Finally ready to buy a Blu Ray player (I think).... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Finally ready to buy a Blu Ray player (I think)....

corkster
08-19-2008, 09:16 AM
Well after months of pondering I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Blu Ray player.....

Looking for the best player in the sub $400.00 range. Please make recommendations. This player will be replacing my Denon 2900. TIA.

Greg

L.J.
08-19-2008, 09:26 AM
Not much available for $400 that offers the full package. I would suggest the PS3, but it doesn't have analog outputs. I assume you plan on keeping your AVR so you would need a player that is capable of decoding all the HD audio formats and outputting over 5.1 analog.

You could save up a bit for the Panasonic BD50 which is out now. MSRP $599.

Or the new Sony S550 coming out soon. MSRP $499.

Here's a list of new & upcoming players and features:
http://www.blu-ray.com/players/

corkster
08-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the response and the link. I may need to educate myself a little more here....

Why would I need the analog inputs? Is this for the TrueHD feature? If just using the DD is the connection made via optical or coax?

Yes, I will be keeping my B&K although it lacks the HDMI input/outputs that I want and need is there an external box I can purchase that interfaces with my receiver?

\Greg

L.J.
08-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the response and the link. I may need to educate myself a little more here....

Some additional info you may find useful:
http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=232987&postcount=1

Why would I need the analog inputs? Is this for the TrueHD feature? If just using the DD is the connection made via optical or coax?

You would need the analog ins for the decoded HD audio. The player would do the decoding, bass management and send the signal to your AVR via the 5.1 analog outs. It's the only way to get HD audio if you don't have HDMI.

Optical or coax can be used for standard DD & DTS but can't handle the HD audio.

Yes, I will be keeping my B&K although it lacks the HDMI input/outputs that I want and need is there an external box I can purchase that interfaces with my receiver?

\Greg

Not sure about that. If your MC analog ins are currently in use, I believe there's a switch available that will allow you to hook 2 5.1 set of cables to 1 5.1 AVR input.

Edit: Yeah, a quick google of 5.1 analog switch pulled up a few options.

pixelthis
08-20-2008, 12:18 AM
My sony bdps300 is a fine player.
It cost 300 bucks and is a true bargain, newer ones ship with the latest
firmware, making sure that anything plays on it.
And the sound is impressive, even standard DD and DTS, and upconversion is the best I have seen yet.
My friend has a Samsung, and its pretty nice also, but no 5.1 out,
so I cant reccomend it to you, you will need 5.1 channel out to hear
Lossless sound, which is really nice.
And another thing, long loading times are a fact, but mostly when you first crank it up, afterwards its not so bad:1: