Mixed Speaker Setup - What to keep? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mixed Speaker Setup - What to keep?

StevoL
08-21-2008, 07:05 AM
I currently have a 5.1 system with plans at some point to go to 7.1. The problem is, I started buying speakers years ago before I knew what I was doing. So here's what I currently have:

Center - Polk CS245 (not 245i)
LR - Cambridge Soundworks MC100 (not MC105)
Rear - Cambridge MC50 (not MC55)
Sub - Cambridge BassCube 8S

The sub isn't an issue but I want my LCR and Rears to match. So the question is, should I sell my Polk CS245 and replace it with a Cambridge MC155 center or sell my existing Cambridge and replace with Polk Monitors or RTis?

Any advice would be great!

elapsed
08-21-2008, 08:42 AM
Hi Stevo, I haven't auditionned your Cambridge speakers for myself, but the strongest weakness in your current system is certainly the centre channel, as your front speakers are not timbre matched. Seeing as you've already invested in almost a complete Cambridge Soundworks system, I would probably go for the new centre channel.

But a few questions for you -

1. What are the dimensions of your room?
2. What receiver or amp is driving the speakers?
3. What are your sources?
4. What would like to see improved by upgrading your speakers?
5. Is there anything specific you like or don't like about your present system?

From my experience, I would usually hold off on upgrading to a 7.1 system, and instead allocate that budget towards better front speakers, adding a second subwoofer, or upgrading the receiver/amp.

cheers,
elapsed

StevoL
08-22-2008, 06:08 AM
That's what I'm thinking too - sell my Polk center and use the $$ towards a Cambridge Center. I like the Cambridge speakes and I already have a fair amount invested in them.

I'm using an ancient JVC receiver - no digital audio inputs, 5.1 line in only, a cheap DVD player with 5.1 outs, and a 52" 720p DLP that I love. The receiver is the next thing to upgrade and I'm probably going with a Marantz SR4002 in the next couple days. Unless you can suggest something else in the $400 range? Personally, I don't think anything except the Onkyo 606 comes close.

Woochifer
08-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Ditto what elapsed said -- you're already close with the CSW speakers. Makes no sense to build a whole speaker setup around the center speaker. Just get the matching center speaker and be done with it.

Once you get settled with the new receiver, your next upgrade would probably be the subwoofer. With home theater sources, you'll probably want something more substantial.