address slap echo.

Treating the room is often the last thing an audiophile does while it can have a significant effect on the end result.

rw

Hyfi
06-23-2010, 12:58 PM

rw

Just browsing back over this thread. I realize why now why the corner placement is being questioned.

Behind the left speaker is a double wide open doorway that is the front door foyer and steps to 2nd floor. That is not clear due to the angle of my shot. If I was to straighten it out, I would be blocking more than half the doorway. As it is I am 2 feet into the opening but since it is 6 feet behind the left speaker, the blockage is not noticed when walking through.

frenchmon
06-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Just browsing back over this thread. I realize why now why the corner placement is being questioned.

Behind the left speaker is a double wide open doorway that is the front door foyer and steps to 2nd floor. That is not clear due to the angle of my shot. If I was to straighten it out, I would be blocking more than half the doorway. As it is I am 2 feet into the opening but since it is 6 feet behind the left speaker, the blockage is not noticed when walking through.

Hyfi...not trying to get into your mix...and the missus must have her run of the house...at least that's the way it is in mine and she don't like me messin around with it to much without her say so, so I suspect it is in yours as well. But I can kinda see how it is in your family room through the mirror in that one pic, #104. I can sorta understand your problem with the furniture and your a/v systems placement. But if it where me, I would sweet talk the missus in letting me re-arrange the room for best audio sound. I think your sectional can be re-arranged...looks like the wedge can be removed, furniture re-aranged, and a/v system place back to one of the wall....but hey, I'll stop before I over step more of my welcome into you lovely home. And if you bring that up to the missus...you didn't here that from me.:smilewinkgrin:

Hyfi
06-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Hyfi...not trying to get into your mix...and the missus must have her run of the house...at least that's the way it is in mine and she don't like me messin around with it to much without her say so, so I suspect it is in yours as well. But I can kinda see how it is in your family room through the mirror in that one pic, #104. I can sorta understand your problem with the furniture and your a/v systems placement. But if it where me, I would sweet talk the missus in letting me re-arrange the room for best audio sound. I think your sectional can be re-arranged...looks like the wedge can be removed, furniture re-aranged, and a/v system place back to one of the wall....but hey, I'll stop before I over step more of my welcome into you lovely home. And if you bring that up to the missus...you didn't here that from me.:smilewinkgrin:

LOL, how gently you put that!

First, the reflection in the mirror of #104 is actually right back to where my rack is. The newer shot I posted was before I put the tree back. If you are an AK member, you could see the posted shot of my actual Family Room with the JM Labs and seating.

The room I use for my AV room is actually supposed to be a formal Living Room so right off the bat, I got it made! The seating and furniture arrangement is more me than her anyway. I was the one who had to have the Leather Sectional, and absolutely love it. The current layout is the overall best use of the room for many reasons. I'm fine with it and will suffer through the slight downside of audio playback for now. My next house should have a basement and a real Man Cave will be in order but for now......

Anyway, when most people hear what I have going on, the first reaction is more of a "jaw drop" as opposed to someone telling me that there is a little first point reflection going on.

Not that I have anything real special compared to what is available, it's more that most people listen to crap systems. I have heard on more than a few occasions that my setup was the best stereo someone has ever heard. But, I surely have heard way better systems in other peoples homes and of course, high end showrooms.

Thanks for the input and feedback and no, no offense taken in anyway.

brian

manlystanley
06-24-2010, 11:14 AM

HyFi, Wow! what a setup. I don't know what type of speakers they are but they are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

frenchmon
06-24-2010, 01:04 PM
LOL, how gently you put that!

First, the reflection in the mirror of #104 is actually right back to where my rack is. The newer shot I posted was before I put the tree back. If you are an AK member, you could see the posted shot of my actual Family Room with the JM Labs and seating.

The room I use for my AV room is actually supposed to be a formal Living Room so right off the bat, I got it made! The seating and furniture arrangement is more me than her anyway. I was the one who had to have the Leather Sectional, and absolutely love it. The current layout is the overall best use of the room for many reasons. I'm fine with it and will suffer through the slight downside of audio playback for now. My next house should have a basement and a real Man Cave will be in order but for now......

Anyway, when most people hear what I have going on, the first reaction is more of a "jaw drop" as opposed to someone telling me that there is a little first point reflection going on.

Not that I have anything real special compared to what is available, it's more that most people listen to crap systems. I have heard on more than a few occasions that my setup was the best stereo someone has ever heard. But, I surely have heard way better systems in other peoples homes and of course, high end showrooms.

Thanks for the input and feedback and no, no offense taken in anyway.

brian

And thank you for the grace...and not blasting me.

