Modern Guilt [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Modern Guilt

noddin0ff
08-28-2008, 04:30 AM
I haven't seen any comments on this. Am I reading the wrong threads?

I count 2.5 decent songs on the latest from Beck. I think I'd place it in the same cluster as Mutations and Sea Change, but it's not as good as either. I thought I heard Gamma Ray on the radio, which is a shame 'cause that song seems to bore me more than others on the album. It also isn't very representative. Gamma Ray has this retro guitar riff that makes you think that Beck is going to mix another fun batch of sounds into the album. But, he doesn't.

I'm now listening to track 3, Chemtrail and thinking how banal these lame existentialist lyrics are. I'll quote.

I can’t believe what we’ve seen outside
You and me watching the jets go by
Oh, oooh, oh
Oh, oooh, oh

Down by the sea so many people’ve
Already drowned
You and me watching the sea full of people
Try not to drown

So many people, so many people
Where do they go?
You and me watching the sky full of chemtrails
That’s where we can float

All I can take from these skies is fog
And all I can see in this light are boats sinking
Oh, oooh, oh

Anyway, noddin not happy with Beck. Noddin not as disappointed with Beck as with Portishead. Noddin finds redeeming value in Beck's songs Orphans, Modern Guilt, and Soul of Man. Noddin believes 5 of 10 songs to suck, however.

3-LockBox
08-28-2008, 04:38 AM
so you don't like the new Portishead?

never been much of a Beck fan myself.

ForeverAutumn
08-28-2008, 05:13 AM
I've tried to like Beck. But not successfully.

Mr MidFi
08-28-2008, 05:35 AM
I actually kinda liked the new one for the first couple of listens. Must have been in the mood for it. But yeah, it faded pretty quickly for me. Too much angst, not enough 'cool & clever'.

About half of it works, and half really doesn't. At least it's not too long, though.