Is there any standalone device that can play IFOs, VOBs, BlueRay ripped from a HD? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is there any standalone device that can play IFOs, VOBs, BlueRay ripped from a HD?

pwangdel
08-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Greetings:

I would like to backup all my DVDs and BlueRay collection onto several HD. Is there any standalone device that:
- Can hook directly into either my Denon AVR-4806 or Plasma TV TH-50PX77U HDMI port.
- Has DTS support
- Has a swappable or interchangeable HD (500GB and beyond) capability.
- Allows to play the IFOs, VOBs and eventually BlueRay ripped format if needs be.

Thanks in advance for your time and help
KLIPSCH RSW-12 Sub
JBL THX Certified speakers HT1F (front & center), 2X HT1D (surround + surround back).
Panasonic TH-50PX77U
Sony DVPNC85H/S
Playstation 3

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Greetings:

I would like to backup all my DVDs and BlueRay collection onto several HD. Is there any standalone device that:
- Can hook directly into either my Denon AVR-4806 or Plasma TV TH-50PX77U HDMI port.
- Has DTS support
- Has a swappable or interchangeable HD (500GB and beyond) capability.
- Allows to play the IFOs, VOBs and eventually BlueRay ripped format if needs be.

Thanks in advance for your time and help
KLIPSCH RSW-12 Sub
JBL THX Certified speakers HT1F (front & center), 2X HT1D (surround + surround back).
Panasonic TH-50PX77U
Sony DVPNC85H/S
Playstation 3

You are not going to be able to back up any Bluray disc for now, and maybe forever if the BDA has their way. All bluray disc are prevented from being copied by BD+ and BD watermark. AACS has already been broken, so that is not an issue. CSS on DVD has been broken, so you can back these up rather easily.

bfalls
09-08-2008, 07:28 PM
DVDs are not so easy, depending upon whether they're copy-protected and by who. CSS was broken less than two years after it was implemented, but is still included on the majority of DVDs. It is the easiest to circumvent by free online programs. Macrovision's Riptide, Sony ARccOS and several others are much more effective. Except for the very few, these will require a good undertanding of the DVD Standard (ISO, VOB, VTS...) and purchase of one or more decoding, cleanup, reformatting software packages. It's not for the average Mom and Pop who want a one button decoder/copier to copy the rental from Blockbuster.

pixelthis
09-09-2008, 10:36 PM
I have several vob files from newsgroups, they play fine on my computer.
AS FOR blu I cant understand why you would want them on a HD,
so you can rent and rip?
GOOD LUCK, these are drm'ed out the yin yang.
they are working on encryption tech that is based on quantum
physics, based on the fact that viewing something changes it.
This will be unhackable, and if they ever adapt this to copy protection
you won't be able to copy anything ever again:1:

pwangdel
09-13-2008, 06:00 PM
I currently have over 1000 foreigners DVDs collecting over years and it keeps growing. Due to space constraint (I live in an appartment and have no more space to put them on the shelves) and I also just realize that some of them are pixelized like mozaic and stalled, even though they are brand new, 3 or 4 years old and have never been watched. Since the DVDs shelf life doesn't seem to last long and I don't have time to watch them all, I start to rip them all into HD for safe keeping and hopefully be able to watch them by the time I am retired. Thus the idea of a standalone device that can easily swap HD and play IFOs/VOBs.

I just have a few Blu Ray title for now and will stop buying them if I am not able to rip them into HD. Either that or I have to change to a bigger appartment or buy a home and neither of this is possible.

Anyway, thank you all for your additional information and comments.