New Metallica, any opinions yet? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Metallica, any opinions yet?

Mr Peabody
08-28-2008, 06:09 PM
I heard the first single. When I heard the melodic beginning I thought, "hey, this could be something", but it seems the song went down hill from there. I heard it a couple times and it might grow on me but I doubt it. The song has a melodic beginning, then a formula Metallica ballad type vocal, then goes into a instrumental passage that eventually ends the song. The guitar on the ending instrumental part sounds like amateur hour, talk about garage days revisited. I'll wait to hear more before forming an opinion on the album but I'm not sure Metallica knows what to do after the backlash from St. Anger. But I can respect something new, a new direction, more than a remake of the Sandman album.

MindGoneHaywire
08-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Not a fan & never was, & I didn't care for the single that was streamed. But a friend played me a couple of other songs from the the album yesterday & they were decent, at least to these ears.

And I never thought I'd say that.

Mr Peabody
08-28-2008, 06:20 PM
So that would lead me to believe something a bit different from them may be on this album.

Rich-n-Texas
08-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Didn't even know they'd released anything Mr. P. Thanks for the heads-up.

The only thing that would suck would be... Lars is still with the band.:nonod:

kexodusc
08-29-2008, 04:04 AM
First thoughts on a few tunes I'v heard are that it is so infinitely superior to anything St. Anger ever was or tried to be...

Here's hoping they should take a page out of Megadeth, who've put out 2 absolutely killer albums in a row reverting to a style more reminiscent of what got them to the big show in the first place.

I'm reserving judgement on this one...if Metallica puts out a solid B+ album or better, I hope they call it a day and go out on a high note.

ForeverAutumn
08-29-2008, 05:00 AM
There's new Metallica? That's kinda funny. I was listening to the s/t album on the way into work this morning and wondering what their newer stuff sounded like. I'm very late to the party on this band, really only discovering an appreciation for them last year with Metallica and Master of Puppets being added to my collection.

I haven't heard the new single but I'll look out for the new disk.

Mr Peabody
08-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Kex, the question would be, is it infinitely superior to the likes of Ride The Lightning or In Justice. If you've heard some good Megadeth, drop some titles. They don't seem to get much radio support in this area.

3-LockBox
08-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Some Kind Of Monster killed Metallica for me, but if they could at least return to the form that drew me in (Black Album) and turn the volume on the bass up to at least '5', I'd give some serious attention.

bobsticks
09-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Mistah Peabody, if I may, I'd recommend that you start your Mega-pilgrimage with Rude Awakenings. It's a collection type-thang, a couple of disc in length, that does a great job of covering the basics. It's available on cd and dvd. While the vid quality might not knock your socks off--especially with your recent forays into Blu--it's solid and there's some great mixes.

http://www.taringa.net/posts/musica/1319250/Megadeth---15-Discazos---2-Mirrors.html (check 3/4 of the way down the page)

I like Hetfield but, frankly, IMO the rest of 'em can go away and stay away. I'm prolly one of the few out there that infinitely prefers Megadeth to Metallica. Ride The Lightening and Master of Puppets are really the only two Metallica albums worth a listen, again IMO. Mustaine and his cast of changing characters put forth much greater driving and challenging materials. From what I know of your tastes you may well come to the same conclusion.

Mr Peabody
09-01-2008, 11:17 AM
I have a couple Megadeth, Symphoney of Destruction and Youthanasia. I'm just not sure what albums after that are good. I know Kex said their last album was good but the Rock station played a Megadeth song a year or so ago I didn't care for. They played it a few times like it might be new and then I didn't hear it anymore. You'd think a Rock station would spin some Megadeth once in awhile.

I've got Ride the Lightning, In Justice and some how ended up with the black album.

bobsticks
09-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Well, I'll stick with my my original rec but if you're deadset (or is it dedset) against replicating material I'd guess that "The World Needs A Hero" would be the next in line.

Could go older too. Ain't nothin' wrong with some "Peace Sells..."

Duds
09-02-2008, 05:16 AM
Everything I have heard so far has been God awful. these clowns havent put out anything good since And Justice For All. It's time for my once favorite band to hang it up.

Mr Peabody
09-22-2008, 03:43 PM
These guys can't get a break any more, now some one is suing them because their record levels on the new album are maxed to the point of distortion. I'm just taking their word for it at this point. I am so happy though that this has happened maybe the attention will be enough to reverse the trend. If I find an article I will post it, I believe there is an interview with the guy or something in Rolling Stone.

Woochifer
09-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Amazing what getting rid of producer Bob Rock has done for Metallica.

Death Magnetic is easily their best album since the black album (Metallica's first album working with Bob Rock), and probably their best one since ...And Justice For All. After the Bob Rock era pushed Metallica further and further from their speed metal/thrash roots with each successive album, this is Metallica getting back to sounding like ... well ... Metallica. They are very clearly trying to channel the sound that they created on Master of Puppets and ...And Justice For All. And to a large degree, they've succeeded and that should be reason to rejoice for long time fans (like me).

That said, this is an uneven album that could've easily been named More Justice For All (in much the same way that Reload hinted that it was a continuation of Load). The sprawling song lengths with myriad time and key changes and riffs galore are very reminiscent of ...And Justice For All. That was the culmination of where Metallica's early sound was headed. At that point, they needed a clean break and teaming with Bob Rock for the black album provided that break.

Now, 20 years later, they needed another clean break, because St Anger was the culmination of what the Bob Rock-era had been about -- shorter songs, fewer riffs, getting away from nihilistic lyrics, etc. Getting back to the sound from their 1980s heyday is a good reference point. But, it also hints that Metallica's done with pushing the boundaries and reinventing themselves, and content with getting back to their roots and the sound/formula that they popularized, and exploring their music within those limits.

Overall, this is a welcome return to the vintage Metallica sound and song structure, but it does not surpass those albums in their scope, ambition, and just plain rage.

Woochifer
09-24-2008, 02:24 PM
I've got Ride the Lightning, In Justice and some how ended up with the black album.

Your next Metallica purchase absolutely should be Master of Puppets. That's not only Metallica's best album, but it's also my personal pick for best metal album period. Since Metallica's new album is using that album as a reference point, you might as well buy the real thing.

Mr Peabody
09-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Wooch I think you are pretty right on with your comments. I heard the new album on the radio last night and it was on in the background, so not getting my full attention but my impression was there's no doubt when you hear it it's Metallica but it didn't impress me enough to put it on my purchase list and Amazon is selling it dirt cheap for a new release, if it hasn't changed it's $8.99. There was a couple songs I really liked but for the most part it seemed to lack something. Maybe it was the "rage" you mentioned or hunger. I personally like In Justice For All a lot. It's my second favorite with Ride The Lightning being the fav. I do plan to get the MOP album at some point.

JSE
09-27-2008, 08:03 PM

Death Magnetic is easily their best album since the black album (Metallica's first album working with Bob Rock), and probably their best one since ...And Justice For All. After the Bob Rock era pushed Metallica further and further from their speed metal/thrash roots with each successive album, this is Metallica getting back to sounding like ... well ... Metallica. They are very clearly trying to channel the sound that they created on Master of Puppets and ...And Justice For All. And to a large degree, they've succeeded and that should be reason to rejoice for long time fans (like me).

That said, this is an uneven album that could've easily been named More Justice For All (in much the same way that Reload hinted that it was a continuation of Load). The sprawling song lengths with myriad time and key changes and riffs galore are very reminiscent of ...And Justice For All. That was the culmination of where Metallica's early sound was headed. At that point, they needed a clean break and teaming with Bob Rock for the black album provided that break.

Now, 20 years later, they needed another clean break, because St Anger was the culmination of what the Bob Rock-era had been about -- shorter songs, fewer riffs, getting away from nihilistic lyrics, etc. Getting back to the sound from their 1980s heyday is a good reference point. But, it also hints that Metallica's done with pushing the boundaries and reinventing themselves, and content with getting back to their roots and the sound/formula that they popularized, and exploring their music within those limits.

Overall, this is a welcome return to the vintage Metallica sound and song structure, but it does not surpass those albums in their scope, ambition, and just plain rage.

Well said. I've been listening to it all day today and it's truly their best since the Black Album. Great long instrumental tracks. Just a greta album to sit back and enjoy.

Mr Peabody
09-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Either Thursday or Friday I heard the album sold 860k copies. So I guess folks are liking it.

bobsticks
09-28-2008, 09:57 AM
I can't agree with everyone else's sentiments on "The Black Album" and "...Injustice for All"...hated 'em both...but, IMO your next purchase should absolutely be "Master of Puppets". Brilliant piece of wax.

Duds
09-29-2008, 09:10 AM
Doesnt mean they like it, just means they bought it :)

Either Thursday or Friday I heard the album sold 860k copies. So I guess folks are liking it.

