Plasma TV Enthusiastes Anyone (OFF TOPIC) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Plasma TV Enthusiastes Anyone (OFF TOPIC)

Audio Girl
03-10-2004, 10:52 PM
My sweet hubby has it in his brain that he wants a plasma (television)...from the top of the line Fujitsu onward, what do you recommend...HDTV capability is a MUST (no EDTV)?

Ag

Dusty Chalk
03-11-2004, 06:55 AM
I was just over a friend's house this weekend watching a little bit of HDTV vs. DVD, and not on a plasma screen (my friend and I both hate plasma). We couldn't tell the difference between a good film transfer and true high-def (he also has a line doubler).

(I have a flat screen TV (not flat panel), and my friend has a projection something.)

Troy
03-11-2004, 07:18 AM
DC- I have a 51" projection HD set and there is a massive difference from DVD and true HD broadcast.

I notice that movies on HDNet look just like progressive scan DVDs, but stuff filmed with HD cameras like the docs of DiscoveryHD or the occasional HD sports on ESPN or broadcast channels are stunningly clear. There IS a difference.

AG- Look into the lifespan of plasma TVs. I keep hearing that they only laast 7-10 years. Seems like a lot of dough to drop on a short lifespan item.

ForeverAutumn
03-11-2004, 07:40 AM
My sweet hubby has it in his brain that he wants a plasma (television)...from the top of the line Fujitsu onward, what do you recommend...HDTV capability is a MUST (no EDTV)?

Ag

My hubby works for a major electronics company which manufactures and sells plasma TVs. From what he's told me, Troy is correct about the lifespan. Apparently, the average lifespan is about 8 years regardless of the brand.

Also, check out the colour definitions of the TV very carefully before you buy it. If you notice, when you go into an electronics store to view the plasmas they almost always have animated films showing. This is because plasma's do very well showing bright, vibrant colours like you'll find in cartoons, but not so well showing the normal colours that you'll see watching TV.

From everything that I've heard about plasma's, personally, I would spend the money on a really good quality HD large screen TV and use the savings to buy a kick-ass home theatre system.

Dusty Chalk
03-11-2004, 07:55 AM
DC- I have a 51" projection HD set and there is a massive difference from DVD and true HD broadcast.

I notice that movies on HDNet look just like progressive scan DVDs, but stuff filmed with HD cameras like the docs of DiscoveryHD or the occasional HD sports on ESPN or broadcast channels are stunningly clear. There IS a difference.Well, I have to admit, this was with only a couple minutes of watching, but my friend had already gone through the exercise, and directed me towards the differences. (And my friend had a huge projection HD, also, which is where I was making my comparisons. I don't have HD at home.)

I think the real fair comparison would be to watch a HD version of a movie, like from HBO, that you have on DVD, and then compare it with the DVD. Yes? But anyway, I wasn't trying to dissuade AG's husband, I was just voicing one man's opinion. It's not necessary. And I think the annoyances of plasma (it looks artificial/electronic/digititis/whatever/notsureoftheword to me) outweigh the benefits. Certainly a better way to go would be to go HD w/o plasma.

Yeah, I'd probably do HD myself, if I could afford it. But I'm not much of a TV watcher, so it gets deprioritized right off my shopping list. I'd rather get me a new set of headphones.

Troy
03-11-2004, 08:42 AM
I think the real fair comparison would be to watch a HD version of a movie, like from HBO, that you have on DVD, and then compare it with the DVD. Yes? .

If you want to compare film, yes. But it's the stuff that's filmed with the HD cameras, I guess it's a digital process, I don't really know. But I tell ya, the sports, docs and the news stuff filmed with this equipment looks far better than film does.

Then again, this may be that overluminous, oversaturated thing you're talking about . . . I love it, it's like you could crawl right into the TV.

Dave_G
03-11-2004, 08:59 AM
From what I have read, videophiles say tube based tv's are still the only way to go, and that indeed these new flat devices have a way short lifespan.

Sometimes it's best to chill and let technology work it's bugs out before drooping a lot of coin on something that will be useless in a matter of years.

Dave

Troy
03-11-2004, 09:05 AM
From what I have read, videophiles say tube based tv's are still the only way to go, and that indeed these new flat devices have a way short lifespan.

The thing I liked about the projection over the tube is the smoothness of the picture. Even with a HD tube, you can see the individual pixels on the screen. With projection, it's as smooth as butter. And they are not nearly as directional as they used to be.

DarrenH
03-11-2004, 09:20 AM
The cost of these are way out of my league. Even for a small size.

And I'm certainly not keen on that lifespan issue.

But I have to admit, they do look pretty cool.

If given the choice, I would go with a wide screen rear projection model much like what Troy has. But I don't have the room.

We have a 32" Sony Wega flat screen that suits my our needs just fine. It's not HD ready but there's a decoder box available should I ever decide to go that route.

Darren

Audio Girl
03-11-2004, 09:59 AM
Thanks everyone for the insightful feedback... you've definitely given us some important issues to discuss. Part of the reason for the interest in the plasma was the ability to hang it on the wall. This will be in our master bedroom and we don't want to dedicate a lot of space to a television. I didn't realize the lifespan of the plasmas...thanks for bring up this issue because it is now a concern. Forever Autumn, it is interesting that you brought up the animated movie/demo issue. Every plasma I have seen in the stores has had an animated movie playing, usually it's Finding Nemo.

