Tunesday Toones [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tunesday Toones

Davey
08-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Remember this? How'd your last week unfold, in the musical sense?

Backtracking, last listen for me was Electrelane's swan song, last year's No Shouts No Calls. The ladies had a sound, guess they just couldn't get enough people to like it as much as me.

Before that I think there was some Brian Eno sounds, On Land. Many many years down the twisted path, and still go back here pretty often. Doesn't really lose much context.

Wheat's Hope and Adams got a couple or so spins, moved from the home system to the car, still there. One of those favorites of mine that I way overrate, but we all do it. Great CD, too loud and compressed, but one of the last things Dave Fridmann engineered that is listenable.

And in recent years, almost always some Richard Buckner music in my week, Since at home and Devotion + Doubt in the car. Probably no artist more important to me these days. Well, there is that whole Red Red Meat / Loftus / Sin Ropas / Califone family thing that follows me around like a piece of toilet paper stuck on my shoe, but that's a different thing, those guys are like my misplaced cousins, almost an alter ego.

I remember some Bon Iver before that. Definitely high on the best things I heard this year list. Can't get over how I still don't fully know this record, and I've listened to it tons. I like that.

Some of the latest from Shearwater in there too, Rook is still tops for me. Just a beautiful record.

Listened a few times to Woven Hand, mostly Mosaic. Man, powerful stuff. Really looking forward to the new one coming soon. Reminds me that I need to pick up the Mosaic vinyl while it is still in print.

Kinda foggy after that. Of course, I know most people don't listen to whole records or CDs anymore, but toones is toones. Feel free to play our own game.

Swish
08-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Just wondering...

Yeah, Rook is certainly among my favorites of '08, and maybe better than their previous. Also digging that 25th Anniversary Edition of Script 'o the Bridge by the Chameleons, and the remastered version of Ocean Rain by Echo and the Bunnymen (that show with full orchestra at Radio City is coming up on October 1st and I can't freakin' wait!). Allrighty, enuf living in the past with those last two mention. That Electrelane is still a keeper and I need to pull that from my cases and blow the dust off the sucker. Just spun that incredible Thirteen Cities by Richmond Fontaine while sipping a couple beers and puffing on an Oliva Serie E while contemplating life in general. It's an excellent one for quiet moments when you can just macramé your a<a>ss into a chair and let it consume you.

Swish

Spancticles
08-19-2008, 11:50 AM
i been listening to a lot of
pure reason revolution
the new track is killer
also a lot of killing joke
and alchemist
roooooock out

Hyfi
08-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Last week it was all King Crimson before and after the show. Lots of Clarke-Wooten-Miller stuff getting ready for tonight's show and finally got hold of several Morphine disks that I am enjoying.

jonnyhambone
08-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Well, for one, I listened to some Califone last night...live. They played a free outdoor show for the Walker Art Center's music/movie in the park series. Loring Park is pretty much right downtown but with lots of trees and a lil' lake...not too many people even, I just walked up and sat right in the front. I hadn't seen 'em with the woman playing percussion before - that was nice. Quite a bit from the last one.
Gearing up for the Ray Lamontagne show, I've been spinning lots of Til the Sun Turns Black. Love the subtlety of the horns on this one and am really looking forward to the new one in Oct.
Curse of the Mekons hasn't left my cd changer in the studio for the past week or 2.
Picked up Pacific Ocean Blue, the 'lost' solo album of Dennis Wilson when Sundazed reissued it last month. Pretty incredible. There's a few dated sounding moments but there's others where I forget who I'm listening to and am amazed when I check...stuff that could've come out now...slides between a late night summer buzz feel to downright dark and mournful. Plus, the recording is pretty great and its on blue vinyl.

btw Davey, I have the Mosaic vinyl and its very lovely indeed.

3-LockBox
08-19-2008, 03:35 PM
Throw Me The Statue - Moonbeams // A Seattle act; this one being a one man band of sorts. The pop sensibilities of Grandaddy and a voice/singing style like the guy from Dismemberment Plan, and a penchant for off kilter writing and lyrics that recalls Andrew Bird (sorta) on a few songs. Then for something completely different, track 7, Yuchan Gold is a jumpy, quirky synth driven number in which he channels Adrian Belew. I likey.

Fleet Foxes - selftitled // Yet another Seattle act, these guys seem to have an afinity for old-timey vocalizations and harmonies, for a few songs anyway, but for the most part, they remind me of older My Morning Jacket. I like their approach, but I'm not drinking the 'album of the year' cool-aid the media is pushing.

The Morning Benders - Talking Through Tin Cans // and speaking of band names with double entendre, here is another indy-ish jangle pop quartet that is at least fun to listen to. They'd be all the buzz if they had released this album a few years ago. The lead singer sings through his own, layered vocals and writes bouncy pop that verges on clever. The production is intentionally lo-fi, as if to suggest we're listening through tin cans (har har). This is a short ablum, just a little over 30min long, but its a fun listen the way the first Hot Hot Heat album was (not making a comparison though).