Duds
09-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Sorry to diagree, but this aint vintage metallica. This album sounds horrible, James's vocals are just awful, and Lars had become a horrible drummer.

kexodusc
09-29-2008, 10:48 AM
Mistah Peabody, if I may, I'd recommend that you start your Mega-pilgrimage with Rude Awakenings. It's a collection type-thang, a couple of disc in length, that does a great job of covering the basics. It's available on cd and dvd. While the vid quality might not knock your socks off--especially with your recent forays into Blu--it's solid and there's some great mixes.

http://www.taringa.net/posts/musica/1319250/Megadeth---15-Discazos---2-Mirrors.html (check 3/4 of the way down the page)

I like Hetfield but, frankly, IMO the rest of 'em can go away and stay away. I'm prolly one of the few out there that infinitely prefers Megadeth to Metallica. Ride The Lightening and Master of Puppets are really the only two Metallica albums worth a listen, again IMO. Mustaine and his cast of changing characters put forth much greater driving and challenging materials. From what I know of your tastes you may well come to the same conclusion.
I know I've been MIA, sorry, it's been a busy month!
For Megadeth, I like Rust In Peace and Countdown to Extinction...then The System Has Failed, and Peace Sells.
Thing with Megadeth that Metallica never really got - no matter how weak a bad album got, they still had 1 or 2 killer tunes that made it worth the effort.

As for Metallica albums...my favs in this order:
1)...And Justice For All - though so horribly recorded, the music is untouchable
2) Black Album
3) Master of Puppets
3) Ride the Lightning

That's not a type-o...they followed the same damn formula for those 2 albums, not unlike what modern metal acts like Opeth the likes did early in their careers..if it ain't broke don't fix it. A good tie for #3, some days MOP wins, somedays the bell tolls for Lightning...

After that - ReLoad had a few good tunes...Kill'em All was kind of fun, and everything else sucks. My favorite Metallica album is probably S&M because the symphony works so well with their earlier music.

As for their latest - I'm disappointed - it's not horrible, has it's moments, but it just comes across as insincere. Dunno why, but it just doesn't have the same pissed off intensity that I liked about Metallica years ago, or that Megadeth was able to recapture after Risk...but it's better than the last 3 studio releases and people seem to be enjoying it. I've changed my opinion on Metallica...

They no longer suck...now it's "they just don't rock like they used to"

Finch Platte
09-29-2008, 11:06 AM
...Lars had become a horrible drummer.

Just curious why you say this.

Thanks,

fp

nightflier
09-29-2008, 04:11 PM
I know it seems trite to ask, but with Metallica it's also always a question of quality. How is the new album recorded?

P.S. Just for the record, I made a decision some time ago to boycott the band because of their asinine position on digital downloads. I really liked the band initially, but I've stuck to my principles with them. I do have their early CDs, but after the Black Album, it all started to sound the same, anyhow. Besides that, there's lots of other great bands out there. Not trying to muddy the water, here, just mentioning it.

bobsticks
09-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Just curious why you say this.

Thanks,

fp

IMO, he hasn't become a horrible drummer...he's become a horrible recording artist.Clearly, years of touring has destroyed his ears as well as Hetfield's and certainly Hammet's.

If I ever allowed anything so terrible sounding as "Injustice.." to be released I would desolve the band immediately and all this discussion about subsequent dreck would be obviated.

Mr Peabody
09-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Nightflier, did you see my above post? The new album has the record levels pushed to distortion and some one is actually trying to sue them over it.

OK, what exactly is the problem with In Justice sound quality? I like this album a lot and I like the sound they do with the drums. There is much worse out there.

bobsticks
09-29-2008, 07:32 PM
Real drums don't sound like tupperware.

kexodusc
09-30-2008, 03:52 AM
And there's the whole "no identifiable bass" issue in most songs...

Could you imagine if the Beastie Boys recorded Licensed to Ill with bass and drums at the same levels?
It woulda sounded like a beatnik with street cred...
You gotta fight (snap snap)...For your right (snap, snap)

Duds
09-30-2008, 04:00 AM
He's a hell of a lot slower. Granted, he's older, but when he tries to play their older stuff, he is awful.

=Finch Platte]Just curious why you say this.

Thanks,

fp[/QUOTE]

Duds
09-30-2008, 04:01 AM
LOL!! what the hell was that drum sound on St. Anger??

