Got KC's Power To Believe in da mail yesterday; listened to it three times so far [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Got KC's Power To Believe in da mail yesterday; listened to it three times so far

3-LockBox
03-10-2004, 10:08 PM
First off, I have to say I can see why this CD is so polarizing among Crim fans. Myself, I think its got its strong points. The instrumental tracks on this disc are the best <b>KC</b> has done in years, way better than the instrumentals on <i>Thrak</i>. They are much more structured and coherent, and don't seem to meander like some past instrumentals (well maybe 'Level Five' does). 'Elektrik', and 'The Power To Believe' are great tracks in the <b>KC</b> tradition, albeit "enhanced" with a little electronica (of course, YMMV). 'Dangerous Curves' sounds like Alan Parsons joined <b>Cabaret Voltaire</b> and its pure elektronika(again, YMMV).

The weak spots here oddly enough are the vocal tracks, that is, the vocals themselves. There is some weird kinda processing done to Belews vocals, so much so that you wouldn't think they were Adrian, but some new guy. Certainly, these effects might be appropriate on a song like 'Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With', which seems to be taking a swipe at death metal, but are down right irritating on the other tracks, like 'Facts Of Life', which is somewhat out of character for a <b>KC</b> song. In 'fact', it sounds like something <b>Spock's Beard</b> woulda done ( in fact, the vocal reminds me of Neil Morse on the song 'Cake Walk On Easy Street' -so do the lyrics). Maybe Ade's voice can't keep up on the scorching rockers any more (where's Max Bacon when ya nee'im?). 'Happy' is ok the first or second time you hear it, but the joke wears thin after that. 'Eyes Wide Open' is a good song reminiscent of 'Walking On Air' or 'One Time', but the vocal effect is still present, just not as much.

I'd have to say I'd be weary of recommending this to anyone but a Crim fan. Its not dance enough for most fans of techno, not dark enough for goth rock, and it isn't jazz/rock fusion enough for old school proggers. Its a crap shoot. I like it and I'm a recent convert.

Here's what I intend to do: combine most of the instrumental tracks of <i>PTB</i> and the vocal tracks of <i>Thrak</i> on CD-R.

YMMV = your music may vary

DarrenH
03-11-2004, 06:31 AM
Glad you liked PTB 3LB.

I don't hear that 'weird processing' in Belew's vocals like you do. To me, he just sounds like Belew. I guess we all hear things differently.

'Happy' taking a swipe at death metal?!? I never would've made that comparison. Once again, we all hear things differently.

I think Thrak has some killer instrumentals. Vroom is just fantastic. Rates right up there with Red.

Ya know what, I need listen to Thrak and Power side by side. Think I'll do that.

You need to get that new DVD now.

Darren

Troy
03-11-2004, 07:10 AM
I think what I like about this album so much (easily my favorite stright up prog rock album from last year) is the fact that it DOESN"T have it's feet firmly planted in either techno, fusion or goth yet it has elements of each. It's a great amalgam that is paced really well. Yes, mainly for King Crimson fans, but aren't ALL KC albums mainly for KC fans? I mean, they have a relatively limited appeal to the masses.

Yes, "Happy . . . " is a total gouge at growly Cookie Monster death metal. Pay attention to the lyrics.

I don't hear the processing on the vox that much except on "Happy . . .". It was much worse of "Construktion of Light".

Great album.

DarrenH
03-11-2004, 09:45 AM
Yes, "Happy . . . " is a total gouge at growly Cookie Monster death metal. Pay attention to the lyrics.

Yeah, those lyrics are quite laughable and do poke fun at the genre. My mistake. Thanks for setting me straight.

Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With

And when I have some words
This is the way I'll sing
Through a distortion box
To make them menacing

Yeah, then I'm gonna have to write a chorus
We're gonna need to have a chorus
And this seems to be as good as any other place to sing it till I'm blue in the face

And for a second verse
Of terse economy
I'll brew another pot
Of ambiguity

Then I'm gonna have to write a chorus
We're gonna need to have a chorus
And this seems to be as good as any other place to sing it till I'm blue in the face
Yes, we're gonna need to have a chorus
I'm gonna have to write a chorus

Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have,
happy with what you have to be happy with
to be happy with what you have you have to be happy with what you have to happy with

Then I guess I'll repeat the chorus!
We're gonna repeat the chorus!
I guess I'll repeat the chorus!
Then I guess I'll repeat the chorus!
I guess I'll repeat the chorus!

Happy with what you have to be happy with
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have,
happy with what you have to be happy with
to be happy with what you have you have to be happy with what you have to happy with