The Notwist - The Devil, You Plus Me // Can't accuse these guys of making the same album over and over again. This is a good listen if you can listen to it in a relaxed environment, but as background music or for a drive, nothing stands out. I love the production of this album, as they go from wall of sound to sedate and back again, all the while mixing various sound effects, but to good effect, not unlike older Porcupine Tree or Pink Floyd (no they don't sound like PT or PF). I likey.

3-LockBox
08-20-2008, 04:46 AM
i been listening to a lot of pure reason revolution the new track is killer

Where did you here this? I've been monitering their MySpace, but I haven't seen any new CD yet. When I see it, its bought. Do you have their first one?

3-LockBox
08-20-2008, 05:03 AM
Picked up Pacific Ocean Blue, the 'lost' solo album of Dennis Wilson when Sundazed reissued it last month. Pretty incredible. There's a few dated sounding moments but there's others where I forget who I'm listening to and am amazed when I check...stuff that could've come out now...slides between a late night summer buzz feel to downright dark and mournful. Plus, the recording is pretty great and its on blue vinyl.

My neighbor has that one on vinyl, from years ago (I don't remenber it being blue). I listened to it a few years back when I was pouring through his collection. I remember it being pretty good. He could do the 'gritty' thing as well be whistful (like his brother). It was a very diverse sounding album IIRC. Yer right, some of it did sound dated, but not in a corny way (one needs to remember they're listening to a Beach Boy).

Bernd
08-20-2008, 05:22 AM
I will hop on late.
The BBC showed Van Morrison in Session last week and that got me to revisit some of ol'Vans output.
Hymns to the Silence
Moondance
Tupelo Honey
Poetic Champion Compose
All good and not listend to enough I am afraid. That got me onto some World Music
Youssou N'Dour - Rokku Mi Rokka
A true to form disc with some great sunshine tunes and oh man that voice.
But the highlight was a trully long session of parts from the 21 disc e'thiopiques series. Not only is the music beautiful, but it's also historicaly important. As most of these recordings where layed down in secret under fear of prison or death during some tough times in the 60s and 70s in that country. I have also got a best of comp. If anyone is interested.
A little Shearwater of course. Rook still riding high. The new Calexico I like very much. And finished the week off with the new Tindersticks- Hungry Saw.
That's it I guess.

bobsticks
08-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Remember this? How'd your last week unfold, in the musical sense?

Hmmmnn. The last seven days have been rather busy, and so, have not been a high water mark for musical enjoyment. Nonetheless, we managed to pull out some of the good stuff 'round these parts.

The latter part of last week was still dominated by Shearwater and Calexico. Carried To Dust is becoming a favorite, an almost default play around here. Prolly some Sea and Cake too.

I picked up the Remastered Edition of Bryan Ferry's "Let's Stick Together" which is a clear improvement over its predecessor. Big Blue Ball got some play as well. Miles Davis' 'Round About Midnight and Simone Kermes' Amor Profano:Vivaldi Arias saw me through the quiet times.

For a distinctly unquiet time Motor's 2007 release Unhuman did the deal. Great night driving music. Kinda like old, dissonant Kraftwerk combined with Back Catalogue-era Front 242 with a modern twist.

As this week started I opened the mail to find a couple of winners. The Kissaway Trail has enough jingley-jangley folk that it surprises me I haven't heard more mentions on this board. The Dualers' Melting Pot takes the same sensibilities and adds a not-so-subtle note of ska.

The big winner of the week has been Amos Lee's Last Days At The Lodge a folky-bluesy affair with some fantastic production and pithy passages. Lee calls in Doyle Bramhall for some sideman duties...and the young bluesman delivers with all the taste and subtlety that his pedigree would imply.

http://www.amoeba.com/dynamic-images/in-store_images_LA/AmosLeeCDWEB.jpg

Good thread Monkey-man.

MindGoneHaywire
08-20-2008, 10:17 AM
3 favorites so far this summer--Duffy, the Dr. Boogie collection of Bob Hite's blues 78s, & the last Wondermints album, from 2002. Also mostly digging the new Beck album, but the Sloan rec Parallel Play has gotten a lot of spins also. And the first two Belle & Sebastian albums. The Fleet Foxes are okay but the hype is annoying & there's way too much James Brown influence, ha ha.

The Pacific Ocean blue package is nice, but I never thought it was a great album to begin with. Not bad, but it kind of acquired status over the years I never thought it quite deserved--unlike, say, SMiLE. The Wondermints rec is superior to my ears, though different, of course. In more of a similar vein, though, I liked the new Ed Harcourt.

Also, I was lucky enough to snatch the 49-cent Paul Westerberg album-in-progress before it was yanked due to copyright violations. Some good songs on there, though it has moments where songs are mixed in on top of each other, which is sort of annoying, but not all that much considering it's a real good PW album & the price was sure right. Followed up with the 5:05 track on Tunecore which completes the album (sold as 1 track, titled 49, and it was 43:55, which was 5:05 short of a 49:00 offering, hence...)

Slosh
08-20-2008, 11:50 PM
Calexico. Carried To Dust is becoming a favorite, an almost default play around here.Got my hands on the real thing yesterday. Jealous? :p

Also been spinning a bunch of stuff from Jeff Tweedy's personal collection :) No time to go into it now but will follow up a bit when I have some time (Urrgh, twelve hour days at work for the last five weeks. Money's nice but I'd prefer to have my life back).

NP: (duh!)

3-LockBox
08-21-2008, 05:01 AM
I didn't know Calexico had a new one out. How does it compare to the rest of their output? I like Garden Ruin and love Feast Of Wire, but Hot Rail fails to grab me, other than a few tracks - too Tijuana Brass meets Wishbone Ash for me.

Davey
08-21-2008, 11:54 AM
So, did my new list motivate you to revive this? Just wondering...

No, but the thought of you macraméing your ass does have me reconsidering what my motivation might have been :sosp:

Something from the new Luke Doucet playing right now on the latest Paste sampler. Man, if the real CD sounds like this, real shame. Total crap in your face mastering job. The Joshua James tune sounds like fun, though. And of course the Bon Iver, like a breath of fresh air, along with the opener from that funky Janelle Monae, she's got a pretty unique sound, kind of a mix of B52's and Prince, or something weird like that. Not sure about the puffy company she keeps, but that "Violet Stars Happy Hunting" song is pretty cool. As usual, the rest of the CD is kinda bland.

Swish
08-21-2008, 12:41 PM
No, but the thought of you macraméing your ass does have me reconsidering what my motivation might have been :sosp:

Something from the new Luke Doucet playing right now on the latest Paste sampler. Man, if the real CD sounds like this, real shame. Total crap in your face mastering job. The Joshua James tune sounds like fun, though. And of course the Bon Iver, like a breath of fresh air, along with the opener from that funky Janelle Monae, she's got a pretty unique sound, kind of a mix of B52's and Prince, or something weird like that. Not sure about the puffy company she keeps, but that "Violet Stars Happy Hunting" song is pretty cool. As usual, the rest of the CD is kinda bland.

I guess it sort of bores me. I think Mojo is far superior in that it delves into older stuff too, while Paste seems to heap praise on every singer/songwriter in the world, regardless of their talent or lack thereof.

Since I can no longer edit my response (time expired I suppose), I meant to say Oliva Serie V, not E. They don't even have an E. Dang. I did, however, intend to say I like to macramé my butt into the sofa on occasion. Call it a well-earned rest after a long day of work.

Swish - feel the burn

Slosh
08-21-2008, 02:25 PM
I didn't know Calexico had a new one out. How does it compare to the rest of their output? I like Garden Ruin and love Feast Of Wire, but Hot Rail fails to grab me, other than a few tracks - too Tijuana Brass meets Wishbone Ash for me.Well, it's more experimental than Garden Ruin but less so than Feast Of Wire.

NP:

3-LockBox
08-21-2008, 03:56 PM
All this talk of Calexico and Feast Of Wire has me wanting to whip it out (the CD) and give it a spin tonight.

I'm also getting into Midlake's Bamnan & Silvercork, which I got soon after the Van Occupanther disc, but whoa, two completely different albums. I put it aside for a while and only recently started giving it some more rotation. It is, as they say, a grower.

bobsticks
08-21-2008, 04:13 PM
Whattup 3LB. I'm confident that if you like Garden Ruin that you'll like the new one. The Tex-Mex vibe is evident but perhaps not so palpable as to be disconcerting. From the opening track nothing is overbearing and at midpoint, by Writer's Minor Holiday there is a stylistic refinement.

Hey Sloshy, "Small bones, Small bodies...the tiniest exoskeletons..." off one of yer comps...who be dat? I need to rawk and I must have new tunes.

Recommendations are welcome.

Slosh
08-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Hey Sloshy, "Small bones, Small bodies...the tiniest exoskeletons..." off one of yer comps...who be dat? I need to rawk and I must have new tunes.

Recommendations are welcome.Future Of The Left
The album is Curses and in my mind is really the fourth McLusky album. I like it a lot but recommend McLusky Do Dallas first if you don't already have it. sshhh, I'll hook ya up with a preview of a couple of things . . . . . .

Who is this 3 lb. dude anyway? :confused:

bobsticks
08-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Future Of The Left
The album is Curses and in my mind is really the fourth McLusky album. I like it a lot but recommend McLusky Do Dallas first if you don't already have it. sshhh, I'll hook ya up with a preview of a couple of things . . . . . .

Kewl. I got the angst bro. I will have noise...

Heywouldja tell me? :D

3-LockBox
08-22-2008, 05:12 AM

I ain't been 3 lbs since my mother's first trimester.