No idea what im doing, help please :) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : No idea what im doing, help please :)

itthenbecomesourhouse
08-27-2008, 03:47 AM
hi, i was recently given 2 quite large speakers, and i was wondering if i could wire them up to a cd player, i have no idea what im doing as ive only bought audio equipment for my computer, but the size of these, ive just gonna give em a go

i dont acutaly have a cd player or anything i always just listen to mp3 via my computer, so any help choosing just a simple one, possbily with something to turn the bass up?
also i have no idea what kinda speaker wire id need or if id need an amp etc

they dont have any markings or stickers so i have no idea what brand they are or the specs

http://i33.tinypic.com/1zwni9k.jpg

thanks for any help:smile5:

markw
08-27-2008, 04:16 AM
Your stuff won't drive those things directly. You're gonna need either a receiver of an integrated amplifier. Check local garage sales for a cheap, hopefully functional, one.

itthenbecomesourhouse
08-27-2008, 04:32 AM
Your stuff won't drive those things directly. You're gonna need either a receiver of an integrated amplifier. Check local garage sales for a cheap, hopefully functional, one.

Well when i get paid next month and I'm quite prepared to buy a new one for aswell as whatever ellse i may need, i'll have a budget of about 400pounds, which is about 800 dollars
so what do you think id need specifcally? within my rough budget..

Or are you worried they wont work and i shouldnt waste my money on all that then have to buy new speakers aswell?

Rich-n-Texas
08-27-2008, 04:51 AM
To me, those speakers look more like something a 70's bar band would have set up with a Peavey amp sitting on top. I see what looks like a tweeter and a bass speaker, but no mid-range.

For your 400 poiunds you could purchase a decent 2 channel receiver AND speakers in my opinion.

Worf101
08-27-2008, 05:44 AM
To me, those speakers look more like something a 70's bar band would have set up with a Peavey amp sitting on top. I see what looks like a tweeter and a bass speaker, but no mid-range.

For your 400 poiunds you could purchase a decent 2 channel receiver AND speakers in my opinion.
Those are obviously commercial speakers (read bar or band) that are not ideal for home listening in any case. If you've a huge house, huge room or a huge yard then have at it. But basically you'll have the sonic equivilant of a "blunt axe" there. If you must use them, go online, get a good used 2 channel amp on the cheap along with a good used CD changer and go to town. Please don't feel I'm putting you down, I just play music for money and know a little of whence I speak.

Da Worfster

markw
08-27-2008, 05:53 AM
Well when i get paid next month and I'm quite prepared to buy a new one for aswell as whatever ellse i may need, i'll have a budget of about 400pounds, which is about 800 dollars
so what do you think id need specifcally? within my rough budget..

Or are you worried they wont work and i shouldnt waste my money on all that then have to buy new speakers aswell?I KNOW they'll work when you get an amp to drive them.

I don't recall you asking my opinion on wether I would recommend them for home listening, just how to get them to work, but you might want to strongly consider what my colleagues have said.