Cheers

poppachubby
06-25-2010, 09:52 AM
I added a Panasonic 32" Tau, Marantz SR 640, Sony PS2 and Paradigm Model 7se. Strictly 2 channel for gaming and music DVDs. Actually sounds pretty good...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1183/4733641620_125a8fba1a.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1254/4732995337_c1fda93299.jpg

dakatabg
06-25-2010, 10:08 AM
I added a Panasonic 32" Tau, Marantz SR 640, Sony PS2 and Paradigm Model 7se. Strictly 2 channel for gaming and music DVDs. Actually sounds pretty good...

Popa looks great but doesn't it the magnet and the vibrations of the speaker affect your TV monitor?

I had it like that before and my monitor started changing colors and it didn't last for long.

poppachubby
06-25-2010, 10:43 AM
The magnets on the Paradigm are powerful but I backed them out until it wasn't an issue.

thekid
06-25-2010, 11:58 AM

Tres bon!
Looks like a place where I could hang out awhile.

thekid
06-27-2010, 06:46 AM
Well I have decided to create an all sony ES set-up upstairs so things got moved around. Moved the vintage silver face Kenwood downstairs to use as a little mini-system with the KEF's. Seems to have a high WAF.

Moved the LD player inside the wall unit. I had been hesitant to do that because the drawer is so large and sticks out alot when it is open. Moved the Oppo and the cable box in as well. All the remotes work fine through the glass door.

Next set-up is setting up the ES system in the bedroom. A little weary because the Kenwood drove the A-25's so well.

thekid
06-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Moved the last of it.....

poppachubby
06-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Domo Ori Gato Mr Kid-boto. Looks great, but how does it sound overall?

thekid
06-28-2010, 01:43 AM
Domo Ori Gato Mr Kid-boto. Looks great, but how does it sound overall?

Pretty good. I have moved the GA8ES around several times since I picked it up and it has always done well with whatever I matched it up with though you do have to be carefully with some of those soundfields on certain speakers. This receiver has plenty of features that I have not really explored so it will be interesting to see what happens as I become more familiar with it. An interesting feature (at least to me) on some of these ES pieces is that when you change the volume or output with the remote it actually rotates the knob rather than just changing the digital display change. The SACD player I have had for awhile and it is a great performer though a little slow and noisy to load. Have very limited use of the deck but very impressed so far. Very quiet player but seems to produce a very full and detailed sound.

These moves allow me to enjoy the best of both worlds. By moving the Kenwood combo downstairs I get to listen to it every morning as I get ready for work. The 8300 tuner is an awesome performer that often makes you forget you are listening to radio.

thekid
08-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Posted a picture of the new amp in the "New Finds" thread but here is picture of it in its new home. As I mentioned in previous thread I was impressed enough with the Adcom GFP-555 that i started searching for a matching amp. They are common enough on the Bay but the 555's still go for a healthy amount. Managed to combine a weekend getaway with a CL score of GFA-545 II.

Only have about 2 hours of listening with this set-up but I am very happy with the preliminary results. I have heard others talk about systems that allow them to locate the instruments in a recording and have managed to get a sense of this after listening to some Aaron Copland. I do not have the ear or the eloquence of other members here who right about their listening experiences but in a word a would say that this set-up has depth. Previous systems have imaged well and captured the range of sound but I can now actually hear a forground and background in some recordings.

poppachubby
08-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Great stuff kid! Looks awesome too. Can you distance the speakers any further apart? The reason I ask is that this has alot to do with your experience of depth and imaging. If indeed the Adcom is transparent enough to give you greater 3D, 6-8 feet will really allow some more space between the players.

I know what you mean regarding the improvement. You say your ear is not good, but you heard the difference right away. Clearly your ears are in sync with what you're hearing.

What I am wondering is how would you describe the sound? Warm, neutral or cool? I am also interested in your opinions on the phono stage, particularily vs. the Basic.

Oh I see, you're working out from a corner. Interesting. I get some pretty wacky effects with my comp system. The room modes push the stage way out beyond the speakers, it's almost eerie. Well enjoy my man. Will you be sitting on this one, or just having a taste?

Let's see. Sony ES, Kenwood Basic and now Adcom. Next will be Audio Note or Linn perhaps?

thekid
08-02-2010, 04:02 AM
Great stuff kid! Looks awesome too. Can you distance the speakers any further apart? The reason I ask is that this has alot to do with your experience of depth and imaging. If indeed the Adcom is transparent enough to give you greater 3D, 6-8 feet will really allow some more space between the players.

I know what you mean regarding the improvement. You say your ear is not good, but you heard the difference right away. Clearly your ears are in sync with what you're hearing.

What I am wondering is how would you describe the sound? Warm, neutral or cool? I am also interested in your opinions on the phono stage, particularily vs. the Basic.

Oh I see, you're working out from a corner. Interesting. I get some pretty wacky effects with my comp system. The room modes push the stage way out beyond the speakers, it's almost eerie. Well enjoy my man. Will you be sitting on this one, or just having a taste?

Let's see. Sony ES, Kenwood Basic and now Adcom. Next will be Audio Note or Linn perhaps?

I would describe the sound from these pieces as neutral because it does not seem like it is trying change or shape the recorded material into any given direction by emphasizing or adding to highs or lows beyond their presence in the original recording. Given the nature of the bass in the Klipsch some may say that is a problem but IMO a little work with the bass control on the pre-amp solves the issue and brings enough bass to the table when it is needed. I would rather have the tighter bass that this combo gives over sloppier but deeper bass provided by other systems.

I have not given the phono stage a fair trial yet as I am having a variety of problems with my various TT's. I need to bite the bullet and get some new needles for my Duals and this set-up has convinced me to get that done ASAP.

Speaker set-up is somewhat limited by the corner restriction. I am on vacation this week so plan on trying to move some things around that may allow for more separation. The WAF is becoming less of an issue since the Klipsch have been established and the "wall of speakers" has been retired.

My plans are to as you put it "sit on" this for some time to come a promise I have made before but really think I will be able to keep. I still maintain 2 vintage mini set-ups through out the house which scratches my itch in that area. The ES gear has found a permanent home in the MBR in part because of its sound but also because I run everything off of a remote which gives it a distinct advantage over the Basic gear. I will continue to look and keep my eyes open but to find something better in the thrift/budget world I move in will be extremely difficult. The set-up as pictured except for the MSB DAC was purchased second hand for $535 which includes $120 to repair the pre-amp. I actually did pass on a pair of Linn speakers the other day in part because I have too many speakers siitting idle already and reviews of them indicated their sound would be similar to my KEF's but with a much larger footprint. Maybe the owner of them is breaking up a Linn system so you never know.....

poppachubby
08-02-2010, 04:52 AM
Sounds good. I would agree with your sentiment regarding the hierarchy of Adcom. You are now knocking on the door of "the next level". The next step will require more skilled hunting and cash on hand to jump when needed. I can say this because I am there, however almost done.

I will be adding an Ariston RD-11s, and that willl be it...no really it will. From that point I will put cash into maintaining or tweaking my existing set up. Better tubes, carts, etc. I would recommend if you are at a TT crossroads to look at a cart upgrade.

thekid
08-02-2010, 04:59 AM
Sounds good. I would agree with your sentiment regarding the hierarchy of Adcom. You are now knocking on the door of "the next level". The next step will require more skilled hunting and cash on hand to jump when needed. I can say this because I am there, however almost done.

I will be adding an Ariston RD-11s, and that willl be it...no really it will. From that point I will put cash into maintaining or tweaking my existing set up. Better tubes, carts, etc. I would recommend if you are at a TT crossroads to look at a cart upgrade.

I am surfing Needle Doctor right now and need to which Dual I want to use in the system. Most likely going to put the 1019 back in place as it is built like a tank. The 622 has a lower profile and would be cheaper to get running.

poppachubby
08-02-2010, 05:10 AM
I know nothing about Dual, but if you want help with a cart, I am there.

Speaking of Needle Doctor, check the closeout for the Ortofon 530 MKII. This is a nude fine line, a HUGE step up from a typical entry level tip. It specs almost the same as the 2M Bronze, which sells for $350! For $140, the value is thorugh the roof. Perhaps this exceeds your budget, but I would say splurge and you'll be rewrded beyond expectation.

Feanor
08-02-2010, 05:48 AM
Posted a picture of the new amp in the "New Finds" thread but here is picture of it in its new home. As I mentioned in previous thread I was impressed enough with the Adcom GFP-555 that i started searching for a matching amp. They are common enough on the Bay but the 555's still go for a healthy amount. Managed to combine a weekend getaway with a CL score of GFA-545 II.

Kid, with your recommendation I'll be watching eBay, etc., for a good GFP-555 for a back up preamp.

I think the GFA-555 and 555 II are pricey because they're so good! :cornut: I had 555 II for while and really liked it.

thekid
08-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Kid, with your recommendation I'll be watching eBay, etc., for a good GFP-555 for a back up preamp.

I think the GFA-555 and 555 II are pricey because they're so good! :cornut: I had 555 II for while and really liked it.

I do recommend the GFP-555, my Kenwood Basic C2 is close but the 555 just seems to be a bit more solid with better overall build quality. The selector switch seems to be a better option than the push button method used by the C2. Plus the Adcom has a couple of cool features such as 2 separate amp connections depending on the quality of the amp you are using. My guess though is that you paid for those differences back in the day with the Adcom listing for about $500 while I am sure the Kenwood was probably half of that. In the secondary market the price of the two seems close but I got mine for $25 and then sunk another $120 getting the guts restored so I think I am set with a very solid pre-amp for the next couple of years.

thekid
08-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Played around spacing things out a bit.
High WAF

dakatabg
08-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Great set up thekid. I like the pictures you have :)

thekid
08-04-2010, 01:44 AM
Great set up thekid. I like the pictures you have :)

Thanks Dak!

If you are referring to the pictures on the wall, the narrow one is by my favorite artist-my daughter....... :D

The picture is actually what she would call one of her "doodle's". She is an Art major but is majoring in photography. She only draws to kill time or when she is bored. This "doodle" is painted on a piece of wood.

pixelthis
08-04-2010, 10:09 AM
So my question is...
How do you handle switching chores , what with several of everything?
How do you choose? I don't understand how you keep from having burnout, honestly.
Glad you liked the Adcom, they make nice gear, and for serious listeners, separates
are really the way to go, even classic receivers and gear has a hard time measuring up to
a separates setup.:1:

thekid
08-04-2010, 11:53 AM
So my question is...
How do you handle switching chores , what with several of everything?
How do you choose? I don't understand how you keep from having burnout, honestly.
Glad you liked the Adcom, they make nice gear, and for serious listeners, separates
are really the way to go, even classic receivers and gear has a hard time measuring up to
a separates setup.:1:

How do I avoid burnout??? Simple.... I have no life...... :D

Actually I am trying to simplify things a bit and have been selling things off about equal to what I have been picking up. I am in the process of cutting things down to a few systems. At this point the Adcom, Kenwood Basic and Sony ES set-up are staying for the long haul. Vintage wise I am going to hang onto the Pioneer SX-850, Kenwood KA 8100/KT8300 combo and the Sansui AU-505/TU-555 combo. The Luxman and Marantz are most likely going to go with everything else in part because I know they will sell the fastest.

Speaker wise I am going to keep the Klipsch, EV Leyton's, KLH 5's, Dynaco A-25's and probably the Genesis 10's, KEF's and EPI 100's. That is enough speakers for all the 2-channel systems with a few left over to rotate in and out if I get bored. With equipment this old if it fails it will become cost prohibitive at some point to fix it and so eventually I am sure I will be down to a few systems.

By the time everything is too costly to fix or parts are not available gear like Pioneer Elite's, Rotels etc will be filling the thrift store shelves and the whole process will start over again until one day I will suffer the ultimate burnout and one of my great grandkids finds me slumped over a speaker.... connecting wires in hand....... :D

luvtolisten
08-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Keep them coming Kid! (And Dak. Poppa C too!). Variety is the spice of life, and since both you guys have tons of gear, to pick from and compare, I know your opinions are not biased, just honest
A truly enjoyable read!:thumbsup:

dakatabg
08-04-2010, 01:14 PM
If it vintage, in great condition and valuable, I don't sell it. I prefer to keep it. Just wrap it up and put it somewhere. With the time the price is going up and with the time good stuff gets harder and harder to find.

poppachubby
09-01-2010, 10:02 AM
I have decided to add some digital to my listening room. For now, my Magnavox CDB-482 will be buffered by my EICO HF85. It's not the end in transparency, but man oh man it's really sweet.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4085/4948946538_1e22fc8949_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4081/4948951702_1221d5ccbd_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4142/4948948376_1f198942a6_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4077/4948993114_b3d0319515_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4092/4948953506_98cbd3ba70_z.jpg

Of course, what's a system if not kid approved?!?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4125/4948966392_06530ea502_z.jpg

luvtolisten
09-01-2010, 11:19 AM
It looks really sweet too! VERY nice! I was curious, what albums do you have on the wall (nice touch by the way) behind it? What speakers are those? They look familiar.

frenchmon
09-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Pops...I see a Ortofon Black box and Bronz Box. Do you have them?

poppachubby
09-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks L2L. The LPs are all 25cent losers. The 3 in question are Bing Crosby, Glen Campbell and Al Martino. My wife is a banker and one of her customers gave me a free box full.

The speakers are in my sig, 3A Apogee.

poppachubby
09-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Pops...I see a Ortofon Black box and Bronz Box. Do you have them?

I bought the Red when it first came out. I don't know what the box looks like now, but the original box had each stylus on each side of the box. The dealer would then put whichever one you bought and sticker the box accordingly.

