American Music Club's MERCURY [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : American Music Club's MERCURY

-Jar-
03-10-2004, 09:01 PM
any fans of this album out there? I just picked it up last week. Never having heard AMC before (at least that I can recall), I figured it was about time, esp. since I keep hearing Mark Eitzel's name mentioned along side Mark Kozelek of Red House Painters. I have to say that I didn't know what to expect, but I wasn't surprised by Mark Eitzel's voice, in fact, it sounded almost exactly like I thought it would, maybe I do remember hearing them after all.. but anyway. If there's a problem I have with the recording, it's Eitzel's voice, not actually his voice, but the way it's placed in the mix.. very big and center. Almost to the point that it obscures the other instruments, which is kind of frustrating because the instruments do sound great when it's the band only.. but when Eitzel sings, things get a little congested.. but it's a minor quibble really. After 3 times through I'm really starting to enjoy the album. Their writing style takes a little getting used to, and I'm not sure if it's indicitive of their entire output or just this album, but many of the songs have this sort of "pieced together" feel.. in that at times I feel like there should be more transition done between the sections.. it's like you're driving along a road and you turn right without slowing down. all of a sudden, you're going in another direction. Again, not anything that's a complaint, more of an observation. Musically, yes, I can see how they would have been a pretty big influence on Red House Painters, as far as their contemporaries (this album was released in 1993), I'd probably list Nick Cave and Jeff Buckley. Lots of styles covered too, but mostly a very dark, moping kind of atmosphere, though there are bursts of chaos too. The kinda thing I really like normally, but this one might take another few listens to really get a handle on.

-jar

Whooptee
03-11-2004, 11:53 AM
I've never heard Mercury, but I used to own California and Everclear way back when before cd's. If I recall correctly, Everclear was excellent start to finish, whereas California was more hit and miss, but overall I'd say it was more hit. I do have Mark Eitzel's West cd, and I like that a good bit, but it's nowhere close to Everclear as I recall it. Of course, it's been a long time, and my tastes have changed so that could very well not be the case. I'm always on the lookout for Everclear when I'm browsing the used bins, but I've yet come across it.

John

Gresh
03-12-2004, 01:58 PM
I've always enjoyed AMC and I think Everclear and San Francisco are also terrific albums - I also have Mark Eitzel's West which I think is a bit hit or miss - it seems his core fan base was also divided on this album as well. AMC is definately not party music - more reflective kick back stuff for the most part. If you enjoy AMC you might also enjoy Vic Chestnutt.