Anyone ever use Skullcandy products? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use Skullcandy products?

Mr Peabody
08-25-2008, 08:12 PM
I just recently learned about this brand and they make some interesting products. I wondered if they were any good. It looks like their marketing is mostly to a young crowd. Some of the earbuds only play down to a rated 100Hz, is that typical of buds? Others shown are rated at 20Hz or under though. They advertise most of the cabling as OFC which is a good sign.

atomicAdam
08-26-2008, 02:34 PM
i've looked at the frequency response range on the back of the headphones and they are pretty lack luster.

i think this is more a image item than of actually audio value.

markw
08-26-2008, 02:44 PM
From what my step-son tells me, they're all sizzle, no steak.

OFC is now a buzzword for the wannabe audiophiles. The cable don't mean squat if it goes to a poor transducer.

Mr Peabody
08-26-2008, 06:05 PM
A friend of mine at work really likes my Sennheiser portables but didn't want to shell out $60.00 for a pair so he ended up with a pair of the Skullcandy Lowriders. I plugged them into my mp3 player to see how they compared. The Senn's are worth the money but the Lowriders weren't bad. They were almost brand new so may need some break in as well. I thought the mids and highs weren't bad but they definitely lacked bass. I'll have to try them again in a couple of weeks. Maybe take them to lunch to have more then a 30 second listen.

RobDigital
03-06-2009, 08:25 AM
As a rule of thumb, I shy away from most brands that put significant development capitol into form instead of function. I'll admit I've never tried Skullcandy products.

However:

Lets say two companies had a $6 million product design budget for headphones. One spent $1 million on looks and $5 million on acoustics. The other spent $3 million on looks and $3 million on acoustics. ---- Which would you want to listen to all the time?

Why not get some nice Koss Porta Pros?

Kevio
03-06-2009, 11:19 AM
That's nice but I don't think it as as simple to separate form from function as you may be thinking.

nightflier
03-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Then there's the iGrados.

Mr Peabody
03-06-2009, 07:25 PM
I was leaning toward Etymotic but now I might try the AKG. Denon make some that got good reviews too. I also saw some Shure 210's for cheap. He screams with both hands full of hair.

Mr Peabody
03-13-2009, 08:41 PM
I got my AKG 324's in ear buds in. I don't want to say too much because I have found headphones usually need a break in period. Just out of the package though they seem to have very strong bass response, they seem faster than my Sennheiser PX-200 over the ear portables, vocals seem some what recessed though which I found odd, highs are plentiful but I hope sound a bit more natural after some play time. Sound isolation is real good. On the city bus with music at moderate level I rarely hear anything other than the music.

They really don't come with instructions. Any one know a proper way to remove the silicon covers, or whatever they're called? I don't want to break my phone or tare the cover in case the smaller is too small.

bobp
06-02-2009, 01:35 PM
i have used skullcandy and enjoyed them thourghly- the lower end ones are perfect for listening to on the move and at the price nothing beats them. (im talking smokin' buds here) if your buying as a present for the man in the streat they ont notice the difference between themm and a set of £200 senheisers.
concusion- good present for a freind who needs an upgrade from default iod/mp3 headphones, good for a cheap (£16) backup pair