How do HSU subs compare to their competitors? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How do HSU subs compare to their competitors?

acqui
03-10-2004, 07:24 PM
I noticed that HSU subs, as well as SVS are getting alot of good reviews. I was wondering how they compare to the Polks, Energy, Velodyne CHT series, Infinity Aplha sub etc. I know most of them subs are between $700-$1000. Does anyone have the VTF 3 and how does it sound on music, ht? I am looking for a very musical sub that will also work well in an HT system. Listen to alot of acoustic string guitar, classic reggae, flameco music. Thanks

46minaudio
03-10-2004, 07:34 PM
I noticed that HSU subs, as well as SVS are getting alot of good reviews. I was wondering how they compare to the Polks, Energy, Velodyne CHT series, Infinity Aplha sub etc. I know most of them subs are between $700-$1000. Does anyone have the VTF 3 and how does it sound on music, ht? I am looking for a very musical sub that will also work well in an HT system. Listen to alot of acoustic string guitar, classic reggae, flameco music. Thanks

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=558589&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

Luis31
03-10-2004, 07:41 PM
Acqui,

I currently own a VTF-2 and am very, very pleased with its performance. I know you are asking about the VTF-3, but you can use the VTF-2 as a point of reference. As far as the competitors you mentioned in your post, other than SVS (highly recommended too...), the others come up short IMO. I have 2 systems in my house. The system in my "game room" is my reference system. I used to have a Paradigm PW-2200 sub (highly regarded in this forum as well...) handling LFE duties on my reference system, until I tried the VTF-2 for comparison sake.

The result: the VTF-2 "smoked" the PW-2200 in low frequency extension, plays lower and with more authority. Impressive, considering the VTF-2 costs $449 directly from Hsu Research, while the PW-2200 costs around $799 retail. The VTF-2 is now in my reference system and the PW-2200 is downstairs in my secondary system. I had the opportunity to audition the VTF-3 at Hsu Research in Anaheim, CA a while back. Simply "jaw-dropping" bass performance. I must tell you I listem 50/50 music/HT, and the VTF-2 is quite "musical", quick response, and easy to integrate with other speakers.

Just my two cents...

-Luis

Worf101
03-10-2004, 08:32 PM
I find them both to be quite musical... the 3 is front firing and quite large and this might be problematic in medium to small rooms... Finding the optimal spot for a front firing sub has been more difficult for me than the downfiring 2. The 3 handles all kinds of music from old school soul and funk to the better half's classical with equal aplomb. And it ain't half bad on movies either. One other consideration is that the Hsu brand is still owned and operated by Dr. Hsu. The customer service is outstanding, second to none. I cannot say the Hsu sounds better than any sub I've not owned or listened to extensively, but I know it beats the pants off my old JBL PB12, my old Pold 8 incher and several other cheapies I moved on to other folks systems...

You may be able to better than the VTF-3 but you certainly can do a lot worse...

Da Worfster :o

Bryan
03-11-2004, 06:04 AM
Haven't listened extensively to the HSU subs (actually, not at all) but their reputation is solid and you shouldn't hesitate to buy one. Yesterday I received a VMPS Large Subwoofer (basically, it appears to be an old version of the New Original Subwoofer having one active 12" woofer and a passive 15"). For music it is a little tighter than my SVS 20-39CS with ISD. For HT, they are just about equal. Of course, that is just my initial impression. If you have something to power it with other than your primary receiver you should consider either a VMPS or SVS passive subwoofer.

nightflier
03-11-2004, 01:23 PM
One factor that reduces the manufacturing cost for down-firing HSU and SVS tube subs is that the cylinder is the least expensive way to provide the capacity and strength necessary for producing extremely low frequencies. The trade-off is that the cylinder is "less attractive" and quite large, although I find the hefty size actually reassuring.

I own an SVS 16-46 sub ($650), and there is nothing out there under $1500 that can produce such clean, tight bass, even below 16Hz, according to SVS. My preference is for classical music and I gauge equipment by how well I can make out the different instruments that make up the orchestra. That said, I was listening to a modern cello solo, and the system was able to reproduce the deep notes with finesse, even the occasional stumming on the strings. I know it's not quite your type of music, but I don't think you can go wrong with these subs.

To echo the others, if you have an old amp laying around, you can save even more by buying a passive sub. SVS sells the 16-46 ci, same as mine w/o the amp, for just $479.

03-11-2004, 05:03 PM
Hey, whats the difference between HSU's VTF and STF anyways?
I have always wondered that

F1
03-12-2004, 12:25 AM
Hey, whats the difference between HSU's VTF and STF anyways?
I have always wondered that

With VTF (Variable Tuning Freq) sub you can select either max SPL output (at expense of higher freq response) or max extension. In max extension mode the sub will deliver lower freq but SPL output is lower, too. STF (Single Tuning Freq?) sub is fixed at one mode. STF-2 is fixed at max extension while STF-3 is fixed at max output.

Sealed
03-12-2004, 12:50 AM
I own an SVS 16-46 sub ($650), and there is nothing out there under $1500 that can produce such clean, tight bass, even below 16Hz, according to SVS.

That would be wrong. I have relegated my SVS-16-46 to my HT rig. I have replaced it in my music rig with a 15" Dayton Titanic MKIII. It was $799 from parts express with a 1024 watt amp.

This sub has more impact firing directly on my concrete floor, and is tighter than the SVS.

The SVS is beatable for $799.

vivisimonvi
03-12-2004, 02:15 AM
As the other poster said, the cylinder design costs and weighs less. I actually like them (I have an SVS 25-31PCi myself, they're smallest cylinder model which are LARGE if you see them up front). This is my fourth subwoofer and the best by far. Infinity subs seem to dissatify me... My dad had a Micro II surround set about 10 years ago with a passive sub that didn't seem to have an internal crossover (No RCA subwoofer inputs either, just speaker in and outs), just got full range sound out of a sub (??). I bought a powered Entra Sub 2 that I fried within 30 days, couldn't handle the abuse I put upon it (either that or a faulty sub itself). The SVS is very intimidating.. they are rather large but lightweight compared to most box subs that look small. They can put out tremendous power.

I'm probably the only one to admit this type of response but, I actually prefer my 35-watt Aiwa sub for my room instead of the SVS... It just rattles too many things when the volume is high enough. In a sense I can appreciate the power the SVS can bring when I listen to that after getting used to my Aiwa for long periods of time (I've had this subwoofer for over 6 years, I seem attached to it). I occassionaly downgrade my system for awhile, get used to it for some time, then listen to my main gear again that sounds almost brand new to me.

HSU seems reputable as well compared to SVS, there are some hot debates going on in other forums of those two companies... Whatever you chose, you most definately will be moving your sub around to find the best spot for bass response... Cylinders are very easy to move compared to the box subs.

Sealed
03-12-2004, 02:22 AM
HSU seems reputable as well compared to SVS, there are some hot debates going on in other forums of those two companies... Whatever you chose, you most definately will be moving your sub around to find the best spot for bass response... Cylinders are very easy to move compared to the box subs.

I second that. My svs was a snap to bear-hug and move into my Ht rig. My Dayton is large and heavy stock. I added some MDF bracing and the thing weighs over 100lbs. It is a pain to move because of it's mass and weight.

I kept mine in a corner, it works well there for maximum spl/HT. For music, it was better out of a corner.

johnwalker
03-13-2004, 10:48 AM
To put it bluntly, they compare very very very well to competitors!

The VTF-3 Mark II new subwoofer is $649 currently (and that includes shipping), my goodness! Comes with a lot of little goodies too, such as user customizable bass characteristics and a lit logo and nice metal spiked feet. The TN1220HO is much lighter and easier to hide on the vertical plane though.

nightflier
03-15-2004, 04:32 PM
...15" Dayton Titanic MKIII. It was $799 from parts express with a 1024 watt amp.... This sub has more impact firing directly on my concrete floor, and is tighter than the SVS. ...The SVS is beatable for $799.

Isn't this a kit that you have to build? While I don't think this is a bad idea, this may not be ideal for everyone. As for this sub having tighter bass, I have a hard time believing that. I auditioned 12 different subs under $1000, and the SVS was far superior. That said, I did not include the Daytona sub... and I don't have 1024 watts in my sub, although if you need that much power to outperform a 325W sub, maybe there are some efficiency issues involved...

Anyhow, it seems that many people turn the volume way too high on the SVS's amp. While this might add that couch-shaking thump to action flicks (especially on a hard floor), it does not work well for music, particularly classical music. When I tested the subs, my torture track was a Cesar Franck CD with really deep organ, and very few subs could handle this accurately. I regularly have the volume set at about 15-20% so that it blends seamlessly with the other speakers. Tuning the sub is tricky and most people don't take the time. This is is also why it's a good idea to buy a passive sub with an external amp that has a remote.

This Guy
03-15-2004, 06:14 PM
The Dayton doesn't NEED all that power, but why the hell not? It's just offering more performance for your dollar than most other subs in this price range. It may also sound tighter than the SVS because it's sealed, you wouldn't understand if you haven't heard a well made sealed sub. Due to the sub being sealed, it isn't as efficient as a ported sub because you don't hear the sub drivers backwave. It makes up for that loss with all of that power. Just setting the facts straight.

-Joey