Any suggestions for a tube or projection that doesn't require a lot of dedicated space? It doesn't have to hang on the wall. ;-)

Audio Girl
03-11-2004, 10:04 AM
Thanks everyone for the insightful feedback... you've definitely given us some important issues to discuss. Part of the reason for the interest in the plasma was the ability to hang it on the wall. This will be in our master bedroom and we don't want to dedicate a lot of space to a television. I didn't realize the lifespan of the plasmas...thanks for bring up this issue because it is now a concern. Forever Autumn, it is interesting that you brought up the animated movie/demo issue. Every plasma I have seen in the stores has had an animated movie playing, usually it's Finding Nemo.

Any suggestions for a tube or projection that doesn't require a lot of dedicated space? It doesn't have to hang on the wall. ;-)

Dusty Chalk
03-11-2004, 10:52 AM
Any suggestions for a tube or projection that doesn't require a lot of dedicated space? It doesn't have to hang on the wall. ;-)My friend's projection unit hangs from the ceiling, which is probably unused space in most peoples' cases.

Dusty Chalk
03-11-2004, 10:56 AM
If you want to compare film, yes. But it's the stuff that's filmed with the HD cameras, I guess it's a digital process, I don't really know. But I tell ya, the sports, docs and the news stuff filmed with this equipment looks far better than film does.Yeah, the HD stuff I saw looked fabu, no argument about that. What I'm saying is, a good DVD, through my friend's system, was comparable. We watched Jackie Brown, and that was not competitive, but then he switched in Finding Nemo, and that was just as good as true HD.
Then again, this may be that overluminous, oversaturated thing you're talking about . . . I love it, it's like you could crawl right into the TV.I think you're mixing up two things -- that's the plasma that I don't like. I definitely like HD, I think it's like the difference between upsampling, and a 24/96 remaster, but since I don't watch movies as much, I don't care as much, so I'm not willing to spring the extra nickel to go that route myself.

I have to admit to being a little confused, myself. Are you saying your projection system is plasma? I thought plasma == flat panel?

Troy
03-11-2004, 01:59 PM
Yeah, the HD stuff I saw looked fabu, no argument about that. What I'm saying is, a good DVD, through my friend's system, was comparable. We watched Jackie Brown, and that was not competitive, but then he switched in Finding Nemo, and that was just as good as true HD.I think you're mixing up two things -- that's the plasma that I don't like. I definitely like HD, I think it's like the difference between upsampling, and a 24/96 remaster, but since I don't watch movies as much, I don't care as much, so I'm not willing to spring the extra nickel to go that route myself.

I have to admit to being a little confused, myself. Are you saying your projection system is plasma? I thought plasma == flat panel?

Yeah, the CGI animation on HD is as good as it gets. But this filmed video stuff I'm talking about looks that good to me too.

Ironically enough, I just watched Jackie Brown on DVD the other day too. Looked real clean. No interlacing or stepping in high contrast areas. Shmoooooove, like it was being . . . well . . . projected. And if it was on HBO HD it would have looked just like this too. But if it was on regular broadcast TV or non-prog scan or VHS, it'd look awful chunky and dirty.

But it's film. There's grain and a lack of depth with film. A muted quality. Watch some of the insect shows on Discovery. Or the travel and nature shows. They kick film's butt. They are SO MUCH brighter and clearer than film! Ditto sports.

No, my projection TV is not plasma. It's one of those rear projection flat screen TVs like this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051826214545&skuId=5450479&type=product

It's the best compromise for price and picture quality. Compared to older style projection TVs, it's shallower (24") and has a much wider side to side viewing area without quality fall-off because they came up with the bright idea to reverse the lens. Now the falloff happens vertically and not horizontally.

It is WAY the nicest TV I've ever owned.

newtrix1
03-12-2004, 03:17 AM

Ag

I'm no expert, but a friend sent me this link to a forum which discusses all sorts of A/V topics. I have not spent much time wading thru the forum myself, but I tucked the link away for future reference. Maybe you can get some tips there.
Good luck, I'm jealous ;) !

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=9

ForeverAutumn
03-12-2004, 06:21 AM

Ag

Hey AG,
If you scroll down to the bottom of this screen and look at the Similar Threads section, there's a bunch of Plasma threads in the Home Theatre forum. You may have already looked here, but in case you missed it......

Cheers!
FA

Audio Girl
03-12-2004, 09:58 PM
Hi FA,

Thanks for the tip on the similar threads section. I've also spent lots of time over at www.avsforum.com...excellent site for those interested in audio/video & the like. Hubs and I are off tomorrow to narrow down this search. We are also considering if we really want to take the HD dive...some of the ED sets look pretty darn close. And are signficantly less money. With the limited viewing opportunities for HD, we may postpone the HD purchase for a couple of years and go with the ED for the time being. I'll keep everyone posted...Those plasmas sure are sexy, aren't they. ;-)