Slosh
09-30-2008, 02:26 PM
...And Justice For All!!! You've only had 20 years to learn the title. :p "In Justice For All" nakes no f<a>ucking sense at all. Their best album IMO and I'm sorry but the black album blows. Metallica has had the suck for two decades now. I'm over it :)

See?

bobsticks
10-01-2008, 05:04 AM
...And Justice For All!!! You've only had 20 years to learn the title. :p "In Justice For All" nakes no f<a>ucking sense at all. Their best album IMO and I'm sorry but the black album blows. Metallica has had the suck for two decades now. I'm over it :)

Well, you're right..."In Justice For All" doesn't make much sense. On the other hand, "...Injustice For All" makes alot of sense, since that's what it was. And, no, I didn't have 20 years. I had about two months. After that I gave my copy away to some needy metalhead chick and tried to pretend like it never happened.

One thing we can agree on Paddy O'Slosh is that it's over.

ForeverAutumn
10-01-2008, 05:22 AM
After that I gave my copy away to some needy metalhead chick...

Oh yeah, thanks for that.

;)

I had the new CD in my hand yesterday and then decided not to pull the trigger. I think that the single on the radio sucks big time and I need to hear more before forking out the dough. I'd rather put the 15 clams towards the new live David Gilmour collection.

bobsticks
10-01-2008, 05:52 AM
Smooches right back atchya Fall Girl...and, um, sorry, that was a pretty rotten parting gift. Should've stuck with the Turtle Wax, eh?

The new Gilmour would be good. All kinds of alternatives available though. You want something a little Gilmour, a lil' Floyd, a bit prog, and with a healthy dose of metal?

How's about this old chestnut:

http://www.spirit-of-metal.com/les%20goupes/Q/Queensryche/The%20Warning/The%20Warning.jpg

Here's a taste. Them boys hit Sloshy's headboard harder then anything the HamsterCasters did after MOP...er, that didn't come out right, but you get the point.

<object width="300" height="110"><param name="movie" value="http://media.imeem.com/m/iZmzq3CsAQ/aus=false/"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://media.imeem.com/m/iZmzq3CsAQ/aus=false/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="300" height="110" wmode="transparent"></embed><a href="http://www.imeem.com/mmalmsteen/music/N8fnYJC9/queensrche_roads_to_madness/">Roads to Madness - Queensr˙che</a></object>

nightflier
10-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Queensryche, boy that takes me back too. Actually, I hadn't really pulled out any of my old metal records in a while so I decided to spin some oldies last night (it's been one of those weeks at the old job...). I also listened to my Metallica CDs, including Load, Reload and Kill 'Em All, along with some of my other favs like Rainbow, Maiden, Leppard, and some lesser known stuff (Axe, Saxon, Dokken, etc.) that was sitting on the shelf. Unfortunately I am now realizing why these were gathering dust since they were horribly mastered/recorded and sound pretty friggin flat on a good system (something I didn't have when I bought these, BTW). And it's not just early RBCD-malaise either, because the records don't sound much better.

Reload, by the way, was part of the same set as Load and when the band figured they had enough for a first album, they waited a year and released the rest on a second album - personally, they would have done the world a much greater service by leaving out the puke-inducing Mama Said, Low Man's Lyric, and the rest of the Chilly-Pepper-influenced drivel, and released a single album. And it's this kind of marketing that pisses me off about the band. Not only did they beat down Napster and little grannies who wanted to rock to "I Dissapear," but we're talking about a band that wholeheartedly embraced that big media marketing culture. This from a group of alcoholic misfits who's roots were anything but law-abiding, money-grubbing, pocket-protector-wearing-bean-counting, upholders of the establishment. It's just f*ing hypocritical. From "Am I Evil":

My mother was a witch, she was burned alive
Thankless little b*tch, for tears I cried
Take her down now, don't wanna see her face
All blistered and burnt, can't hide my disgrace
and with the action now, I'll strip your pride
I'll spread your blood around, I'll see you ride
Your face is scarred with steel, wounds deep and neat
Like a double dozen before ya, smells so sweet

So when they've made millions and they're f*ing self-righteous members of the multi-millionnaire's club, they wine about a few downloads, and sick their piss-a** lawyers on a whole new wave of potential fans? Well sorry, but that's not going to get me to open my wallet. Magnetic may be the best album of all time, but I sure as hell ain't going to pay for it. I might bittorrent it and spread it around, but only to piss Ulrich off.

And I haven't even gotten to the quality part. If Mr.P is correct, and the quality sucks too, maybe $8.95 is still too high a price for a band that really needs to do more to regain a real honest fan-base. Why don't they offer free downloads? Maybe they owe something more to all those poor saps that had to pay thousands of dollars to their blood-sucking lawyers and who's lives were ruined with a criminal record. At the very least, the remaining fans deserve an album that actually sounds decent.

Sorry, about the language, folks, but this is one opportunistic, lecherous, and parasitic marketing machine that deserves neither my money nor my time, much less does it deserve to be played on my sound system. Here's my message to Ulrich, Hetfield, Hammet, Trujillo, their California haircuts, the wanabe zen-isms, and their tired platitudes at awards shows (in the words of Metallica-past): "F*ck 'em all."

Slosh
10-01-2008, 02:50 PM
How's about this old chestnut:

http://www.spirit-of-metal.com/les%20goupes/Q/Queensryche/The%20Warning/The%20Warning.jpg
pfft, this is waaaay better:

Mr Peabody
10-01-2008, 05:08 PM
It's interesting those that do like Metallica are so divided on their albums. I really like In Justice For All and would replace it if it was lost, or given away in a fit of lust :) Aside from whether you like the production the music rocks!

The only Queensryche worth owning is Warning or their first EP.

How did the F bomb show up without being *********'d?

Slosh
10-01-2008, 05:35 PM
How did the F bomb show up without being *********'d?I have no f<a>uckin' idea :D

NP:

bobsticks
10-01-2008, 06:10 PM
pfft, this is waaaay better:

I like that one. Great Dal Bello cover...psycho-metal...I'm diggin' it the most.

I kinda figured, given Autumn's sensibilities, that she might like "The Warning" better, neo-prog/metal and all. Mebbe you're right though, she might prefer the remake that points to her Canuckian roots.

3-LockBox
10-01-2008, 06:12 PM
I am with everyone here that says And Justice For All sounds like crap, but from a pure musical/lyrical perspective, its their best, IMO of course. I liked the Black album a lot and to me, its their second best offering. Beyond that, I don't have much use for their albums. Hetfield complained bitterly about the sound quality on the Black album, because he hated the way the bass sounded...its the only Metallica album I know of that has any bass on it. He likes that the drums on all other Metallica albums sound like Tupperware and the cymbals sound like aluminum pie pans, and the bass is pretty much like some guy strumming his fingers on a table top. Go figure - he's a lead guitarist with all the say-so, just like Eddy Van Halen, whose band also sounds the way I described Metallica. That way, you really really hear that guitar, I mean, why else are you listening?

Stick a fork in 'em.

Mr Peabody
10-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Metallica's recent bassist had a deal with Fernandes bass guitars but Oooops Metallica already has a deal with ESP guitars, so what do they do, they sick the attorneys on Fernandes to stop using Trujillo in ads.

http://www.tmz.com/2008/09/28/metallica-for-whom-the-lawsuit-tolls/

nightflier
10-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Metallica's recent bassist had a deal with Fernandes bass guitars but Oooops Metallica already has a deal with ESP guitars, so what do they do, they sick the attorneys on Fernandes to stop using Trujillo in ads.

There's so many more bands out there, why waste my hard-earned $$$ on Metallica? They'll just spend it on more lawyers.

Duds
10-06-2008, 04:34 AM
Um, ok, and did you somehow forget about Mindcrime?

It's interesting those that do like Metallica are so divided on their albums. I really like In Justice For All and would replace it if it was lost, or given away in a fit of lust :) Aside from whether you like the production the music rocks!

The only Queensryche worth owning is Warning or their first EP.

How did the F bomb show up without being *********'d?

Mr Peabody
10-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Mindcrime has terrible sound quality and not even close to as good as Warning in content. Actually, the albums are quite different, almost as if two different bands. I do really like that song "I Don't Believe In Love", from Mindcrime.

I guess I could have also added the original EP with the song Queen of the Ryche which is probably still my all time favorite QR song.

ForeverAutumn
10-07-2008, 05:13 AM
I like that one. Great Dal Bello cover...psycho-metal...I'm diggin' it the most.

I kinda figured, given Autumn's sensibilities, that she might like "The Warning" better, neo-prog/metal and all. Mebbe you're right though, she might prefer the remake that points to her Canuckian roots.

The only Queensryche that I have are Operation Mindcrime and Empire. Aside from Silent Lucidity, neither one knocked me off my feet. After Empire, I figured that two Queensryche CDs were enough for my collection.

I'm willing to give The Warning a chance. I don't dislike the band I just never was bowled over by them for some reason. Although they were pretty good live.

bobsticks
10-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Makes Metallica look like the geriatric mouth-breathers that they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbGxM3V92A8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1EMGeOR20c

nightflier
10-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Makes Metallica look like the geriatric mouth-breathers that they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbGxM3V92A8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1EMGeOR20c

Definitely not glam-rock....