Tons 'o tunes last night... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tons 'o tunes last night...

Swish
08-23-2008, 06:31 AM
...along with plenty 'o IPAs. I heard quite a few new one, some that I don't even remember this morning, but here's a sample.

Elbow - couple off their latest, and I like it. Haven't heard much from them since Asleep in the Back

Spoon - A Series of Sneaks. This was my choice and has become my favorite from them by a slim margin. They're all good.

Jim James with Calexico - nice stuff for sure.

Stephen Malkmus singing 'Ballad of a Thin Man' - from the soundtrack of the Dylan biopic 'I'm Not There'.

Steely Dan - Babylon Sister in DTS. The sound quality is so fine, like them or not

Shearwater - Rook. Another of my choices. This is crawling up my list for 2008

Teddy Bears - Punkrocker and Ahead of My Time, two from Soft Machine

Willard Grant Conspiracy - Let It Roll. Another nice effort. Can't remember the names for the tracks we played, but quite nice

Thomas Dolby - a DVD of his solo show. Cool retro stuff with Europa.

Jackson Browne - also on DVD performing These Days live, one of my favorite tunes of all time that he wrote when he was only 16. Can't remember the second one but....

Porcupine Tree - they like them, I don't but tolerated the song that lasted about 12 minutes (don't they all?). The sound quality was exceptional

That's not a complete list, but we played tunes for about 5 hours straight before I hit the road just after midnight.

Swish

3-LockBox
08-23-2008, 03:04 PM
I like Wiser's Premium Blend whiskey

and Guster

Porky Tree is cool too...which one?

I need to reinvestigate Elbow.

Sounds like fun, Swishy.

NP: Guster - Ganging Up On The Sun, before that Calexico - Feast Of Wire and The Morning Benders - Talking Through Tin Cans

Swish
08-23-2008, 03:12 PM
I like Wiser's Premium Blend whiskey

and Guster

Porky Tree is cool too...which one?

I need to reinvestigate Elbow.

Sounds like fun, Swishy.

...and his rule is you can play two tunes in a row from the saw cd or dvd, unless it's one of those 10 minute jobs, then you get just one. No, I can't remember the Porky Tree, but it was a very new dvd, and the song had lots of acoustic at the start.

I just remembered the one guy played a dvd with String Cheese Incident (a jam band if you didn't know, and I really don't have much time for jam bands overall) playing Birdland. It was just fair in my opinion, but that's what happens when you mess with Weather Report. I saw the band perform it live back in 1979, so I'm spoiled.

It got worse when the host played a dvd of the Dead playing Dear Prudence. It sounded good actually, but then Jerry went off on some long solo that just left me bored to tears.
Say, know what a Dead Head says when he runs out of weed? 'This music sucks!'

I like me some Guster too. Don't have much though.

Swish

3-LockBox
08-24-2008, 05:00 PM
No, I can't remember the Porky Tree, but it was a very new dvd, and the song had lots of acoustic at the start.

The only DVD I know of is their 2006 release Arriving Somewhere (live). Unless of course you're referring to a DVD-A, then its anybody's guess, since they've re-released nearly their entire back catalog of albums in that format. As far as sound quality goes, Steve Wilson has a big rep in the industry for his production aesthetic.

I've heard the new Elbow and I have to say I like it. Speaking of Porky Tree, this new Elbow album The Seldom Seen Kid has a fair share of PT-esque moments, or Radiohead, depending on which band you like more. You may have noticed the prog-pop/art-rock tendencies here, what with the piano breaks and lead-ins and generous portions of percussion, ala Peter Gabriel, (For any proggers that might be reading this; Elbow is the band Marillion wishes they were). Anyway, its similar to Cast Of Thousands to me

Know what a Deadhead say when he runs out of weed? This music sucks!

That's only their reaction to one of Jerry's heroin induced sojourns, where terms like jam and improv are code for, "he's forgot what song he's suppose to be playing again".

Swish
08-24-2008, 05:30 PM
The only DVD I know of is their 2006 release Arriving Somewhere (live). Unless of course you're referring to a DVD-A, then its anybody's guess, since they've re-released nearly their entire back catalog of albums in that format. As far as sound quality goes, Steve Wilson has a big rep in the industry for his production aesthetic.

I've heard the new Elbow and I have to say I like it. Speaking of Porky Tree, this new Elbow album has a fair share of PT-esque moments, or Radiohead, depending on which band you like more. You may have noticed the prog-pop/art-rock tendencies here, what with the piano breaks and lead-ins and generous portions of percussion, ala Peter Gabriel, (For any proggers that might be reading this; Elbow is the band Marillion wishes they were).

That's only their reaction to one of Jerry's heroin induced sojourns, where terms like jam and improv are code for, "he's forgot what song he's suppose to be playing again".

I guess it's not a DVD-A or something because there was no actual video, just a picture on the TV screen. I'm not a fan so I didn't pay much attention.

Yeah, Garcia seemed to go off on some distant plane that felt disconnected from the song. Maybe he enjoyed it, but I didn't.

Swishbaby

ForeverAutumn
08-25-2008, 05:43 AM
Porcupine Tree - they like them, I don't but tolerated the song that lasted about 12 minutes (don't they all?). The sound quality was exceptional.

You tolerated all 12 minutes? I didn't think that you could get that drunk. :biggrin5:

I didn't realize that there was a new Elbow disk out. Thanks for mentioning it. I'll have to check it out.

Mr MidFi
08-25-2008, 08:11 AM
I'm with you, Swish-Baby. Plenty of refreshing beverages and tasty tunes on the deck last night...enjoying the gorgeous weather, and some nicely grilled Black Angus filets mignon. Does it get any better?

I, too, am digging most of that I'm Not There soundtrack. Some great, great stuff on there. And that Steely Dan Gaucho DTS disc has been my standard system demo / showoff disc for years now. Of course I love me some Spoon too, and that particular Porky Tree happens to be my personal favorite (by a very slim margin).

NP: "Watching the Detectives" by Elvis Costello & The Attractions

ForeverAutumn
09-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Elbow - couple off their latest, and I like it.

Hey Swishy. Better be careful there my friend...they're talking about Elbow over at Progressive Ears.

:eek:

Swish
09-09-2008, 06:28 AM
Hey Swishy. Better be careful there my friend...they're talking about Elbow over at Progressive Ears.

:eek:

I only listened to the latest one, I don't own it. I can't even remember that it had elements of Prog, so just tell your pals at Progressive Ears to back off!

Swish - saving the civilized world from Prog :prrr: (I need an emoticon that spews vomit)

ForeverAutumn
09-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Don't start with my Fall Girl!

What makes you think that I'm your Fall Girl? That's a little presumptuous.

Davey
09-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Don't start with my Fall Girl!What makes you think that I'm your Fall Girl? That's a little presumptuous.

Swishalicious? Presumptuous? Careful, sometimes a nod is as good as a wink to drunken sailor. Or something to that effect. Maybe you two should find someplace more private to explore your inner feelings :p

ForeverAutumn
09-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Maybe you two should find someplace more private to explore your inner feelings :p

That sound that I hear wouldn't be the sound of a pot calling a kettle black, would it?

:p

Davey
09-09-2008, 11:53 AM
That sound that I hear wouldn't the sound of a pot calling a kettle black, would it?

Isn't that a Wilco song? I can't imagine what you might be implying within that comment. Are you saying that Swish has a thing for me as well?

ForeverAutumn
09-09-2008, 12:23 PM
Isn't that a Wilco song? I can't imagine what you might be implying within that comment. Are you saying that Swish has a thing for me as well?

Well, he asked me not to say anything but...

he passed me a note in math class that said he thought your monkey was kind of cute.

bobsticks
09-09-2008, 03:50 PM
So much about the "old-school" AR Clubhouse is being revealed.

ForeverAutumn
09-09-2008, 05:32 PM
So much about the "old-school" AR Clubhouse is being revealed.

You were mentioned in the note too bobby. Something about the way you handle your stick and attacking you in the crease. I'm really not sure what he meant.

;)