$400 to spend - Onkyo TX SR 606 or Marantz SR 4002 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : $400 to spend - Onkyo TX SR 606 or Marantz SR 4002

StevoL
08-27-2008, 09:18 AM
OK, I know that the most important aspect in any purchase is how something sounds to me. However, it won't be possible for me to audition either of these so I'm relying on reviews and features. They look very comparable in terms of features, connectivity, and overall quality.

Can anyone give a recommendation or suggest something other than these two that's no more than $400?

L.J.
08-27-2008, 10:29 AM
I'd go with the 606 if I had to choose between those 2. The 4002 lacks a few things. No OSD via HDMI, no upconversion via HDMI, no HD audio decoding.

You could also take a look at the Yamaha 661 or 663.

Any of these units will do fine with a BR player because they can all except multi-channel PCM via HDMI so HD decoding isn't necessary but still would be nice to have. Other things may be a concern though. Depends on what your needs are and what you plan on doing in the future. It would suck to get an AVR and then find out you can't add an amp later or something like that.

Personally, I'd spend some time with a few units before making a purchase. Not always possible, I know, but that's how I like to do it. Especially since I know I'll be stuck with the unit for a good while.

RoadRunner6
08-27-2008, 11:00 PM
My vote is for the Onkyo 606 ($359 at 6ave.com). I don't think there is a better buy in this price range.

http://hometheatermag.com/receivers/808onk/

RR6

notphilmitchell
09-05-2008, 11:12 AM
I just replaced a Denon 1905 with the 606 ($359 shipped) because of the new Audesey [sp] auto-calibration, EQ features, and additional power. Setup was easy and sounds better then the 1905 (possibly because of the calibration). I love having the HDMI!

StevoL
09-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Thanks to all, especially Roadrunner who saved me about $60 with the 6ave.com recommendation.

RoadRunner6
09-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Glad we could help. As with all online purchases use a CREDIT CARD ONLY!..No debit cards. 6th Ave has a good reputation. Some of the online dealers if you order online (which I prefer) rather than by phone will e-mail you and ask you to call them to verify your order. When you call then try to sell you accessories, etc. Just be firm and say no. (I don't think 6th Ave. pulls this stunt like some others such as Abes of Maine, Adorama, etc.)

RR6 :p

RoadRunner6
09-07-2008, 01:28 PM
PS: The Onkyo's have a very impressive amp for that price range, but they tend to run hot. Be sure you have enough ventalation for the receiver.

audiorox
09-09-2008, 07:52 PM
I agree with the Onkyo 606 recommendations. I have this particular unit in my home, so I may be biased. However, it does everything well and has plenty of power for my application. It has more HDMI inputs than I need, and the setup mic that's included makes speaker setup idiot-proof. It puts out some heat, like has been mentioned, so plan for ventilation if setting up in a cabinet. I paid $400 @ Crutchfield.

pixelthis
09-09-2008, 11:04 PM
I agree with the Onkyo 606 recommendations. I have this particular unit in my home, so I may be biased. However, it does everything well and has plenty of power for my application. It has more HDMI inputs than I need, and the setup mic that's included makes speaker setup idiot-proof. It puts out some heat, like has been mentioned, so plan for ventilation if setting up in a cabinet. I paid $400 @ Crutchfield.

I SAW it for 379 at vanns.
Its nothing short of amazing that this much stuff is packed into such a cheap box.
Faroudja proc? four hdmi 1.3 inputs? A sirius plug?
I priced a four position hdmi switch at a hundred bucks!
Suffering from mucho future shock here.:1: