Upscaling DVD [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Upscaling DVD

02audionoob
08-23-2008, 08:58 AM
I have a 1080i rear-projection TV with analog inputs only. If I buy an upscaling DVD player, will the signal from the component outputs be upscaled? or just the one from the digital output?

elapsed
08-23-2008, 09:48 AM
Hi audionoob, the release notes for the Oppo 980 DVD Player say it best:

"Up-converting over component output is only available for unencrypted DVD discs such as home video and consumer-created contents. Most commercially pressed DVD discs are CSS-encrypted and will be limited to 480i/480p output over component. HDMI output is protected with HDCP and has no such restriction."

There are a couple of Chinese manufacturers that have managed to get around this restriction, and I think there may be some CSS cracks on the Internet. But if I recall, Blu-Ray is cabling of outputting 1080i over component, so this is probably your best option (you'll need to verify this of course)

cheers,
elapsed

02audionoob
08-23-2008, 08:08 PM
Interesting...so if I run a copy with a CSS crack, my copy would presumably display better than my original.

elapsed
08-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Not all video processors are created equal..

Most upconverting DVD players under $100 are junk to be quite honest.. Where things begin to get interesting are with the Oppo 981, which goes for $229 (excellent DVD player btw). But you would still need to find a CSS crack, which seems like a lot of effort to me..

What is your budget for a DVD player?

02audionoob
08-23-2008, 09:11 PM
I don't know exactly what my budget is, but I certainly have no objection to $229. My current player is a Harman/Kardon DVD 101. I would guess it must have cost that much, although I don't actually remember.

elapsed
08-23-2008, 09:46 PM
lol okay in that case, you'll find it pretty quick by Googling "oppo hdcp hack"

I see that the Oppo 981 does not have a component output, so you'd be looking at the Oppo 980 for $169. I haven't auditionned this player for myself, as it doesn't feature the Faroudja chipset. You may want to read some reviews first.

cheers,
elapsed

musicman1999
08-24-2008, 12:57 PM
If you have a HD CRT, why not let it do the converting, most good sets do it very well. I have such a set and have compared 3 different upconverters( ps3, sony s-300 and toshiba HD-D3) using hdmi against my Moon Calypso dvd player outputting 480p by component and none could approach the Moon. To be fair the Moon is worth several times the other 3 combined so it should be better.

bill

02audionoob
08-24-2008, 08:16 PM
To this point, I've been happy with the way the TV displays DVD on the 1080i screen...so I really might just stick with that. I use my DVD player for 2-channel audio playback quite often, so it sounds like the Oppo players might not be my best option. But I like the suggestion and I'm considering giving it a try...maybe because I'm in a buying mood.

pixelthis
08-24-2008, 10:52 PM
To this point, I've been happy with the way the TV displays DVD on the 1080i screen...so I really might just stick with that. I use my DVD player for 2-channel audio playback quite often, so it sounds like the Oppo players might not be my best option. But I like the suggestion and I'm considering giving it a try...maybe because I'm in a buying mood.

Cant speak for others but my SONY WILL OUTPUT 1080I over
a component cable. You need a HDMI cable for 1080p, and HDMI is always going to look better.
Get a Blu player, their upconverting will suffice, you dont get any real resolution increase with upconverting anyway, the only way for a
real res increase is Blu, which will show 1080i on your set,
and 1080p when you're ready, and some are already selling for less than 300 BUCKS, a bargain, really.:1: