B&W DM601 S2 Replacement [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : B&W DM601 S2 Replacement

pr9
08-21-2008, 08:31 AM
I have owed a pair of B&W DM601 S2's for over eight years now and have been very pleased with them.

I have recently upgraded my amp to a Cambridge Audio Azur 840A which has brought much more detail to my music, but I feel that maybe it could do with a bit extra.

I am thinking of changing the speakers, preferable to another stand mount model but I won't rule out floorstanders.

I have been looking at the KEF IQ3 (or IQ5 floorstanders) but not sure if they would be an improvement over the 601s.

I am currently using a Cambridge Audio Azur 640C CD player although hope to upgrade this to a 740/840C.

Can anybody make any recommendations?

Cheers.

GMichael
08-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Welcome to AR.

I like the speakers you already have.

stevo238
08-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Why not stay with the B&W's. They have released a new line fairly recently that includes the B&W 585 standmount. It's gotten very good reviews for the most part in the Brit press. What Hifi? should have an online review of them. I think they're priced at about $600.00. Hope this helps.

pr9
08-25-2008, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

I didn't realise there was another updated B&W series, I thought they were still on S3! :crazy:

I've replaced the stock mains lead on the amp and the sound is now a lot sweeter. May stick with the tried and tested speakers for a while yet. :wink5:

PDN
08-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Yes, B&W launched the next generation 600 series speaker line last year and it is superb. I believe the replacment to the DM601 model is the 686, 602 is replaced by the 685, DM603 by the 684, and so on. I have auditioned them and they are very pleasing to the ear. Go to the B&W website and read up on them and the improvements they have incorporated into this new line. I'm thinking of upgrading my DM603 S3's some day to the top of the line 683's but am having a hard time justifying it since my 603's sound so fabulous !!

stevemiro5
09-01-2008, 05:50 PM
I kinda had the same situation - had a pair of B&W DM 610s I bought back in the mid 90s. When I upgraded my system, I moved these to the rears, added a pair of 603s for the front mains and a matching center channel. The system kicks.

I recently opted to upgrade my CDP (Rotel 1072) rather than a sub since I primarily use the system for music. It was like getting a ear transplant! Found ample bass the my prior CDP was hiding.

Next stop a sub and I done...for now.
...I think.

Since I listen primarily use the system for music, I recently upgraded the CD player - (Rotel 1072) and the

PDN
09-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Stevemiro5:

Wow, our systems are very close in similarity. Did you say you upgraded to the Rotel RCD-1072 CDP or from it? If from it, what did you upgrade to?

My set up is a Rotel RSX-1057 A-V receiver, RCD-1072 CDP, B&W DM603-S3's, ASW600subwoofer, pair of B&W M-1's for surrounds, the new 600 series HTM61 center channel speaker, and a Marantz DV3002 DVD player. Tweaks include Tara Labs Bi-wired speaker cable, PSAudio Duet conditioner, Vibrapods, etc. And yes, the system rocks !! Whether I'm listening to straight jazz, smooth jazz, classic rock, blues, classical, and even gospel, this combination of components has a chemistry all it's own. The most gratifying part is that each piece was added (as my budget allowed) one at a time after careful evaluation and study prior to the purchase over an approx 3 year period.

stevemiro5
09-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Hey PDN:

Sounds like we got a lot in common - I upgraded to the Rotel CDP last spring - about two years after I bought the Rotel AV receiver and the mains and center speaker. I was using a Sony CD player and or a Sony DVD player for music. I was a toss up between the Arcam CDP 73 and the Rotel. Went the the Rotel and extermely happy with it.

What amazed me most was the incredible improvement in the bass from the B&W 603s. I use them in a stereo bypass mode most of the time when I listen to music and it was an epiphany. As you noted, any type of music simply rocks.

Do you read your private posts- got a few questions for you on the sub and it would be interesting to compare notes on set ups etc.

What are vibrapods?

PDN
09-09-2008, 06:00 PM
stevemiro5

Yes I do read them but probably not daily like my regular e-mail. Please ask away. I'll make sure I read them. Be glad to assist in any way I can.

Vibrapods are small round vibration cushioning feet filled with air that sit under CD players, DVD players, and turntables to absorb vibration and isolate your components from potential skipping and jittering. They also improve the sound output. I have them under all of my source components. About $24.00 for a set of 4. There is a website but I think I'm not permitted to spell it out on this forum. But you can probably figure it out or I'll give that to you in a private message. I highly recommend them and they're reasonable.

Yes, the Rotel RCD-1072 never ceases to amaze me especially when playing HDCD's. Do you have any of them?

bobsticks
09-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Hey PDN, I know I, and I suspect a lot of others, appreciate your tact and web ettiquette (wish more were like that) but it's okay to post a manufacturer's website (re: Vibrapods) as long as it's in the spirit of mutual instruction.

It'd be different if you owned the company...