Grado Prestige carts half off [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Grado Prestige carts half off

dean_martin
08-20-2008, 07:29 AM
If you've ever been curious about the sound of the Grado Prestige line - black, green, blue, red, silver, gold - audiowaveshifi.com has these carts 1/2 off in anticipation of an updated prestige series.

Availability is limited to stock on hand. I ordered a red which I've been curious about for a long time but never tried because of the alleged "hum" with some table/arm combos like Regas, Pro-Jects, etc. Now that I have a Technics 1200 series and I'm looking for something to kind of tame its liveliness in the top end, I'm going to try the Red. A link to the Sale page is below. Scroll down close to the bottom in the left column.

http://www.audiowaveshifi.com/sale.htm

jrhymeammo
08-20-2008, 10:32 AM
So for this new Grado 1 Black, they bumped up the price by 50%. Not really sure if they focused on resolving typcial hum issue with their prestige model.

Hey DM,
Have you tried a Prestige cart on your Technics? If so, does it hum towards a center?

dean_martin
08-20-2008, 12:41 PM
So for this new Grado 1 Black, they bumped up the price by 50%. Not really sure if they focused on resolving typcial hum issue with their prestige model.

Hey DM,
Have you tried a Prestige cart on your Technics? If so, does it hum towards a center?

Not yet. I just ordered the Grado Red. Delivery is scheduled for the 27th. I should have some time Labor Day weekend to put some hours on it then I'll post.

dean_martin
09-02-2008, 08:14 AM
I installed the Grado Red on my Technics table using a Sumiko headshell and did some listening over the long weekend (not as much as hoped as it was necessary to track Gustav and watch college football).

No hum issues. IMO, in my system, the Grado Red yields a better overall presentation than does the Ortofon 2M Red. Although the Ortofon may have some advantages in particular areas, such as leading edge attacks, with the Technics, this often comes off as abrasiveness. The Grado seems to be more cohesive from top to bottom presenting the music as a whole rather than emphasizing different things.

02audionoob
09-21-2008, 08:55 PM
I have a Grado Red that hums, increasing toward the center.

dean_martin
09-23-2008, 09:40 AM
I have a Grado Red that hums, increasing toward the center.

what table do you have? a lot of people with Rega tables and arms report humming problems with Grado carts. I've read some reports from Pro-Ject users too (Pro-Ject and Music Hall are made in the same factory and are substantially though not exactly the same). I have a Pro-Ject table but I haven't tried the Grado with it. I'm using the Grado on a Technics and have no hum issues.

What's the cause of the hum? I don't know, but I've read that it has to do with unshielded wiring in some tonearms or something like that.