Ortofon 2M Black!?! Oh baby I wish!

frenchmon
09-01-2010, 01:03 PM
I bought the Red when it first came out. I don't know what the box looks like now, but the original box had each stylus on each side of the box. The dealer would then put whichever one you bought and sticker the box accordingly.

Ortofon 2M Black!?! Oh baby I wish!

Oh...I see. My box just has the Red.

thekid
09-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Great pics PC things are really coming together in that room.

Love that last pic.
Looks like they are both rocking out-come clean what was playing when you took their pic Barney's Greatest Hits or Mister Roger's Rockin' Hood.....:D

thekid
09-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Thought I 'd engage in my other music hobby today- moving all the stuff..... :)

I will be adding some excercise gear to the garage so went ahead and moved things around again. Mostly the same gear you all have seen before just in a new set-up in the garage.
Needs some tweaking but overall the sound is more than adequate. I can say with confidence I have the best garage set-up in the neighborhood..... :16:

luvtolisten
09-06-2010, 10:10 AM
First of all, Nice garage! Nice setup too.Those speakers on the bottom, are those Polk Monitor 10's?

poppachubby
09-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Holy chit!! Nice...

How is the echo in there kid? Try hanging some carpet on the walls or even rubber mats from your car. Hit up the thrifts for a end roll of carpet.

thekid
09-06-2010, 01:17 PM
First of all, Nice garage! Nice setup too.Those speakers on the bottom, are those Polk Monitor 10's?

LTL- Yes they are chillin in the garage since I got the Heresy's and they too big to go elsewhere....for the moment

How is the echo in there kid? Try hanging some carpet on the walls or even rubber mats from your car. Hit up the thrifts for a end roll of carpet.

Thanks Pops.

There really is no echo in part because what you can't see in the photo is alot of furniture that is in storage so it deadens the space pretty well. Debating whether to use some concrete paint to cover the ugly bare floor or just put in a section of indoor/outdoor carpet. Our one cat used to have a "thing" about that type of carpet but she is not in there that often so it might be worth a try.

poppachubby
09-06-2010, 05:23 PM
LTL- Yes they are chillin in the garage since I got the Heresy's and they too big to go elsewhere....for the moment

Thanks Pops.

There really is no echo in part because what you can't see in the photo is alot of furniture that is in storage so it deadens the space pretty well. Debating whether to use some concrete paint to cover the ugly bare floor or just put in a section of indoor/outdoor carpet. Our one cat used to have a "thing" about that type of carpet but she is not in there that often so it might be worth a try.

Without a doubt carpet. It will look better and help to further the sound cause. Garages can be deadly for slap echo, that awful and distorted type. It would render your gear unlistenable unless at really low volumes, but what would be fun about that?

Life is good when you have stacked Genesis/Polks, and can only find use for them in your garage!!

manlystanley
09-13-2010, 07:16 AM
Pops and Kid: Great looking listening space (and great looking children to!!)

Best Regards,
Stan

thekid
09-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Pops and Kid: Great looking listening space (and great looking children to!!)

Best Regards,
Stan

Thanks Stan!

It will probably change again this weekend as I have a potential buyer coming over to look at some of the gear in this set-up. Still have enough sitting on the sidelines that any holes can be filled....... :D

manlystanley
09-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Thanks Stan!

It will probably change again this weekend as I have a potential buyer coming over to look at some of the gear in this set-up. Still have enough sitting on the sidelines that any holes can be filled....... :D

So, you finance your trips to Hawaii by: selling your equipment that you buy and resell at 'reasonable prices'. :D

Best Regards,
Stan

thekid
09-14-2010, 01:46 PM
So, you finance your trips to Hawaii by: selling your equipment that you buy and resell at 'reasonable prices'. :D

Best Regards,
Stan

Hawaii?? My profit margin might buy me a can of Hawaiian Punch and a bottle of rum which after a few is almost like being there..... :D

Hyfi
09-15-2010, 03:20 AM
Swapped in the Danes a few weeks ago driven by the Stratos.

Picture taken with Canon G11 in Sunset mode.

manlystanley
09-15-2010, 04:37 AM
Hawaii?? My profit margin might buy me a can of Hawaiian Punch and a bottle of rum which after a few is almost like being there..... :D

Yeee Haaa..... Count me in!!!! All I need in addition is a tied died Tee shirt and a steel drum CD...... Can it get any better then this?? :3:

Best Regards,
Stan

manlystanley
09-15-2010, 04:40 AM

Nice looking setup!!! So what's on top of the left speaker?? Is that to improve the sound?? It looks like a rag?? Anyways, I hope it's an audiophile rag?? If not, then I'll need to retract my greenies that I sent you a while back. :D

Best Regards,
Stan

Hyfi
09-15-2010, 04:49 AM
Nice looking setup!!! So what's on top of the left speaker?? Is that to improve the sound?? It looks like a rag?? Anyways, I hope it's an audiophile rag?? If not, then I'll need to retract my greenies that I sent you a while back. :D

Best Regards,
Stan

Thanks Stanley!

