PS3 Firmware updates removing playback codecs? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Firmware updates removing playback codecs?

f0rge
08-18-2008, 11:25 AM
i'm sure not many of you use your PS3s to stream videos, but i do...well i used to.

i have a bunch of movies in XVID and tv shows in H.264 on a network drive (HP MediaVault) and i use that to stream movies to my PS3 and Xbox360.

6 months ago i could stream both the Xvid and the H.264 to my PS3, 4 months ago it was down to just the H.264 and after the last update (2.42) it wont play either. the files show up as "Unsupported Data".

now my 360 could always play the Xvid movies, so when that stopped on the PS3 i wasnt so concerned, but now neither can play the H.264 format files.

what's up with that? i thought Sony was billing this thing a media hub? what's the point if it cant play any video files?

some of my colleagues claim to have success using USB hard drives or memory sticks, something i've yet to try but also something i'm not really interested in. i just want my functionality back!

Rich-n-Texas
08-18-2008, 11:38 AM
I've yet to be able to get my PS3 to find videos on my computer's HD, so I can't help ya there. I'm having issues when I try to stream MP3's AND WMA's. I have some entire CD's ripped to my HD, the PS3 will play some, but will refuse to play other WMA ripped CD's. With some MP3's, the song will stream okay the first time, but the next time I try to play it, I get a "corrupted file" error, or words to that affect. I blame it all on Windows Media Player though. :yesnod:

f0rge
08-18-2008, 11:43 AM
windows media player is balls, i gave up on that whole windows thing earlier this year and i haven't looked back since. (well except every day when i get to work and have to use my office PC lol).

cant you just "share" the folder in windows and have the PS3 pick it up? if not that i think L.J. runs some sort of streaming program. either of those options are better than WMP.

Rich-n-Texas
08-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Man I share all sortsa chit over my network, never changes anything though.

Yeah, L.J. uses versa-something-or-other. Someday when WMP annoys me to a near-death(of the PC) experience, I'll break down and try something else.

L.J.
08-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Sorry man, I'm unfamiliar with streaming video. I mean I do family stuff but no movies or nothing like that. You should try AVS or the Playstation forums.

I've been using Tversity since it supports FLAC.