Both speakers have a rabbit fur on top just in case anything gets set on them.

They are Audiophile grade furs:3:

thekid
09-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Hyfi

Very nice set-up!
Congrats!!!

Hyfi
09-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Hyfi

Very nice set-up!
Congrats!!!

Thanks!

With 2 amps, 2 pairs of mains, and a pre that does passive, low and high gain it is very changeable in 10 minutes and I love every sound I get.

thekid
11-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Have been streamlining things lately and came up with this arrangement for the study/record room. Can't see it really in the pic but the other side of the desk contains the Sony ES system with the USB turntable I use to rip LP's. This set up allows me to "display" some of the nicer vintage pieces in a manner that makes the wife happy. Other wall contains a couple hundred LP's and LD's.

luvtolisten
11-28-2010, 05:41 PM
Nice:thumbsup:

poppachubby
11-29-2010, 02:11 AM
Looks great. Is that Dynaco functioning? How do you find the quality of ripping from that USB table? Do you use Audacity?

thekid
11-29-2010, 02:59 AM
Looks great. Is that Dynaco functioning? How do you find the quality of ripping from that USB table? Do you use Audacity?

PC

One of the channels is out on the Dynaco. A simple enough fix I am sure for the audio place I take gear to but it is not a priority right now. The unit is in excellent shape otherwise and looks pretty cool IMO. The Harmon-Kardon tube tuner on top does power up but needs re-stringing everything else is in working condition. A happy accident though is that I could not put the Pioneer SX-850 in there so I broke up the Kenwood KA 8100/KT-8300 combo. I now run the KT-8300 through the SX-850 and the sound is awesome. Quiet and very full through all ranges.

I know there are other ways of ripping LP's to your hard drive but this table makes it it just a simple one plug connection. Upgraded the stock Sony cartridge as well for a bit better sound. I am using the software that came with the TT. Don't think it is Audacity but from what I understand it is very similar. Allows you to chose different format and removes all but the most severe pops in the LP. You can take your most worn LP's and turn them into CD quality recordings. Blasphemy I know but it does allow me to pick LP's many vinyl collectors pass up because they know it would give them issues when playing on their regular TT's or would have a limited playing lifespan because of the amount of wear already present. I would not recommend this or really any USB TT for regular listening for several reasons but mostly I don't think their construction lends itself to a long lifespan.

pixelthis
11-29-2010, 02:18 PM

Nice setup. Great lighting, which is very important in any setup.
Congrats.:1:

pixelthis
11-29-2010, 02:19 PM
Have been streamlining things lately and came up with this arrangement for the study/record room. Can't see it really in the pic but the other side of the desk contains the Sony ES system with the USB turntable I use to rip LP's. This set up allows me to "display" some of the nicer vintage pieces in a manner that makes the wife happy. Other wall contains a couple hundred LP's and LD's.

Is that all?
Really nice, but is all of your gear in that rack in service? IS that a tuner on top?:1:

thekid
11-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Is that all?
Really nice, but is all of your gear in that rack in service? IS that a tuner on top?:1:

It is not all the vintage silver-face gear I own. As mentioned in my response to Pc belowI have a Pioneer SX-850/Kenwood KT-8300 combo in the family room and there is a Luxman R-1050 in a spare bedroom. People can debate the SQ of vintage gear but from a style stand point I think even some of the lowest level gear has a certain style to it that I appreciate.

You are correct that it is a tuner on top. It is a Harmon-Kardon A-200 tube tuner that dates back to the early 60's IIRC. It powers it up but needs some work but it cost me next to nothing and I really bought as a decoration rather than a functioning unit. The Dynaco below that has a scratchy channel which is beyond just a generally Deoxit treatment. Have enough other SS amps so it is a future project.

The next shelf is a Sansui AU-505 integrated amp and TU-555 "roundie" tuner. It is currently driving those small Klipsch speakers sitting on the desk. It is good for listening to music w/o waking the rest of the house. (I get up around 4:30 AM every morning-my teenage son does not... ) Next is the Marantz 2245 and lastly a mint condition Kenwood KA-8100 integrated amp.

The Sony ES system is also there driving my Klipsch Heresy I's but I can now switch that out with the Sansui or Marantz whenever I want to change things up.

poppachubby
11-30-2010, 03:08 AM
Cool. If you are happy with the end result of the USB rips than that's all that matters. I asked because lately I have been really concerned with ripping. Been ripping like a mad man.

Not sure if you can with that table, but you should check out Audacity. Sounds like your program is definitely similar, but Audacity has great tagging ability.

frahengeo
11-30-2010, 09:06 AM

Nice effect, nice setup! What are the components below the Rotel? The H15 Protector looks right at home. I bought the silver version, but doesn't look as good since all my components are black.

Oops. I just came across the answer to the question

Counterpoint NPS-400 Hybrid Amp on the bottom and VAC CLA-1 MkII dual mono tube pre in the gold. (one of the reasons I went with the gold caps along with silver frames)

frahengeo
11-30-2010, 09:09 AM

Gotta love the vintage gear! Looks great. Do you have a pic of the ES system. I love the ES stuff from the 80s and 90s.

Both you and Hyfi are fortunate to have such supportive partners. My wife hates my toys and calls 'em "black boxes", plus with two boys running around I had to build a media room to store and protect my gear.

Hyfi
11-30-2010, 09:17 AM
Nice effect, nice setup! What are the components below the Rotel? The H15 Protector looks right at home. I bought the silver version, but doesn't look as good since all my components are black.

Thank you!

Below the Rotel CDP is

VAC CLA 1 MKII dual mono tube pre amp
below that is my Odyssey Stratos Amp that gets swapped in and out with
Counterpoint NPS-400

The little box sitting on the Counterpoint is a real old Realistic (Rat Shack) Audio Video switchbox which I use to switch my sub back and forth between the VAV and the HK Receiver for movies.

Lower left is an Onkyo Integra Cassette Deck (from when they were not separate companies) Above that is a VHS that still records my wife's soap daily.

The bottom middle slot has recently been filled with a Rotel 1050 that now drives my Family Room and outdoor speakers also providing me with 3 zone capability.

The H15 is a great unit. I do wish I splurged a bit more for one of the Furman unite with front outlen and a few "always on" outlets. It did make a sound improvement when it replaced the old Panamax 1000+.

Hyfi
11-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Nice setup. Great lighting, which is very important in any setup.
Congrats.:1:

That was more the camera's sunset mode than reality. All I have is two small can lights that point upwards behind everything just for ambiance. It doesn't help in the front.

frahengeo
11-30-2010, 09:43 AM
The H15 is a great unit. I do wish I splurged a bit more for one of the Furman unite with front outlen and a few "always on" outlets. It did make a sound improvement when it replaced the old Panamax 1000+.

Why not leave the H15 "on" continuously? That would take care of the "always on" issue.

Hyfi
11-30-2010, 10:16 AM
Why not leave the H15 "on" continuously? That would take care of the "always on" issue.

Because I use it to control the on-off of all components but wanted to leave the Stratos on at all times and still be protected. I cannot afford to leave everything powered up all the time, nor do I want to waste the precious resources that will be gone someday by careless people who don't care about anything but today and themselves.

frahengeo
11-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Because I use it to control the on-off of all components but wanted to leave the Stratos on at all times and still be protected. I cannot afford to leave everything powered up all the time, nor do I want to waste the precious resources that will be gone someday by careless people who don't care about anything but today and themselves.

I see. So you want to be able to power on the H15 and have everything turn on at the same time (i.e. power button on each component is always on). I have a slightly different style. My H15 is left on all the time, and I turn on only the components that I need. Whatever. To each their own.

Hyfi
11-30-2010, 11:53 AM
I see. So you want to be able to power on the H15 and have everything turn on at the same time (i.e. power button on each component is always on). I have a slightly different style. My H15 is left on all the time, and I turn on only the components that I need. Whatever. To each their own.

Yeah, that works for us guys but the Mrs has enough trouble with my convoluted setup let alone trying to figure out which components to turn on.

I would do it your way if it was just me.

frahengeo
11-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Yeah, that works for us guys but the Mrs has enough trouble with my convoluted setup let alone trying to figure out which components to turn on.

I would do it your way if it was just me.
Of course. Didn't even consider that, but you're right. Mine stays away from the HT system in our basement. Apparently, too complicated to want to learn. She just uses the TV/DVR in the family room.

thekid
11-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Gotta love the vintage gear! Looks great. Do you have a pic of the ES system. I love the ES stuff from the 80s and 90s.

Both you and Hyfi are fortunate to have such supportive partners. My wife hates my toys and calls 'em "black boxes", plus with two boys running around I had to build a media room to store and protect my gear.

Frahengo

Since you asked.......
Here is a pic of the ES system as well as the other side of the room where the vinyl and some of my LD collection is stored. As you can see from the China cabinet in the middle of the vinyl compromises were made.... :D. Overall though you are right that I am lucky to have a wife that puts up with my addiction. However I have so little other free time it is about the only thing I can indulge in.

BTW the Sony ES system consists of;

Cassette Deck- RX79ES
CD Player- CDP-C77ES
Reciever- GA8ES w/remote

frahengeo
12-01-2010, 07:28 AM
Frahengo

BTW the Sony ES system consists of;

Cassette Deck- RX79ES
CD Player- CDP-C77ES
Reciever- GA8ES w/remote

Nice vinyl collection! IMO, definitely adds a little class to the living room. My wife would never let me have it though...

I've always loved the wood side panels on the ES gear (your CDP). Sony made some of their best stuff in those days. Something died in Sony, as a company, when their founder passed away in the late 90s.

I have a few ES CDPs myself, but dread the day when the laser goes.

Thanks for sharing.

thekid
02-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Had to do a little bargaining with the wife since I will to lay out some cash. She was not a big fan of how the Heresy's went with the rest of the living room decor so she said I can get the tube amp up and running if she could select another pair of speakers for the living room other than the Heresy's. I did not object too much since once I get the tube amp going I was going to probably have to move the Heresy's anyway or change the set up to accomodate the tube amp. So what would she choose.... vintage Electro-Voice?? KLH?? Dynaco??- No her choice was "the tall ones"..... :D

So no problem there as the Time Windows are one of my favorites and are great fit with the Adcom set-up.

thekid
02-18-2011, 06:59 PM
I know -I know every time I say this is the last time I am moving stuff it lasts about a month. But I was able to find this little entertainment center today and it works perfectly in my second listening room. Very Very High WAF and I am happy with being able to use the KEF's again. The sony ES gear with the wood sides matches perfectly with the furniture. The black grills of the KEF's matches the TF-600's. My wife likes the Abbey Road pic in the back as well.

Styx
04-19-2011, 05:33 AM
My humble getaway.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o73/BigT12045/P1100989.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o73/BigT12045/P1090511.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o73/BigT12045/P1090513.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o73/BigT12045/P1100943.jpg

Hyfi
04-19-2011, 06:13 AM
^^^
Very nice! Are your speakers rear ported? Can you move them out from the windows any? I'd bet the windows with no treatment is sucking some of you bass out of the room.

SlumpBuster
04-19-2011, 08:07 AM
Nice job Styx. Too many vintage systems are a ramshackle mess. Good posters too. That makes me miss my dedicated listening space. I had the coolest posters.

Styx
04-19-2011, 08:26 AM
^^^
Very nice! Are your speakers rear ported? Can you move them out from the windows any? I'd bet the windows with no treatment is sucking some of you bass out of the room.

Yes, they're rear ported. The room is small 10X11, so placement is limited but they sound great, bass is nice and full....I'm a happy camper.:ihih:

Styx
04-19-2011, 08:35 AM
Nice job Styx. Too many vintage systems are a ramshackle mess. Good posters too. That makes me miss my dedicated listening space. I had the coolest posters.

Thanks. It's not the greatest room for music (better than not having one) but works well for me.

Some before pics.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o73/BigT12045/P1090186.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o73/BigT12045/P1090501.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o73/BigT12045/P1090500.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o73/BigT12045/P1090499.jpg

E-Stat
04-19-2011, 10:41 AM
My humble getaway.
Looks nice. My two cents worth of recommendations: invert the upper pair of stacked speakers to make more of a M-T-M array. Putting the tweeters closer together will reduce comb filtering.

rw

bobsticks
04-19-2011, 12:25 PM
I definitely like the look of the "after" pictures...a very nice, peaceful listening spot. Good work.

TheHills44060
04-20-2011, 05:26 AM
I definitely like the look of the "after" pictures...a very nice, peaceful listening spot. Good work.
Exactly what i was thinking. Looks like a really cozy space.

pixelthis
04-20-2011, 12:47 PM
VERY NICE.
The company that starts selling receivers that look like that again is going to make a ton.
WHEN did they forget that the style of the thing is important to the human operators?
Not to detract from your fine system, but its so much easier to have a nice system
with nice looking gear. We lost that down the road somewhere.:1:

Styx
04-20-2011, 01:18 PM
VERY NICE.
The company that starts selling receivers that look like that again is going to make a ton.
WHEN did they forget that the style of the thing is important to the human operators?
Not to detract from your fine system, but its so much easier to have a nice system
with nice looking gear. We lost that down the road somewhere.:1:

Thanks. I agree with you completely.

pixelthis
04-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks. I agree with you completely.

I also want to thank you for showing your great listening space. Circumstances
limit my options at present. MAYBE its time for me to go "back to the future"
and consider some vintage.THANKS:1: